Dark Matter and Killjoys: the beginnings of SyFy's attempt to get their spaceship on again

Maester Llama

Same thing for me ! I'm entirely aware of all the flaws and incoherences of Dark Matter but damn I'm enjoying it ! 

As for Killjoys, I had the same approach at first, but the last two episodes raised the bar way higher so I really think it has the potential to go further than just " average scifi entertainment of the week" !

In any case, when they want to, SyFy can really deliver : Continuum, Defiance, 12 Monkeys and now, I'm close to adding Killjoys to that list ! (And the first season of Helix was intense, and the second season wasnt thaaaaat bad). 

I must have missed something, but if they don't remember who they are then why is Asian Guy acting like he does remember who he is in that secret skype with Asian World and why is Black Guy heavily involved in a justice / revenge thing against that general who tricked him into mass murdering folks, because in order to feel so personally angry at the general you'd have to remember the lies he told you or else you wouldn't feel the sting of the betrayal so viscerally and you'd not go hunting that guy across the galaxy all emotionally involved with your FORGOTTEN past like that.   Eh. 

4 (Asian guy) and 5 (young girl) linked up w/ a computer a few ep ago. 4 went thru his memories, and learned who he was, and what had happened. The girl got into "trouble" and was stuck in it, so 6 (Black Guy) went in, and at first went thru a couple of his memories, before finding 5 in someone else memory, that they couldn't figure out (it was 1"s, in which he lived the good life) 

Dominion is really cool in its season 2.

The main flaws of season 1 disappeared.

IDK if I say "really cool", but much better then season 1. They made a series based an action film, and put little or no action in the first season. They have added in action, and spread out the story this season.

You know what, Dark Matter isn't really that good and yet I'm kinda looking forward to it every monday, enjoying every episode and having fun with it :) It's not great TV but after finding True Detective;s second season such a CHORE to watch I like having a TV show to just shut off with and relax on the couch and enjoy. 

Theda, I didn't think we agree on anything, yet, I too look forward to watching it on Monday( when it air's on Friday night)

I think Dark Matter was better this week then Killjoys.

4 (Asian guy) and 5 (young girl) linked up w/ a computer a few ep ago. 4 went thru his memories, and learned who he was, and what had happened. The girl got into "trouble" and was stuck in it, so 6 (Black Guy) went in, and at first went thru a couple of his memories, before finding 5 in someone else memory, that they couldn't figure out (it was 1"s, in which he lived the good life) 

Four only did some research and was passively told the key bit of memory Five witnessed. He has no direct memory link to his past at all.

I'm also almost certain that the "ironic" twist is that the farm memory was Three's. For one thing, he seemed to adapt pretty well to a similar life in the backstory provided by his soon-to-be-fridged (literally!) one episode love interest, for another, One was born into wealth, that memory didn't really look like a luxury estate.

IDK if I say "really cool", but much better then season 1. They made a series based an action film, and put little or no action in the first season. They have added in action, and spread out the story this season.

There was some action in season 1, but it was plain bad. They tried to do big things, like angels flying and fighting in the sky, but they had nowhere near the means to do that correctly, and it was just terrible.

But they understood from their mistakes apparently, and now they restrict themselves to small scale action, which is way better.

And frankly, the movie was beyond terrible. So bad it hurts. I'm glad they distanced themselves from it. Dominion is what the movie should have been: a biblical war between angels and humans. Not some really bad zombie movie.

What's that the third time that the two shows have had an extremely similar episode on exactly the same night?  And once again Killjoys absolutely owned Dark Matter.  That might be my least favorite episode of Dark Matter so far.  Utter shit on a stick.  I don't know if I've watched a worse episode of anything this year.  The look of terror on Five's face when they threw her the tape was fucking ridiculous.  Whose bright idea was it to put these on back to back?  They really should have let one run and than put the other on after it was over.

That's because you're sane 8)

Viewers' obsession with minor details is often indicative of a show doing something right. ;)

What's that the third time that the two shows have had an extremely similar episode on exactly the same night?  And once again Killjoys absolutely owned Dark Matter.

Well, the Killjoys plot actually mattered to the characters, had geniune emotional beats and used world building elements that had been previously established. Dark Matter just had them raid one of those random space stations that are apparently everywhere in the DM universe without any explanation as to why.

That opening scene on Dark Matter was an almost aggressively unexciting space battle. For a brief moment I thought the heist plot was misdirection and we'd actually maybe get some info on Two and why she seems to enjoys beating people up so much, but nope, that was just a lame excuse to get Five to go on the mission (I'm sure we were all at the edge of our seats as she dramatically twisted wires together...) and to set up the cliffhanger ending.

Incidentally, while stealing from faceless corporations can kind of be shrugged away in this kind of show, our 'heroes' also murdered a whole bunch of people who were just doing their jobs (compare that to John specifically bringing up the fact that they can't just shoot their way through the people standing between them and their target). Is there any reason why we should be rooting for these arseholes to succeed?

Killjoys on the other hand is awesome and needs to get renewed. I've mentioned it before, but apart from giving us good characters and engaging plots it also does worldbuilding right, starting out small and ever expanding (to the point where the interstellar element of the setting has now become very important, when the original focus was almost exclusively on the Quad). Looks like things are going to blow up in the finale next week.

ETA: Random observation: I swear that IMDB had him originally listed as Khylen, but the episode title says Khlyen, which is also much more in line with the way people have been pronouncing it on the show.

I agree : Killjoys is really on a glorious ride ! That latest episode was intense (although episode 7 is still my favourite) and I really look forward to the finale !

That being said, as always, despite the obvious flaws, Dark Matter was really entertaining !

Is there any possible way the android isn't the one responsible for the mind wipe?  I feel like they are dropping anvils with the android constantly talking about doing a system wipe. 

I really want to like Dark Matter.  It has the better premise and there is such meaty plot to go with exploring how people can choose who they would be.  But damn.  Such terrible writing and acting I just can't.  I'm so shocked that Dark Matter is performing better than Killjoys.  

Doesn't the big revelation have to be that they wiped their own memories because they were all miserable jerkwads at the end of their rope and the only thing left to them was to seek oblivion?     I've taken that lesson to heart and now I'm "forgetting" to DVR that show every week, and then saying "darn!" each week when I remember that I "forgot" to tape the episode.   What's weird is the show isn't available On Demand; it's as if the network would also like people to forget this thing is airing.  

The inverted (or dyslexic) spelling of [Kline] was also part of the show's subtitles a couple weeks ago, so both spellings have been used.  

Level Six: Beyond Killing.   ----->  you know what's weird?  

If I could just publish a book with that title on the jacket it'd sell like crazy; it wouldn't even matter what the contents were.   That's a nifty title.   So..... Dutch is some kind of Daenerys In Space ????   (You know what's weird?   A book called Daenerys In Space might garner some attention in this current literary climate).   Anyway, she's looking like the scion of a deposed Family who will be called upon to make a comeback?  and that's why.... Khlyenhn... needs her----to provide him with legitimacy when he starts doing crazy societal changes in her name?   Like changing the Quad's official stance on yellow-robed monks from "they suck!" to "monks rock!"    So he's her illyrio / Griff Sr.

I don't think it has to do with "societal change", rather with the "enemy" that's coming to the Quad.

It was referenced quite a few times, and Khlyen must be preparing to face it.

I think Khlyen might be a representative of this outside force, actually. Insinuating itself into various systems, then striking and taking over might be the true purpose of the RAC.

I'm trying to put together all the things that have been set up and could become important in the finale:

-Civil unrest on Westerly; likely to be dealt with harshly, as we learned in episode 2; I doubt the Company will carpet bomb Old Town (for starters Pree would have to find a new bar...), but it's going to be bloody; this of course has essentially already started as of the end of episode 9

-potential uprising on Leith by those nationalist militias; bad for everyone as Leith is where all the food (and the future generations of the Nine) grows

-speaking of the Nine: control of the Company is tied to family lines and someone in the Quad has a weapon that can wipe out entire families based on genetic markers; Pawter's Qreshi background might actually become important if her family gets wiped out

-the RAC is an interstellar organization; its status as neutral law enforcement might actually be a front for a different agenda; there really is a level 6, which might have something to do with whatever "Red 17" is

-the fact that the military (presumably a representative of a larger, interstellar government structure which doesn't bother to run individual star systems like the Quad) was trying to learn about Red 17 suggests it is at odds with whatever the highest echelons of the RAC are doing

-there is a military program that turns people into sleeper agents who will turn against their closest allies when triggered; one of the scientists working on this sought shelter in the Quad

-Dutch is important to whatever plan Khlyen is pursuing; presumably her family background makes her a bit more valuable than your average widowed princess-by-marriage

-As has been proven on this thread, Lucy is a TARDIS; which means there's a greater than zero chance that all problems will be solved by someone pointing a sonic screwdriver at them and talking really fast

Anything else?

I agree : Killjoys is really on a glorious ride ! That latest episode was intense (although episode 7 is still my favourite) and I really look forward to the finale !

That being said, as always, despite the obvious flaws, Dark Matter was really entertaining !

I gave up watching after ep 2 but as it's getting near universal praise on here I'll go watch 3 and see if it grabs me. I'll likely be disapointed, even shows on syfy that get reccomended to me (Defiance) suck ass IMO, but here's hoping.

I gave up watching after ep 2 but as it's getting near universal praise on here I'll go watch 3 and see if it grabs me. I'll likely be disapointed, even shows on syfy that get reccomended to me (Defiance) suck ass IMO, but here's hoping.

I don't recall when I dropped [i]Defiance[/i], it might have improved since, but I think [i]Killjoys[/i] really is significantly better. I'm not sure I'd say there was a specific episode that convinced me, but the gradual buildup over the season has me quite unreasonably excited to see where it goes in the finale (and hopefully beyond).

As much as I'm enjoying Killjoys, tbh I'm not so sure it would stand up so well on it's own.  I often feel as though it seems so good because it's sandwiched between Defiance and Dark Matter, two shows that are pretty droopy.  

It certainly doesn't hurt to be compared to a pretty dire show on a regular basis, but while [i]Killjoys[/i] doesn't really have any big standout episodes or big action moments, it is developing its charcters, world and plots in a measured and well thought-out manner. The writing gives off the impression that the writers know where they are taking the show. It has a cast of likeable characters and makes good use of what is clearly a fairly limited budget. There's still stuff that is totally nitpick-worthy beyond the apparent differences between the inside and outside measurements of the ship or the use of warehouses (or a hangar?) and office buldings as stand-ins for the interior of a space station (for example: was there any reason Dutch had to strip down to her underwear for the trace scene this episode? The show has actually mostly avoided this kind of gratuitous titillation so far), but it's more than good enough to make me consider those minor issues.

I have a strange sense of optimism for this show, it's not as obivously front-loaded as a lot of other shows seem to be these days. There's obviously room for improvement, and I think given a chance the show could take that step.

I caught the episode ''My name is datak tarr and I am here to kill you'' or something on Defiance the other day and it was so fucking awesome that despite all the bad things being said about defiance here I kinda want to go bacxk and really watch the whole thing from the start. i watch it casually here and there with my nan, missed loads of stuff but kind of vaguely know whats happening in season 3 and just using it as background TV whilst im on my phone but that episode was fucking MENTAL it was brilliant!!!

Yeah, dont want to get into a debate on Defiance here, but I personally definitly enjoy the show !

That being said, "My Name is Datak Tarr and I have come to kill you" is the best episode of the entire show. 

Archived