Football ninety-nein: King Louis tosses his toys

Yea, my thoughts exactly. It's uninspiring for that amount of money when Lacazette is out there for 3m more.

A bit like the Carroll situation. Uninspiring for the amount of money when Aguero was out there for 3 million more. Maybe things will work out this time but I'm not so sure that Benteke fits into 'Pools style of play. I feel that a player like Berahino might be a better fit.

A bit like the Carroll situation. Uninspiring for the amount of money when Aguero was out there for 3 million more. Maybe things will work out this time but I'm not so sure that Benteke fits into 'Pools style of play. I feel that a player like Berahino might be a better fit.

I tend to agree though Liverpool's style of play was really predicated on having Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez together at the same time. Without Sterling and Suarez, it's not a stretch to slightly change their style to fit a more traditional CF. Good business for Villa, they signed him for 7m.

I tend to agree though Liverpool's style of play was really predicated on having Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez together at the same time. Without Sterling and Suarez, it's not a stretch to slightly change their style to fit a more traditional CF. Good business for Villa, they signed him for 7m.

I guess the question becomes: can Rodgers/or does he even want to incorporate a different style of play? If the transfer does go through then one thing has to change: Liverpool will need to get more crosses into the box to take full advantage of Benteke's attributes. Balotelli and Lambert are no slouches in the air, yet BR did not change the style of play to take advantage of that. Seems to me that BR is adamant on sticking with the short passing game and releasing players into space instead of the more direct approach of getting to the byline and lumping in crosses.

You're right though, this is a good piece of business for Villa provided they can adequately replace Benteke. Reading some rumours that United are interested as well.

It's less about the money for me - I find very little value in comparing transfer fees - it's more about the fact that I don't really think he's that good of a player. Lukaku, in my mind is miles ahead, but there's no chance of them getting him. Maybe Rodgers can get the best out of Benteke? 

It's less about the money for me - I find very little value in comparing transfer fees - it's more about the fact that I don't really think he's that good of a player. Lukaku, in my mind is miles ahead, but there's no chance of them getting him.

I don't know about that. I think Benteke's definitely a good player. You could argue about the relative potential of him and Lukaku but, so far anyway, Benteke is a more consistent goal scorer, usually for worse teams as well. He has less of a tendency to drift through games too.

The problems for me are his injury record and fitting into the style of play Liverpool under Rodgers are going to play. We've already got one striker in Sturridge who'd be great if we didn't have to worry about him breaking down bending over to lace up his boots, do we really need another one?

The style of play thing is the big one though, apparently Liverpool were something close to the worst side in the league for putting crosses into the box last season. If we play like that again it's going to be a complete waste of time having Benteke. Ok playing the bulk of the season with Sterling up front probably factored into that but if Rodgers had wanted to he could easily have played a more direct style with Lambert or Balotelli up front. They aren't quite the same style of player as don't think either of them really wants to play as target men as such but they're decent in the air and could have done it. Rodgers was pretty quick to discard Carroll as well.

And I'm now reading that Benteke to Liverpool is happening for 32.5m. Love that they're going to replace Sterling with Benteke.

While I'm not big on this deal and could easily see it failing and Rodgers being sacked as a result, Benteke is not a like for like replacement for Sterling if anything Firmino would more or less fill that role. Benteke would hopefully be replacing Balo/borini/lambert/injured Sturridge and all those goals they brought us last year :P

Yea, my thoughts exactly. It's uninspiring for that amount of money when Lacazette is out there for 3m more.

I agree but No way Lacazette was going to come to us though when he is already in CL football and has clubs like PSG after him.

I don't know about that. I think Benteke's definitely a good player. You could argue about the relative potential of him and Lukaku but, so far anyway, Benteke is a more consistent goal scorer,

Well, in the three seasons Benteke has been at Villa and Lukaku has been a regular starter for clubs, Lukaku has scored 17, 15 and 10, whereas Benteke scored 19, 10 and 13. And out of the two I'd suggest it's Benteke who goes on massive scoring streaks whereas Lukaku's goals tend to come more evenly throughout a season.

On the other hand I don't think he's as ill a fit to Liverpool's style as some think. Yeah, he definitely benefits from a lot of crosses, but he's pretty capable on the ground as well. Holds it up excellently and does a mean layoff. If you get the likes of Coutinho and Firminho around his space he'll be a mean central point for quick moves and passes.

I don't think the Liverpool fans will forgive Benteke for not being Lacazette, even if Lacazette is very unlikely to agree a move to us.  BR is giving his critics a huge stick to beat him with.  He received sympathy for getting Balotelli but there will only be blame for Benteke.  So he really better make this work or Klopp's name will be chanted at Anfield very soon.

The most positive thing I can say is that Benteke has a good goals per game ratio (almost 0.5) and has very good control, passing & link up despite playing for a terrible team in a very defensive system, and his injuries in recent seasons appear to be unfortunate and unrelated impact injuries rather than recurring injuries that hint at long term problems.  He can shoot from distance and is good on counter attacks.  And he is a different player to Sturridge, if Danny ever really recovers from injury.  There is a danger than Lacazette and Sturridge would be too similar.  So perhaps this reflects fundamental optimism: Benteke will be even better in a good team and he will offer another style alongside a healthy Sturridge.

The negatives are well known: he scores a lot of headers from crosses and we don't have the wide players for that even if BR was willing to change style, which he isn't.  He gets caught offside a lot, which suggests his movement and timing won't be good enough for Coutinho and Firminho.  He doesn't harry or press.

I think he's better than Lukaku, who is anonymous for long periods, but Berahino would probably have been a better option for less money.

Well, in the three seasons Benteke has been at Villa and Lukaku has been a regular starter for clubs, Lukaku has scored 17, 15 and 10, whereas Benteke scored 19, 10 and 13. And out of the two I'd suggest it's Benteke who goes on massive scoring streaks whereas Lukaku's goals tend to come more evenly throughout a season.

Benteke's actual record is 42 league goals in 88 games compared to Lukaku's 42 in 102 games in the same period though. Lukaku's been playing for significantly better teams as well. I'm not particularly sold on Benteke being the right signing for Liverpool but his goal scoring record of 49 goals in 100 or 101 games for as bad an attacking side as Villa is fairly impressive. I can see arguments as to why you might prefer Lukaku over Benteke but him being 'miles ahead' is a big shout.

Their scoring record seems pretty similar judging by what you lot have posted on here, though when I made the comparison, I was mostly talking about their all round game. I think Lukaku is better at that than Benteke. To be fair, I've watched much more of Lukaku than Benteke, so I could be wrong. 

On paper Benteke ( if it happens), Ings, Sturridge and that Southampton striker ( his name escapes me right now) seem like they would have enough goals in them. 

cmon, Mex!  Our defense has, slightly, improved, our midfield will arguably be a bit more stable now that BR wont be pressured to try and fit Gerrard in and our frontline has been bolstered with arguably better strikers....but alas, I fear you're right. We're still nowhere near as strong as United, Arsenal, City or Chelsea.

In other news, I just spent a significant amount purchasing the new Liverpool home jersey. My first shirt purchase in 7 years. Something spectacular is about to happen this season.

cmon, Mex!  Our defense has, slightly, improved, our midfield will arguably be a bit more stable now that BR wont be pressured to try and fit Gerrard in and our frontline has been bolstered with arguably better strikers....but alas, I fear you're right. We're still nowhere near as strong as United, Arsenal, City or Chelsea.

You're definitely competitive and as long as you avoid injuries, you'll be up there, but I'm just not sure that strike force is enough to stay consistent all season, especially if Rodger's tactics doesn't change. Should be interesting. 

Archived