Margaery incrimination too easy?

While Olyvar's testimony about Loras at least had the birthmark to give support (still hardly definitive), his claim about Margaery seeing them didn't have any proof whatsoever. He just said that she saw them once, and didn't give any more details. I didn't see why Margaery couldn't just plead ignorance. Was it just supposed to illustrate the kangaroo court nature of the trial?

Agreed.

First of all, Olyvar was his squire. He would have seen him naked. Next.

Second of all, why trust Olyvar's confession over the Queen of Thorns, Queen of Westeros, and the heir to Highgarden. He didn't look like he was tortured. He was smug and smiling. Next.

Third of all, Margaery being arrested on perjury is ridiculous, because it was he-said-she-said. That's hardly a compelling reason to throw her in a dungeon.

Overall, extremely contrived and disappointing, which seems to now be par for the course.

I agree.

To me the whole scene made no sense whatsoever.

Olyvar was a squire.

Squire is essentially a male version of a handmaiden, right?

It is perfectly normal for a squire to happen to see his knight naked at some point.Don't they help them get dressedm help them with grooming or baths etc?

The birthmark being incriminating evidence of Loras being gay was just shoddy .

Also perjury isn't much of a serious crime enough to lock up the Queen herself.

She was just protecting her brother.

They should have gone with adultery.It's a much more serious offence and they could have easily done that in the show.

I agree.

To me the whole scene made no sense whatsoever.

[...]

Thank you. My sanity is grateful that others share my thoughts.

It has become very clear that the showrunners/writers are not really thinking any of this original material through and it's wretched.

Agreed.

First of all, Olyvar was his squire. He would have seen him naked. Next.

My first thought exactly. He was his squire, he would have dressed him. That's just some sloppy writing, imo. And there's no evidence to arrest Margaery on at all. IMO, while I'm okay with most changes, the way they've handled everything with Loras is awful.

The whole plotline is idiotic, but arresting the freaking queen because she supposedly lied to save her brother is the cherry on top.

For sure. I quite honestly was under the impression that her lying about her brother being straight would then = Renly being straight too, in their eyes, which would then = oh, so she wasn't a maiden before Tommen and *enter book stuff.* Alas.

For sure. I quite honestly was under the impression that her lying about her brother being straight would then = Renly being straight too, in their eyes, which would then = oh, so she wasn't a maiden before Tommen and *enter book stuff.* Alas.

See, I would have bought that!!

To be fair, her arrest seems to be based on her lying to the High Septon/Sparrow and breaking a vow with the gods, which is a logical reason for a group of armed religious fanatics to arrest someone, mayhaps even a queen.

("Do you swear by the Seven ... to the best of your knowledge?)

If Olyvar claims that she walked in on them, then evidently to the best of her knowledge she did know that such a thing may have happened.

While Olyvar's testimony about Loras at least had the birthmark to give support (still hardly definitive), his claim about Margaery seeing them didn't have any proof whatsoever. He just said that she saw them once, and didn't give any more details. I didn't see why Margaery couldn't just plead ignorance. Was it just supposed to illustrate the kangaroo court nature of the trial?

I'm confused as to how we're supposed to imagine a square isn't expected to have seen his knight's birthmark.

Why does everyone assume that Margery is sentenced to death? She has been only taken into custody to await a real trial. Even if she is found guilty in the trial [which she might well be since it will be a stacked trial anyways] it won't be a death sentence...

This is obviously in the hypothetical scenario where the Queen of Thorns doesn't get her out via political maneuvering...

It's just poor writing. They could have at least made it less obvious without reminding everyone that he was Loras squire. Aging up Tommen is really backfiring too.

The plus for aging Tommen:

1) Sex scene with Margaery

The minuses:

1) He should have regency at his age and Cersei should be nothing.

2) He shouldn't act like a six year old who can't speak or comprehend what is happening when his queen is threatened or he is challenged.

3) He isn't sweet, young and naïve, he is indecisive and a door mat that anyone can walk over.

4) He signed the order arming the faith, how about signing another one disarming them? For all Margaery's alluded scheming she hasn't accomplished convincing him of even that yet?

Archived