Why Shireen has to burn [Book Spoilers]

hallam

I think some of you have a little too much wishful thinking going on with Selyse not having a part to play in Shireen's burning/attempted burning. If you remember from either season 3 or 4 Mel had Selyse look into the flames to show her why they had to bring Shireen with them. If you remember Mel said something along the lines of "you don't need any lies my Queen. You can see the truth." Whatever Mel is planning Selyse has most likely known about it the whole time. Now perhaps at the last minute she saves her daughter. That would be touching.

Nah.

Mel is an important character. I think more important than most realize. She will certainly play a role in the coming battle against the others.

She hasnt made it through 5 books surrounded by all of that mystery just to be killed off on a whim.

I can see Cersei not making it past the end of book 6 and Mel becoming the main evil adversary.

Yep, I think she is on the side of the others or a group exactly the same but opposite.

The weird thing though if Shireen burns and Jon revives, is then it somehow ties him to R'hollor. But he is really of the Old Gods. I guess it is similar to if Mel revived him directly but it somehow seems a little different. It's more indirect to use Shireen to resurrect him which makes it even more "godly"/magicky IMO. I don't know if the show would make such a distinction though, the Old Gods haven't really been a thing like they are in the books.

I am trying to come up with the mechanics of how this would happen. Carice essentially confirms in this interview that she will be back with Jon before the end of the fifth season and she confirms in this interview, if you read between the lines, that she will be back for the sixth season. So the idea that Stannis would condone the burning of Shireen or that he will kill Melisandre is out the window.

I think the best bet is that Stannis will be sending Shireen and Selyse back to the Wall for their own safety, perhaps also to get Shireen away from Melisandre and/or at the instigation of Davos. Perhaps he sends Davos along with them and to retrieve Rickon after he learns about him. Melisandre, on the other hand, would follow after seeing something in her fires.

No! If Davos goes north with them he'll probably be killed when Selyse or Mel decides to burn Shireen. It'd be even worse for him to watch her burn. :crying:

I doubt he would be there or it would never happen. Like I said, if Davos is sent with them, it would probably involve him dropping them off before leading a search for Rickon. Or honestly, maybe Davos does not even go with them, and he leads the search for Rickon after Stannis sends him away from Winterfell in the tenth episode.

I doubt he would be there or it would never happen. Like I said, if Davos is sent with them, it would probably involve him dropping them off before leading a search for Rickon. Or honestly, maybe Davos does not even go with them, and he leads the search for Rickon after Stannis sends him away from Winterfell in the tenth episode.

Either way, gonna be sad to see or hear Shireen burn.

If the burning takes place, I imagine it will be while Stannis and Davos are out of the camp. Say, they march out to fight the Boltons, and Melisandre and Selyse burn Shireen to bring victory. Then Stannis returns victorious, and is horrified to find his daughter's charred body, chained to a stake.

If the burning takes place, I imagine it will be while Stannis and Davos are out of the camp. Say, they march out to fight the Boltons, and Melisandre and Selyse burn Shireen to bring victory. Then Stannis returns victorious, and is horrified to find his daughter's charred body, chained to a stake.

As I already noted above, Carice basically confirmed that she would be rejoining Jon this season, so it is highly unlikely that Melisandre will be burning Shireen in Stannis' camp.

As I already noted above, Carice basically confirmed that she would be rejoining Jon this season, so it is highly unlikely that Melisandre will be burning Shireen in Stannis' camp.

Figured. Stannis will send her back or something. There's no way she's burning Shireen. I predicted she'd press the issue and he'd send her back to the Wall.

But it will be funny that an innocent girl burning will be less controversial than Sansa rape. Gotta love feminism.

I think there will be plenty of outrage if Shireen is burned, but regardless of which event generates the most outrage, fans aren't wrong to upset when they feel changes from the source material are poorly justified and do the series a disservice. I'm no book purist either, but this is probably my least favorite season of the show so far. I really hope Shireen's fate doesn't come to this. :(

Let's not forget book Shireen is also pretty close to fvcked, what with Val gunning for her and all.

That's true but then again Davos is predicted to serve R'hllor one more time and now he's off hunting Rickon who also has king's blood...

I think some of you have a little too much wishful thinking going on with Selyse not having a part to play in Shireen's burning/attempted burning. If you remember from either season 3 or 4 Mel had Selyse look into the flames to show her why they had to bring Shireen with them. If you remember Mel said something along the lines of "you don't need any lies my Queen. You can see the truth." Whatever Mel is planning Selyse has most likely known about it the whole time. Now perhaps at the last minute she saves her daughter. That would be touching.

And then there was the scene where Mel told Selyse that Shireen had Stannis' blood in her veins and Selyse ran off like "Oh hell no!". I think they will have a talk about Mel and decide to send her back to the Wall. There's no way Stannis will agree to burning his own daughter, not after all that.

I think there will be plenty of outrage if Shireen is burned, but regardless of which event generates the most outrage, fans aren't wrong to upset when they feel changes from the source material are poorly justified and do the series a disservice. I'm no book purist either, but this is probably my least favorite season of the show so far. I really hope Shireen's fate doesn't come to this. :(

Season two is still my least favorite season but this one isn't a huge step ahead in terms of quality...

Jesse Creezie, if they burned a little girl to death on screen that would really be too much...

Considering the lack of realism in the more gruesome FX this year, it would be worse if they did it off screen, like the Sansa scene, and left it to the viewers imagination.

Besides, Theon torched some kids back in season 2. It's not as if it's new level of shock value.

The show has made Shireen too likable and her bond with Stannis too strong for him to allow her to burn.

As for Selyse and Mel, the show has done several things so far to lead us towards believing she would burn:

1. Showed the power of king's blood through example of Gendry and leeches

2. Showed that Selyse, as a fanatical believer in R'hllor, enjoys seeing people burn and truly believes they are going to a better place. The most notable example is burning of Selyse's brother Axel Florent. Also, she was in rapture when Mance was burned.

3. Melisandre showed her a vision in flames that convinced Selyse to bring Shireen along to the Wall.

4. The exchange of significant looks between Melisandre and Selyse when Melisandre said at the Wall that Shireen has king's blood running through her veins.

All this leads me to believe the pair will try to burn Shireen. I also do not believe they will succeed due to the bond Stannis and Davos have with Shireen. However, the show has also made a big deal out of Shireen's greyscale. Will she be immune to burning due to greyscale? Or will this trauma retrigger her illness and turn her into a stonewoman? Or will she start infecting all people around her? Or are stonemen actually the best weapon against whatever is coming with the winter? Too many questions ...

Finally, do take everything I write with great reserve. I am using a good old logic while D&D have demonstrated logic is not their forte.

Archived