Penny Dreadful III: Be my Little Scorpion [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

Anyway, I'd also like to mention that if Kali is defeated this season, I'm going to be advert disappointed. Because no Kali means no more Helen McCroy, and that is always a bad thing :P

:agree: I would say she is my favorite on the show, but honestly whoever is on the screen is my favorite.

What if they're all wrong about Vanessa, and it is Lily who is Lucifer's Bride? She might be a bit pissed about not having a say in that, and as we saw you don't want Lily Frankenstein pissed off while trying to subjugate her.

She does have a connection to the Wolf of God already.

I recently watched this show and though it really wasn't my cup of tea, thought I'd go ahead and finish the season out since there were only a few episodes left. And really glad I did. Billie Piper's performance in this episode made it worth watching a series that I really wasn't into. I'm now finding myself excited for the final episodes.

What if they're all wrong about Vanessa, and it is Lily who is Lucifer's Bride? She might be a bit pissed about not having a say in that, and as we saw you don't want Lily Frankenstein pissed off while trying to subjugate her.

She does have a connection to the Wolf of God already.

I like this idea! I was wondering last night what purpose Lily could possibly serve for the larger story. She's fun to watch, especially last night, but other than that she's been just this little side story. Having Lilly be Lucifer's Bride would end the season in an amazing way and set her up as the big bad next year, without creating some entirely new big bad like most other shows might do.

Is it possible that Lily/Brona and Vanessa are like Dracula and Lucifer---one being who was cleaved into two? Or perhaps when Brona became Lily she brought something along for the ride?

I recently watched this show and though it really wasn't my cup of tea, thought I'd go ahead and finish the season out since there were only a few episodes left. And really glad I did. Billie Piper's performance in this episode made it worth watching a series that I really wasn't into. I'm now finding myself excited for the final episodes.

YAY! Glad you stuck with it :)

Is it possible that Lily/Brona and Vanessa are like Dracula and Lucifer---one being who was cleaved into two? Or perhaps when Brona became Lily she brought something along for the ride?

I was just thinking about that. If we assume that everything we've seen is true (in the show universe, not our reality), then the human soul has to be a factor. So even though it seems that Victor's creations are a wild card in the grand scheme of good vs. evil, the conflict with the devil, etc. it probably isn't so. Now if you take into account Christian doctrines, mainly Catholic, then Brona's soul went to hell, or at least purgatory. Some questions then:

Do Lily and Clare really have souls? I would say yes, evidence mainly based on Clare's life.

Are their original souls in their bodies, or other souls? Possibly yes, but maybe with a touch of something else. Clare is capable of good and evil, he is basically human, so maybe his soul was less tarnished by sin when he died. But Lily, if her soul went to hell and back, it is pretty much guaranteed that Lucifer has influence over her now. Or maybe a demon replaced her soul altogether.

This also brings me to the conclusion that Lily is probably not Lucifer's bride, but is his agent.

So, someone elsewhere posted their thoughts on the Frankenstein triangle, which i found interesting. I dont really know nuch about the mytholgy or whatever the idea used but basically it said that Victor (God) was asked by Adam (Caliban) to make him a mate. Victor (God) created Lily (Lilith, in certain mytholgy the first wife of Adam if what I have gathered is correct?). Lillith is supposed to be banished from.the Garden of Eden when she refuses to be subservient to Adam. Lily has fallen into darkness and is refusing ti be subservient to any man. Again, not sure on the mythology stuff, any thoughts on this?

So, someone elsewhere posted their thoughts on the Frankenstein triangle, which i found interesting. I dont really know nuch about the mytholgy or whatever the idea used but basically it said that Victor (God) was asked by Adam (Caliban) to make him a mate. Victor (God) created Lily (Lilith, in certain mytholgy the first wife of Adam if what I have gathered is correct?). Lillith is supposed to be banished from.the Garden of Eden when she refuses to be subservient to Adam. Lily has fallen into darkness and is refusing ti be subservient to any man. Again, not sure on the mythology stuff, any thoughts on this?

Yes. Lilith is from Jewish literature. She is also supposed to be a demon and the Hebrew of her name can mean something like "night woman" or something like that--ironic since Lily now means pure and white. The biggest difference--besides one being a demon--between Lilith and Eve is that the former was created from the earth like Adam, whereas Eve is traditionally created via Adam's rib and thus is more subservient since she literally comes from man. There is also a tradition that Lilith slept with the angel Samael and refused to apologize for it. She is used in some modern myths to be the mother of demons or other evildoers--CS Lewis uses Lilith as the ancestor of Jadis, the Witch Witch, for example. I did a quick search and surprisingly, the modern views of Lilith have her on par with the Hindu goddess Kali, a dark moon goddess. If Hecate ends up betraying Kali somehow, might Lilith become the new favorite daughter?

Great episode. I'll echo all the praise for Billie Piper. She was fantastic in the scene with Caliban. One of the best scenes the show has done to date. I still missed Vanessa though. As good as this episode was, it felt incomplete without Eva Green.

Still waiting to see what's going on with the Wax works, and the Ethan/Brona reunion. Hopefully we'll get both in the next couple episodes.

It's interesting. Many of you are celebrating Lily/Brona (and rightfully so as it was a good scene) and wondering what her future is. I don't think it's much beyond 2 more episodes and then the Monster/Caliban/Clare will kill her in a reverse situation from the novel. If you've read it you might remember that Dr. Frankenstein kills the "Bride" (for lack of a better term) because he is terrified that the world will essentially be destroyed by them. You know, kind of Lily's speech. I don't know what will cause the Monster/Caliban/Clare to turn on her but methinks maybe she goes after the blind girl or Vanessa.

Just watched it, that Lily scene was nuts! I mean she just killed a dude last episode but I still wasn't expecting any type of conquering the world shit. Caliban's reaction was pure shock and I couldn't help but laugh. He had to be thinking at first, what the fuck did I get into? Great scene all around. Sembene continues to be a legend and we finally see the painting. No Vanessa and Ethan and it still delivers.

I think the Doctor may be done soon.

Firstly, he has that whole situation going on with his creatures.

Secondly, and sadly, he is addicted to morphine and is taking it intravenously. His eyes have gotten pretty bad this season, and during the beginning of that convo with Sir Malcolm, didn't he say his veins were collapsing and he was in need of more?

Helena, I'm calling you out for switching your avatar from Vanessa to Lily. Turncloak!!! :P

Pfft, The Creatures shall have their vengeance. They are the Pureborn!

:p

Ok, back on track. Watched the episode instead of just reading spoilers. Despite how much I spoiled myself, the episode still managed to exceed my expectations. It was a phenomenal hour(ish) of TV and I genuinely didn't want the episode to end. Aside from the stuff already discussed at length, I'd like to throw a few more comments out there.

First, I LOVE the Hecate and Kali dynamic and the conversations between them. Curious to see how that is going to work out in the final confrontation. Particularly loved the "You grow impertinent." "You grow old." Moment. There was a rather lovely camera shot of Kali after she throws Hecate.

Inspector Rusk has some great scenes. And I kind of like that despite the supernatural going on, the "real world" carries on as normal, and our protagonists can't just do whatever they want and nobody notices a thing.

RIP Angelique :bawl: :crying: Seriously, I loved her :( she'll be a miss I fear. At first I was a bit disappointed with Dorian, as I was expecting him to really lose control over it all and show a terrible rage. But on second thoughts the cold, calculated approach works equally as well. Almost sociopathic. And, I really thought the portrait was well done. Glad we saw it, I've wanted to see how they'd portray it since Season 1.

Malcolm's table flipping was brilliant.

So, on the Dulux colour chart, exactly what colour would Lyle's blood be? I hear Evelyn Poole wants her living room decorated.

On Lucifer and Dracula. So, they are rivals. Each wants Vanessa before the other can take her. So last season we technically had 2 big bads? The Vampires (serving Dracula) and Lucifer, through the possession?

More thoughts; Agree with the above poster. I think Victor survives his season, but he is a goner at some point.

I assume the waxworks will become relevant next season? I am not sure how it fits in here tbh.

The music is always wonderful on this show but this week was even better than usual, imo. Great stuff.

Another quick shoutout for Billie Piper. Damn, that was wonderful.

Can't wait until the entire series is out. I'll have to binge watch it all again.

Ungh, is it next Tuesday yet? Will try to resist the urge to spoil myself this time...(yeah, right, like that will happen :rolleyes: )

Here http://io9.com/the-wildly-inappropriate-scene-you-must-watch-from-penn-1713095519

I know it's a link to a review of the episode but the clip is towards the bottom.

*drool* Still in love with this scene

I think the Doctor may be done soon.

Firstly, he has that whole situation going on with his creatures.

Secondly, and sadly, he is addicted to morphine and is taking it intravenously. His eyes have gotten pretty bad this season, and during the beginning of that convo with Sir Malcolm, didn't he say his veins were collapsing and he was in need of more?

:( NO. Take it back!!!

RIP Angelique :bawl: :crying: Seriously, I loved her :( she'll be a miss I fear. At first I was a bit disappointed with Dorian, as I was expecting him to really lose control over it all and show a terrible rage. But on second thoughts the cold, calculated approach works equally as well. Almost sociopathic. And, I really thought the portrait was well done. Glad we saw it, I've wanted to see how they'd portray it since Season 1.

I also thought it was very in line with the literary Dorian Grey who is equally cold and calculating.

I think Victor survives his season, but he is a goner at some point.

Likely it will come at the same time that GoT decides to kill Jorah Mormont. Just to torture me.

What a spellbinding hour of television that was! And can somebody just give Billie Piper a BAFTA. I couldn't take my eyes off her in that scene, and you'll go a long way to steal a scene from the likes of Rory Kinnear. But there isn't a weak link in the cast, really. It's just so superbly done.

I'll have to process it properly before commenting in any lucid manner.... There are some good points made in this thread - I'll just have to get my act together and come back later

Archived