How much would you pay for the ultimate entertainment service?

Ken Stone

This is a complete hypothetical. This service does not exist and there may be many reasons why it never will. However I think it is an interesting question so I would like to get other opinions.

Let's pretend there was a company that came along and offered the following service:

-Unlimited streaming of all music that has ever been made.

-Unlimited streaming of all movies, from the past and currently in the theaters.

-Unlimited streaming of all TV shows, past, present, and current

-Unlimited streaming of all digital books

-Live streaming of all Sporting Events (that are current available for viewing on a channel)

-All of this and you can watch/listen on any device that can receive streaming media.

You would be able to get rid of your cable bill, netflix, Amazon Prime, stop buying music, stop buying books, etc.

The question is, how much would you pay monthly for this service?

It's not a service I'd be particularly interested in unless it was under $100. I like buying music, movies, and books; plus you have to be around something that can stream your content, which is not always available.

Does this service also provide stuff like free two-day shipping on anything I want? Does it include high speed internet service?

If it offers all the shopping benefits of Amazon Prime and also includes high speed internet, I'd pay maybe $125/month. Which really isn't much more than what I'd currently pay for internet, full cable/on demand package, amazon prime, kindle unlimited, and netflix. I'd only pay a tiny bit extra for the convenience of having it all on one bill.

I thought this was just streaming stuff. All the music I stream is free, so I wouldn't pay anything extra to add this service.

The price per would decrease the more services added. I basically have all of the services described in the OP, plus free two-day shipping (and my area has two-hour shipping, so that's even more of a bonus), and no way do I collectively pay more than $115 (ETA: bad math) $120 a month total, and I don't even use any of the dumb sports stuff, but it's included only because having all movie stations and on demand makes buying the package with sports more affordable than just doing ala carte.

Does this service also provide stuff like free two-day shipping on anything I want? Does it include high speed internet service?

If it offers all the shopping benefits of Amazon Prime and also includes high speed internet, I'd pay maybe $125/month. Which really isn't much more than what I'd currently pay for internet, full cable/on demand package, amazon prime, kindle unlimited, and netflix. I'd only pay a tiny bit extra for the convenience of having it all on one bill.

WTF, that costs LESS than $125 for you? My internet alone is $100.

WTF, that costs LESS than $125 for you? My internet alone is $100.

Holy shit, that's insane. Do you happen to have Comcast? I checked them out and they had what I thought were ridiculous prices. Internet plus HBO "special" (no other stations, not even basic networks) was $99.

To be fair, my cable and internet costs are a 12 month special. I usually just work my way into getting it extended over and over and over again. But yeah, right now I have one of those 'every station you can imagine' plus internet service and it's less than $100. Adding in Am Prime, Kindle Unlimited, and Netflix probably pumps it up to $120. Though I'm guestimating since I keep getting "Am Prime free for a year" specials on items I buy so I'm going on year three of free Am Prime.

So just streaming, no web-browsing? Well that means I still have a internet bill, so that cuts into my price point.

I'd pay, say, $100. Its a bit low, but right now I only pay for Netflix and stand-alone HBO (I don't watch much and I don't stream music) so I have a very low price tolerance. And I would never use the digital books part, I hate that stuff.

Now if you included streaming video games, then we'd be talking closer to $300 I think.

Well I currently pay about $120 for cable, roughly $8 each for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu, plus whatever I end up spending on music (not counting books, since I mostly like to own physical copies), so that's $144 per month at a minimum. Add to that that this service would allow me to watch movies still in theaters, as well as live sports (which is a biggie since I can't watch the Dodgers right now no matter what I'm willing to pay), and this service is easily worth $200 a month, probably a lot more.

My cable/internet package is like $160 / month and I also have Netflix which is another 10 bucks or whatever it is. I have DVR and On Demand and HBO + most of the sports channels and I have one of the faster internet options. It was actually even more expensive with that until I threatened to drop them and they lowered my bill.

Still, I think that my cable bill is much too expensive and I'm constantly in debating with myself about dropping it. If I got all of what Ken mentioned for around $200 per month I might consider that worth it.

I really wish you could a la carte your channels for say $10/month for each. I only really watch AMC, HBO, the ESPN channels, and FOX sports channels when it's football season. I hate that I'm paying over 150/month basically so that I can watch HBO and AMC and not have to go to the bar every time I want to watch a game. My original cable package was $70 a month but didn't even include ESPN. It was pretty much just local access crap and Univision.

Holy shit, that's insane. Do you happen to have Comcast? I checked them out and they had what I thought were ridiculous prices. Internet plus HBO "special" (no other stations, not even basic networks) was $99.

I have Comcast/Xfinity and I pay about $200 a month for the triple play package which is cable/phone/wifi. After the first year special it went up from $140. I have all the movie channels but it's still way too much.

I have Comcast/Xfinity and I pay about $200 a month for the triple play package which is cable/phone/wifi. After the first year special it went up from $140. I have all the movie channels but it's still way too much.

I have something comparable, but I have Time Warner, and mine was also at $200 not too long ago. I moved across town in Jan. and told them that I only wanted internet at the new place because the bundle was too expensive and they ended up dropping the price to $160 and I agreed to keep the bundle for that cost. I still think it is too expensive but it helped. Maybe call them and threaten to switch due to the high cost? They might give you a break to keep you in the fold.

That's what I do. If they can afford to only charge X amount for 12-24 months, there is no reason anyone should have to pay 2 times that when the "special" runs out. If they don't want to drop the price, I have in the past canceled service for a day or two and then restarted it with a brand new 'special' price.

This is a complete hypothetical. This service does not exist and there may be many reasons why it never will. However I think it is an interesting question so I would like to get other opinions.

Let's pretend there was a company that came along and offered the following service:

-Unlimited streaming of all music that has ever been made.

-Unlimited streaming of all movies, from the past and currently in the theaters.

-Unlimited streaming of all TV shows, past, present, and current

-Unlimited streaming of all digital books

-Live streaming of all Sporting Events (that are current available for viewing on a channel)

-All of this and you can watch/listen on any device that can receive streaming media.

You would be able to get rid of your cable bill, netflix, Amazon Prime, stop buying music, stop buying books, etc.

The question is, how much would you pay monthly for this service?

nothing since that already exists for free.

I have something comparable, but I have Time Warner, and mine was also at $200 not too long ago. I moved across town in Jan. and told them that I only wanted internet at the new place because the bundle was too expensive and they ended up dropping the price to $160 and I agreed to keep the bundle for that cost. I still think it is too expensive but it helped. Maybe call them and threaten to switch due to the high cost? They might give you a break to keep you in the fold.

I tried that and they called my bluff. Comcast's customer service is infamous for being awful and non-helpful so it's no surprise it didn't work for me.

That's what I do. If they can afford to only charge X amount for 12-24 months, there is no reason anyone should have to pay 2 times that when the "special" runs out. If they don't want to drop the price, I have in the past canceled service for a day or two and then restarted it with a brand new 'special' price.

That is actually a good idea, I never even thought to do that.

$60 a month. People are always taken in by the unlimited access, etc. But they forget they have limited time to consume even if you're a bum who don't need to work. So the unlimited is not going to do me or the average person much good anyway. Same marketing gimmick as a buffet.

Archived