Dark Matter and Killjoys: the beginnings of SyFy's attempt to get their spaceship on again

Maester Llama

Am I the only one enjoying Dark Matter more than Killjoys?

Frankly, I couldn't care less about Killjoys. Whereas Dark Matter is taking the route of a beloved (not yet there) guilty pleasure.

Killjoys is executed so much more competently. Three episodes into Dark Matter and none of the characters have really clicked, especially the pretty white one who is apparently supposed to be our lead character. It's hard to become invested in the central mystery if all of the characters remain so bland. The amnesia factor was poorly done and even more poorly explained (as in there were some horrible lines thrown around to try to spell out the mechanics of their memory loss). And character interactions remain weak. It's hard to care about Five moping around, or One having the hots for Two, or whatever. Whereas two episodes in the crew of Killjoys is already a crew, and not a bunch of strangers.

Also the hot young ethnically ambiguous female badass of Killjoys is so much better than the hot young ethnically ambiguous female badass of Dark Matter. Hannah John-Kamen as Dutch has a confidence and command presence that Melissa O'Neil cannot match, making her believable as the senior partner of a man 10 years her senior. She seems like she has life experience despite her age. And her personal story (how will she get out of her obligations to murder in cold blood for her former mentor) is much more interesting than Two's (will she hook up with One, and also something something memories).

I've not yet watched either episode of Killjoys (but they're saved on my DVR and I will get to them sooner or later), but I am enjoying Dark Matter well enough. No, it's not the best thing on TV right now, but it is perfectly acceptable sci-fi. I'm interested to see where they take the story with its mysteries. Maybe it'll be something cliched, but maybe not. I'm interested enough to stick around to find out.

I've watched the first two episodes of Humans, and while it's also extremely clichéd, its production level and acting quality is definitely much higher than these two shows. It starts tonight on AMC.

Oh, thanks for the tips !

But I'll stick defending Dark Matter and Killjoys, I find them entertaining and I'm a sucker for sci-fi shows, so, well !

And I really like seing Roger Cross on screen again on Dark Matter ! I'm a huge fan of Continuum and Travis is great ! ^^

Am I the only one saddened by the 6 episodes only next (and last) season of Continuum here ? :(

Not at all. I'm very disappointed that the final season of Continuum will only be 6 episodes long, but I'm hoping that they can make those six episodes count.

I'd rather get those six episodes than the other alternative (which would have been none at all). I think six should give them plenty of time to wrap up the story line presented at the end of season 3, and no filler, so that's awesome.

I'd rather get those six episodes than the other alternative (which would have been none at all). I think six should give them plenty of time to wrap up the story line presented at the end of season 3, and no filler, so that's awesome.

Yeah for sure, 6 is better than nothing, but damn, I'm afraid there will be so many loose threads !

Especially if the season has been written with the potential hope the show will be salvaged some day and left open some mysteries to potentially pick them up later...

I've gotten up to speed on both over the last few days, and Killjoys does seem like it will end up a better overall show of the two. Dark Matter is def a show that can be enjoyable as long as your expectations for it aren't too high.

Maybe try online streaming services like Amazon or Netflix? It's on Amazon in Germany.

Alternatively apparently you can stream the episodes from the official site, all you'd need would be a Canadian proxy.

Well, athough Killjoys has a better beginning than Dark Matter, I think on the long run DM has more potential... KJ can quickly become quite repetitive, and even if the bounty hunter formula is appealing, there's so much you can do before your plot goes full circle and you start staying the same thing all over again...

Well, athough Killjoys has a better beginning than Dark Matter, I think on the long run DM has more potential... KJ can quickly become quite repetitive, and even if the bounty hunter formula is appealing, there's so much you can do before your plot goes full circle and you start staying the same thing all over again...

I think the serial aspects of Killjoys (Dutch having to deal with her former mentor, D'avin and his PTSD/search for whoever, and a nascent system wide civil war brewing in the background) can last for far longer than the serial aspects of Dark Matter (what's the deal with the amnesia stuff, which is the kind of question you can only answer once).

Yeah, the character backgrounds are the least of Killjoys' assets, there's actually a sense that things could happen on a larger scale in that world. Dark Matter tries to sell itself entirely on the characters, and they're pretty bad.

I do hope that neither show is making all its planetary locations crumbling industrial landscapes. That does not make for interesting visuals, even if it's probably easy to find cheap shooting locations for it.

Yeah, the character backgrounds are the least of Killjoys' assets, there's actually a sense that things could happen on a larger scale in that world. Dark Matter tries to sell itself entirely on the characters, and they're pretty bad.

I do hope that neither show is making all its planetary locations crumbling industrial landscapes. That does not make for interesting visuals, even if it's probably easy to find cheap shooting locations for it.

Back in the day, it used to be canadian forests. Maybe it's a sign of deforestation?

I really enjoyed Stargate: Universe. It was not like the "Planet of the week" past Stargates.

SG:U biggest problem was that they tried to do 2 things at once. 1st they set in the "Stargate Universe" tying it to both SG:1 and SG:A, trying to keep/pull in the SG's audience 2. then they tried to make it as much of a drama as BSG. to pull in its audience. what they got while a good show, it wasn't as good a drama as BSG, and didn't have the feel of a SG show. Much like ST:E, SG:U seemed to finally find its footing w/ it last a few ep after it was canceled. Most Sci/Fi shows have a problem with finding its footing, even ST:TNG first season seems weak, when one looks back at it. It wasn't until the 2nd season that it really seem to know what it wanted to be.

Which brings me back to the topic as at hand.

Dark Matter seems like it really could become a good show. The really haven't set the world around them and it seems like it has a good cast anchored by Roger Cross who IMO is a really good, if underrated actor. I wanted to know more about the characters and the world they live in.

Killjoy doesn't look as good to me. It seems like a watered down version of many other sci/fi shows. My biggest question is why is it that Aaron Ashmore keeps taken second rate roles on second rate shows. Shawn seems to get much better roles on much higher profiled projects.

Archived