Football ninety-nein: King Louis tosses his toys

Schweinsteiger hasn't been fully fit in years and his ankles seem like they've been a constant concern for a while. Iirc there were only a few games during the World Cup where he was playing at >90%, though one of them was the Final.

Schweinsteiger's never been too fast, and it's hard to predict what that means for his decline. Intuitively, players who never relied on speed should age more gracefully, but there have been some baseball studies that show fast players actually better since after they lose speed, they still have enough to compete, whereas slow savvy players may find themselves falling below some minimum threshold.

That is why I really hope that we continue our pursuit of Schneiderlin. I can see Herrera and Schneiderlin as the mainstays in our midfield with rotation between Carrick and Schweinsteiger. Given his injuries over the past few years we will have to manage him carefully.

In other news: Newcastle have finally signed someone!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33474195

That is why I really hope that we continue our pursuit of Schneiderlin. I can see Herrera and Schneiderlin as the mainstays in our midfield with rotation between Carrick and Schweinsteiger. Given his injuries over the past few years we will have to manage him carefully.

In other news: Newcastle have finally signed someone!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33474195

I'm having distinct trouble getting excited over the acquisition of Schweinsteiger.On the one hand we have the looming departure or RvP, possible to be followed by Di Maria as well, both of whom could have promising rebound seasons, and if they go, who comes back?

Anyway, he's 31, but more than that he has been playing so long already that there is a lot of miles on him. I think we'd be very lucky to get two more solid seasons out of him. He's been injured a great deal it seems to me. But LvG would be very pleased with two years as that is the length of his deal as well, a deal he will certainly not extend.

I also don't see why he should be coming in with Schneiderlin apparently a huge target, Herrera already there, and Blind and Carrick available as central midfielders. I will hope for the best, you can at least say he used to be a good player, but to be honest, even two years ago I thought Toni Kroos was the better Bayern midfielder.

I don't know Darmian but the right full back position was planned to be upgraded, so I guess, job done well.

By the way, you linked to Newcastle's buy of Wijnaldum, that is actually a very fine player and instantly the best player on that Newcastle team.

He cost a fair bit but he was PSV's second-best player after Depay, and really one of the 3 best player in the Dutch league last year overall. Wijnaldum and Depay were the difference makers last year.

Very good midfielder there with a big motor.

Sounds like Sterling to City is pretty much a done deal. Sterling was left out of squad to Thailand and loads of reports that LIverpool are accepting latest bid. Also reported Sterling will make 200k a week...

Dzeko? Would imagine he will be much cheaper.

Edit: Multiple journalists saying that Liverpool have accepted a 49 million bid.

If that fee is correct then I'd go to Liverpool and pack Sterling's bags myself* if that's what it takes.

*pretty sure I couldn't sort out UK visa in time, though...

49m? That's just ridiculous, especially if the rumored 200k a week is accurate. He's talented but no way he should ever be that expensive, especially with City being the only team in for him. For that much money and his attitude, hope he has some serious challenges.

agreed. Those numbers are way high, but hey City can afford it.

If he was an England star (he's not) or dominated the PL for years (he hasn't) then I get it. But he has 16 caps and had one superb season playing behind Sturridge and Suarez. The fact he's 7m more than Ozil or 14m more than Sanchez (and paid more than both, almost combined) boggles my mind.

Still, he will be really good with City so I see why they did it. Their fans won't care about the cost, just the production behind Aguero and the pairing with Silva.

Yeah, but Caroll was 35 million. Shaw was expensive too - and sterling is a much bigger prospect than shaw. Liverpool have done well to get that much money for him. The question isn't how many top seasons he's had, at least not for me, it's the amount of talent he has shown. He's unplayable on his day, he's young, and will only get better. He will also improve City. It's a signing that works for both clubs as long as Liverpool don't piss the money away in the transfer window.

Why are City paying him so much? I understand that Liverpool have leverage over the price but Sterling has thrown away all of his bargaining power.

Liverpool really need a striker but seem low on ideas. It has not helped that so many other teams seem to need one too with not many good options. Aguero vs Costa, both form and fitness, might decide the league this year.

I'm not that surprised at the price. With the TV money getting ever more ridiculous, Premiership prices, especially between two English clubs, are going to continue to go up. Add on the English tax, which gets an added boost in this case because City are struggling to fulfill the quota rules this year, and it's not that surprising.

The wages are, but it might be insurance against Madrid and Barca sniffing around in two years time if he does well.

Eta: I've seen quite a bit of chat that the only person reporting the 200k a week is a journalist who has links to Liverpool but not City, and is therefore not necessarily a reliable source. We'll see (possibly) how that plays out.

Arsenal need a striker bad. I keep praying Lacazette will come. I do like Walcott up front though. I think he has 20 goals in him.

If Liverpool can't get Lacazette, perhaps we should hope Arsenal do so we can sign Walcott. Both Walcott and Hernandez are decent options for us, Mirallas too if there wasn't so much bad blood after his fouls on Suarez, and all a better fit than Benteke.

If Liverpool can't get Lacazette, perhaps we should hope Arsenal do so we can sign Walcott. Both Walcott and Hernandez are decent options for us, Mirallas too if there wasn't so much bad blood after his fouls on Suarez, and all a better fit than Benteke.

Arsenal aren't selling Walcott. Wenger believes he's just entering his prime and Walcott just signed a new contract I believe after assurances from Wenger he'd be a striker. No chance Wenger would sell him to an English side unless Walcott throws a strop like Sterling did.

Arsenal need a striker bad. I keep praying Lacazette will come. I do like Walcott up front though. I think he has 20 goals in him.

Don't think we will get one. Especially with the Welbeck transfer last year. He's probably going to hope we have enough goals in us from the strikers we do have, especially a fit again walcott. We need more goals from our other players, the likes of cazorla, AOC, Ramsey, Jack.

I feel like we're going to now just see if anyone becomes available during the window, if someone pops up who he thinks can genuinely make us better, then he will get him.

Edit: The telegraph are saying that Schneiderlin to United is done. Apparently he's having a medical. Someone hold Mexal.

Archived