Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 4: Set Phases to 3

The Anti-Targ

I think the comics replacing everyone is just a gimmick to affect sales, not necessarily with the movies in mind- you won't have Natalie Portman as Thor.

But yeah, I agree that there shouldn't be any problem in changing actors as long as they do it right.

That said, sooner or later they'll have to reboot simply because they keep killing villains- they can't use Red Skull, Ronan (who has been a hero rather than a villain for a long time, so it's a double waste), the Iron Man villains, Von Strucker, Malekith, etc, anymore. Ultron too, but he can easily be brought back to life in a way the others can't.

Saying that Bond comes back pretty much every 5 years so there's no reason why IM and Cap can't either.

That's comparing apples and oranges really. To me, the thing which really makes me love the MCU is its continuity. The individual movies are good for the most part and often great, but without the interconnectivity I don't think I'd consider them nearly as special. So I'm completely opposed to anything that would dilute that and reduce the continuity to broad strokes. 

Ergo I'd much rather that they bought in new characters than recasting the old ones. Having Iron Man be permanently in his 40s moves the MCU into comicbook time which I'm not a fan of. And no one can really replace RDJ as Stark. But having a new character wear the suit? That achieves much the same thing while allowing the continuity to remain strong. 

I think the comics replacing everyone is just a gimmick to affect sales, not necessarily with the movies in mind- you won't have Natalie Portman as Thor.

But yeah, I agree that there shouldn't be any problem in changing actors as long as they do it right.

That said, sooner or later they'll have to reboot simply because they keep killing villains- they can't use Red Skull, Ronan (who has been a hero rather than a villain for a long time, so it's a double waste), the Iron Man villains, Von Strucker, Malekith, etc, anymore. Ultron too, but he can easily be brought back to life in a way the others can't.

I don't think running out of characters (villainous or otherwise) is a problem. They have the comics as a continuous and infinite resource for new characters. They're at the point where it wouldn't surprise me to see comic book characters created specifically with the purpose of providing material for the films. They've proven that they can be successful with very minor characters and that the movies can drive comicbook sales. The Guardians are A-listers now. So I would expect them to come up with brand new characters, then a few years later make a film of them and bam! guaranteed new popular characters. Assuming the quality keeps up that is.

Yeah, there's no reason they can't have the characters grow with age. They could take the Batman Beyond angle, where Bruce Wayne retired as Batman but supported the next gen Batman.

And if they moved movie Tony into that type of mentor role, you can be sure the comics would follow suit.

Pretending like my opinion matters for a moment, here's how I would handle the Phase 1 characters:

-Tony retires as Ironman and takes on an apprentice like Batman Beyond.

-Steve dies and is replaced by Falcon or Bucky. (Evans could always comeback at some point, since there is always a backdoor for death in the comics)

-Odin finally dies (maybe Loki already killed him) and Thor becomes king in Asgard, so he won't be popping back to Earth every three years. That way Hemsworth can take a break and when he returns in Phase 5 it'll be an event.

-Banner can find a cure or just leave (kind of like he did in A2) to some remote corner of the Earth of Galaxy.

-Black Widow and Hawkeye can rotate in and out easily. He can "retire" to be with his family until when or if he gets sucked back in. She can go rogue or solo and be off the grid for future Avengers movies.

ETA: Sounds like Banner is taking a bit of a break like I predicted above. I like they are adding in story reasons for characters to be offscreen. Ironman 3, Thor 2, and Cap 2 were all a bit weird for not having the others show up.

-Odin finally dies (maybe Loki already killed him) and Thor becomes king in Asgard, so he won't be popping back to Earth every three years. That way Hemsworth can take a break and when he returns in Phase 5 it'll be an event.

Hopkins isn't returning again, so he probably is dead.

But Loki was posing as him. You'd still need him for those scenes in Thor 3 presumably?

Who knows? He's said: 'I've done two that's enough.' And was doing his best Edward Norton impression during the promotion for Thor 2. Maybe they will lure him back for a couple of scenes, but they'll be purely exposition.

I'm sure it is just a gimmick - I certainly don't think they were told to by higher ups. It's just that MArvel has always had a sliding timescale to prevent characters ever really ageing (DC just reboots) but that's sort of impossible in the MCU unless they recast or reboot. I'm not sure whether movie goers would want to see the MCU redone though. Anyway back to my original thought this may be a case of the comics doing the MCU a favour in giving them some opportunities for new characters to take on existing hero roles. Miles Morales is already locked in - we just need to see if any of the other new legacy characters genuinely work (not sure any have yet)

To be fair it's not like any of the villains you mentioned haven't died in the comics before and returned. It's easy enough to bring most of them back what with the cosmic cube, super serums and borderline god status of many of them. If they were lazy Thanos could bring them back for some reason with the infinity gauntlet.

I feel like the Netflix TV series has a lot of opportunity to get into some deep story-telling and character development. IN some way it has potential to be superior to the movies. When it comes down to it serialised comic books do suit being made into TV series much more than being made into movies.

I feel like the Netflix TV series has a lot of opportunity to get into some deep story-telling and character development. IN some way it has potential to be superior to the movies. When it comes down to it serialised comic books do suit being made into TV series much more than being made into movies.

Definitely, you can have season long arcs with villains, really develop them correctly and add depth to the heroes and villains alike. 

With the amount of big stars doing Netflix shows, it wouldn't be hard to get some big names if they truly tried and put the money towards it. 

Chris Evans is pretty open to the possibility of lengthening his contract after Infinity War.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-chris-evans-marvel-contract-extension/

He seems almost too keen. His agent needs to coach him on negotiating skills.

I think they should give him a go at directing a marvel film as he's keen on following that aspect of his career. It doesn't have to be a cap america one.

He seems almost too keen. His agent needs to coach him on negotiating skills.
I think they should give him a go at directing a marvel film as he's keen on following that aspect of his career. It doesn't have to be a cap america one.

Such eagerness is likely a ploy to get the contract to include plenty of directing methinks.

I agree with most of that. Although I will say that given the lack of Hulk solo films, Hulk is in a good spot to be a last holdover of the old generation for Phase 4. 

Planet Hulk is sounding like a strong possibility...

http://www.thewrap.com/captain-america-civil-war-wont-feature-the-hulk-for-truly-significant-reason-says-mark-ruffalo/

And that's coming from a credible source

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Credible%20Hulk_zpshdraof1d.jpg.html

Archived