Penny Dreadful III: Be my Little Scorpion [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

What I want to know (and I must re-watch that scene) is, at what point did Bronily know she was Victor's creation? From the very beginning? My one other exposure to Billie Piper was Secret Diary of a Call Girl, in which I found her quite engaging. A shame they pulled the plug on that one prematurely (only 32 episodes over four seasons), despite it doing quite well for a cable series.

What I want to know (and I must re-watch that scene) is, at what point did Bronily know she was Victor's creation? From the very beginning? My one other exposure to Billie Piper was Secret Diary of a Call Girl, in which I found her quite engaging. A shame they pulled the plug on that one prematurely (only 32 episodes over four seasons), despite it doing quite well for a cable series.

I wondered the same thing. Something tells me Lily has been playing Victor all along; I think she knew from the start that she was a creature but knew she couldn't play Victor in the same way she can play other men--Victor needed a "Lily" instead of a "Brona."

As for Billie...I loved "Secret Diary" but she'll always be Rose (from Doctor Who) to me. Well, Rose and now a very engaging Lily.

Yes. Lilith is from Jewish literature. She is also supposed to be a demon and the Hebrew of her name can mean something like "night woman" or something like that--ironic since Lily now means pure and white. The biggest difference--besides one being a demon--between Lilith and Eve is that the former was created from the earth like Adam, whereas Eve is traditionally created via Adam's rib and thus is more subservient since she literally comes from man. There is also a tradition that Lilith slept with the angel Samael and refused to apologize for it. She is used in some modern myths to be the mother of demons or other evildoers--CS Lewis uses Lilith as the ancestor of Jadis, the Witch Witch, for example. I did a quick search and surprisingly, the modern views of Lilith have her on par with the Hindu goddess Kali, a dark moon goddess. If Hecate ends up betraying Kali somehow, might Lilith become the new favorite daughter?

Ah, of course, Jadis! Knew I had heard this before :) also, after watching the episode in definitely had me thinking more about this take on it. I mean, Lily even refers to Victor as God, and says he created demons not Angels. She talks about their [her and Caliban's) offspring too, bringing in the mother of demons thing. The more I think on this, the more I hope she sticks around for next season as the antagonist, with some connection to Lucifer (I quite like the idea that was mentioned about something hitching a ride back with her) I guess Dracula will come back into it next season somehow too.

Eta: btw, there are pictures of the next episode on IMDB and

It looks like someone (Roper, I guess) arrives at the Moors before Victor.

Just watched it, that Lily scene was nuts! I mean she just killed a dude last episode but I still wasn't expecting any type of conquering the world shit. Caliban's reaction was pure shock and I couldn't help but laugh. He had to be thinking at first, what the fuck did I get into?

I know. John Clair/Caliban was just sort of like what in the world. In the middle of Lily jumping on him, my brother said "Oh my" in a Samwell Tarly voice and I literally rolled off the couch laughing.

Lily, Feminst Zombie Conqueror. I guess we have ourselves a spin-off.

I found myself wondering exactly how Lily pictures herself as a conqueror figure. She's sorta immortal, I guess, and superhumanly strong, but I kept thinking what her path to power would be. She kept referring to 'the dead', and I found myself wondering if she could take role of some sort of controller of the dead. Except we don't really have a lot of zombies in this show ... but then, bam, final scene, zombies show up.

I don't know if waking the dead from their graves is a gothic horror trope, but if it is, I could see Lily doing some unburial rites and getting herself a good old-fashioned zombie army.

Lily, Feminst Zombie Conqueror. I guess we have ourselves a spin-off.

I found myself wondering exactly how Lily pictures herself as a conqueror figure. She's sorta immortal, I guess, and superhumanly strong, but I kept thinking what her path to power would be. She kept referring to 'the dead', and I found myself wondering if she could take role of some sort of controller of the dead. Except we don't really have a lot of zombies in this show ... but then, bam, final scene, zombies show up.

I thought they were hallucinations? I mean, there is no way that:

a) Evelyn has Peter's corpse

b) Peter is not decomposed to a skeleton yet.

Yeah, the ones with Malcolm's wife were, so I guess that's likely.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there were any coffins in the room until Evelyn left either. I never thought of them as unDead. Could be that the scorpion caused these hallucinations, or something.

Yeah pretty sure Peter is buried somewhere around the headwaters of the Nile.

Going back to Victor though, when is he gonna spill the beans??? I WANT HIM TO SOOOOOOOO BAD!!

When he was talking with Vanessa as she was leaving for the Cut-wife's, about Lily adjusting to London and if it doesn't turn out the way he hopes, didn't she mention to him that if that happens, they'd have a nice, long talk?

Wow....that episode was freakin BRILLIANT

I KNEW KALI HAD THE GENUINE HOTS FOR MALCOLM LMAO YES

Poor lonely Kali. Its a testament to Helen McCroy's acting that I could almost forget about the baby murdering and whatnot and almost feel sorry for.her.

Almost....

Poor lonely Kali. Its a testament to Helen McCroy's acting that I could almost forget about the baby murdering and whatnot and almost feel sorry for.her.

Almost....

Almost....almost.

I personally don't believe a word (in English) that comes out her mouth.

I don't know that Kali is lying about "liking" Malcolm--though I don't think she's in love either. I think it's more that she's lonely and found someone whom she thought would be equally lonely (and then went to great lengths to ensure his loneliness by killing his wife).

I don't know that Kali is lying about "liking" Malcolm--though I don't think she's in love either. I think it's more that she's lonely and found someone whom she thought would be equally lonely (and then went to great lengths to ensure his loneliness by killing his wife).

Agree with this, I think she's just lonely. Those were definitely crocodile tears on display for Malcolm.

Almost....almost.

Yeah, agreed. She seems to have a bit of fondness for him, and she is tired of this eternal existence on her own, but it's not quite love. I might be inclined to call it admiration almost?

It's kind of a condemnation of Malcolm's character. He's so screwed up that he'd make a worthy companion for Kali! :lol:

A match made in heave- oh wait :p

Yeah, agreed. She seems to have a bit of fondness for him, and she is tired of this eternal existence on her own, but it's not quite love. I might be inclined to call it admiration almost?

A match made in heave- oh wait :p

I definitely think there's some genuine admiration there - I wouldn't go so far as to call it quite fondness or affection but it's not just lonliness either. She's attracted to tbe darkness in Malcolm; his manly "fury" and strength and probably feels like compared to most mortal men she'd found one to genuinely excite her and who might even be an equal. Theres no genuine love there but I definitely think there was more layers to their relationship than merely cut and dry femme fatale with hopeless clueless man. I mean...I totally think she fancied him at least.

It just adds an extra richness to her character and something thats been there all along - I mean even though we see her bathing in the blood of the corpse beside her - she's singing an old and sad english folk love song while she does it :P

Remember last season when we were theorizing that the vampire master was a servant of the Devil? Are we now supposed to believe that it was the brother of the Devil or just a servant of the brother? Because the former seems disappointing tbh...

Archived