The Main Problem With This Season

Nutteralex

The main problem is the two books they were adapting quite frankly weren't that good, were extremely bloated, and their was very little plot progression for the main characters. If you do it in two seasons you can do it one of two ways. Adapt the books in order. The problem with that is that AFFC in season 4 would pretty much run off nearly every show only watcher. Or you could do a mix of everything over two seasons. The problem with that is that every major character only has one season AT MOST worth of plot progression, so you are going to be keeping putting people on the back burner (sorry you can't have Sansa at the Vale, Jon just hanging around the Wall, Stannis hanging around the Wall and marching to a battle that doesn't happen, Brienne wandering around, Arya training, Dany messing up Mereen, etc and stretch it out 20 episode). It's pretty obvious Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Cersie, Stannis, Arya etc didn't have two seasons worth of material. They ADDED things to their story arcs and are still getting through it in one season.

Are these people serious? untalented?? disaster?? Just a look at the ratings proves these posts are delusional (or ironic???). keep dreaming purists.

You are dealing with people that actually believe things like Sansa was raped because she rejected Tyrion, Stannis burned Shireen because the writers hate Stannis, and that they lied to the world about GRRM telling them something.

I've got to side with the purists on this one. The problem wasn't cramming two books in one season ( I mean, two seasons of Feast and Dance, really?).

The problem was that D&D didn't even attempt to "improve" (yes, I just used that word!) the weakest parts of Feast and Dance. If anything, they did it worse and created a bunch of problems that the books didn't have.

Many viewers have already found this season too slow. Two seasons on AFFC/ADWD would never have worked (ASOS was far, far more eventful).

This season can be summed up in 4 events: Theon's still a prick, Tryion met Daenerys, Stannis is an evil bastard and the White Walkers are back.

Sansa's scenes actually provide almost nothing to the story this season, especially since Breinne is just sitting on her butt doing nothing but staring at Winterfell. Every single scene with her, Brienne, Pod and Theon was a waste of time that didn't go anywhere. Unless Theon snaps and kills the Boltons in their sleep for the finale...

Anyway, there's so much wasted screen time on things that don't need screen time that's slowing the entire show down this season. Things of this nature could be summed up in one or two passing remarks from other characters rather than actually devote screen time to them. All of Dorne, for instance and most of Winterfell.

If this season only focused on Kings Landing, Meereen, Bravos, The North and a few scenes dedicated to Stannis, this season would have flowed much smoother.

The main problem I think is that they compressed two books into one season at the same time as cutting out a huge proportion of those books and at the same time cramming in made up fan fiction scenes.

You can berate book purists all you want but both condensing a story and adding your own made up parts at the same time is a very odd mix.

Plus there's is also the uneasy feeling that the writers are now simply cherry picking their favourite "cool" bits of the books or adding in their own "cool" fan-fic to get the bigger ratings.

If more people had read the books before seeing the show I think ratings would be much lower.

Another major problem I think we'll see more of is the so called "race to the finish" because they are so set on having only seven seasons. Essentially they are in a race to fit all their chosen "cool" ratings winner parts in and just get the story finished. It makes the last few seasons look rushed and only interested on the ending rather than the journey there.

A lot of characters this season had their behaviour and actions totally changed just for the sake of moving the plot to where the writers want it to be.

I ll tell you what is wrong with the show. It has almost completely abandoned the politics of the book in favor of simply doing random scenes with the more favored characters and going for shock moments. The Whole northern arc has been squashed down to stannis marching to winterfell and sansa marrying ramsay. Its as if the north no longer exists beside the boltons.

Funny thing is if they actually did justice to the northern politics, show watchers would have loved it. Who wouldn't want to see white harbor and the great scene with davos?The karstark betrayal? deepwood motte? all the stuff leading up to the battle for winterfell.

Viewers would have also liked riverlands too, if it focused on the right stuff.

I don't think the problem is compressing both books into one season. Even if in the books there was plenty of material that needed to be cut, there was also plenty of really good material, which could have been turned into a pretty packed and interesting season where things didn't so obviously not make sense all the time.

Main Problem with this Season : they failed at what they tried to do, which was improving many arcs that were too slowly paced or not action packed enough for the supposed general public tastes. Instead they made some even more boring (Dorne) or looking absurd.

Main Problem for me : as I'm in the group not sharing that "supposed general public taste" for fast paced and action packed stories, and loved AFWD, I'd have liked a faithful adaptation taking 2-3 seasons (and I'm sad the HBO director who spoke about 10 seasons hasn't got D&D replaced to make it happen). But I'm wholly conscious it probably wouldn't have been more popular than what they did, and would probably have been far less than what they tried to do has it been a complete success. So I can't label that personnal wish "the main problem" of the show in general.

The Main Problem With This Season is............... there really hasn't been one other than making some book fans upset lol

Its only real issue was that it was a slower paced season and to be honest it really wasn't any slower than season 3

The truth is that season 5 hasn't really been rated any lower than the previous seasons nor has it experienced any real backlash from show watchers and those who claimed that they were "done with show" after episode 6 turned out to be nothing more than internet Hype

The latest episode was watched by 7.14 million viewers ( the second most watched episode of the season )

even when you compare how people have rated all of the episodes of season 5 so far

Season 5 still has not done any worse than the other seasons

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0944947

1.Season 3 had way more low rated episodes

2.Season 2 had one the lowest rated episodes in the shows history

3.Season 5 only had one low rated episode and that was the controversial episode 6

P.S. Do people on here make the "The Main Problem With This Season" post every season

because I remember seeing this same post for season 2 3 and 4

P.S. Do people on here make the "The Main Problem With This Season" post every season

because I remember seeing this same post for season 2 3 and 4

The series has been getting progressively worse each season, so it makes sense if we've had threads like this every year.

It hasn't all started to go wrong with season 5.

This would be an effective critique if the show actually included story-lines from the books you mention. In reality, most of the crappy stuff in this season wasn't from any of the books. Plot points this season were almost all invented by D&D (e.g., Jaime in Dorne, Sansa in Winterfell, Brienne staring pensively at Winterfell, etc...)

They didn't exactly invent anything, they just merged and cut stuff out. Dorne in the books was extremely boring. The only interesting chapter was the one where Darkstar was introduced. Guy's pretty damn hilarious with his comments. The show version of Dorne, on the other hand, had Jaime and Bronn, both of whom I like. Far better to watch a bad storyline about two good characters than a slightly better storyline with no one I care about.

The problem with this season is that it has highlighted the show runner's desire to go for 'big moments' of shock or 'fuck yeah' at the sake of the story itself. These sort of moments have their best impact when they develop organically as part of the story and as an evolution of characters and events. This is not what the show is doing, the show is stringing together moments to set up these scenes, and in some cases throwing away perfectly adaptable material to do so. Why no Mountain Clans? Because then the flimsy excuse of "Ramsey knows the North better than us" can't be used to justify the Twenty Best Men EVAR literally performing MIssion Impossible. No Manderly or Northern Lords in Winterfell? Can't have that because Sansa needs to be totally isolated for the 'shock' value of that subplot and because it makes things more 'dire' for Stannis.

When story and adaption choices are made only for the sake of 'shocking' the audience for big 'buzz' scenes, the overall story suffers considerably.

This season has been a borderline disaster. They need to take stock and readjust. TD&D have very little good will / fan support left, they've burned people witht he same BS too many times. Rape rape rape, characters doing things totally out of character, 87 minutes of Arya sweeping the goddamn floors (don't tell me this is more exciting than the book material left out).

Too bad HBO renewed the show and D&D through season 6 b/c honestly they should fire those two, get new showrunners, and start fresh w/ more talented individuals & w/o the dumb 7 season constraint. The scripts were atrocious this season. Bad scripting ruins any production. You can't build a monument on a swamp of shit.

Please don't confuse your own views with that of the fans as a whole.

On this, the most rabid anti-show site in existance (for any show ever made), 233 fans voted the last episode in the 1-3 range.

You seem to be willfully ignoring the millions of fans around the world (men. women, young, old, black, white, bloggers, critics, cosplayers, whoever) who love the show. Or for an easy comparison, the 384 people here who voted in the 8-10 range.

Ultra-fans of the book have no divine right to be catered for at the expense of the far, far wider fanbase that the show has. It's bigger than you now and has been for a while.

(NB I love the books too, but get a grip!).

When story and adaption choices are made only for the sake of 'shocking' the audience for big 'buzz' scenes, the overall story suffers considerably.

How did you miss those shocking moments in the books?

Archived