Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 4: Set Phases to 3

The Anti-Targ

Animated movie, I think.

I checked and you're right, but that seems really strange to me. Apparently it won't be part of the MCU. 

As for doing it with wires and stuntmen, if they were able to do it for that musical I don't see why they couldn't do it for TV. According to wikipedia only six people were horribly injured.

I checked and you're right, but that seems really strange to me. Apparently it won't be part of the MCU. 

As for doing it with wires and stuntmen, if they were able to do it for that musical I don't see why they couldn't do it for TV. According to wikipedia only six people were horribly injured.

LOL RE the stunts.

I guess the animated movie is just a way of Sony getting to feel they are still in control. It will probably be akin to the Clone Wars film release.

LMAO

Well yeah you would have to hire an actual Hollywood stunt coordinator instead of someone putting together a musical on a stage. Hire whoever did the stunts for MM Fury Road. If people can drive through explosions and swing back and forth on 30-foot poles and fight on top of moving vehicles while tearing through the desert and not have one person get hurt I'm pretty sure we could get Spider-Man to do a flippy twist kick without killing himself.

Read this morning that FOX is in negotiations with Marvel to obtain the live-action television rights to the X-Men because they want to create their own TV universe as well. Some people have been speculating that Marvel would be willing to allow FOX to have the rights in exchange for The Fantastic Four, which is just getting completely (and predictably) shit on in early reviews.

I'd do that shit in a heartbeat. Marvel not having rights to the characters that started it all for them is almost criminal.

Read this morning that FOX is in negotiations with Marvel to obtain the live-action television rights to the X-Men because they want to create their own TV universe as well. Some people have been speculating that Marvel would be willing to allow FOX to have the rights in exchange for The Fantastic Four, which is just getting completely (and predictably) shit on in early reviews.

I'd do that shit in a heartbeat. Marvel not having rights to the characters that started it all for them is almost criminal.

Not seeing the benefit to Marvel in such a swap, to be honest.

The X-Men was substantially the more valuable property to start with, even before the FF movie. It has been for decades, if we're honest. The movie has made the situation worse. The value of those characters right now is even lower. (And yes, that includes Doom. As much as Fox have not been able to make the FF work, they haven't been able to make Doom work either.) Maybe Marvel can make these characters work, but right now they have no need to go out of their way for the chance.

True, they're getting access to some minor associated characters not in the current movie: Galactus, who they don't really need (they're well stocked for cosmic-level villains) and Silver Surfer, maybe. Against that, they're giving up the limited influence they have over the much more extensive and valuable library of X-Men characters, allowing Fox to make even more money with them. Not a good deal IMO. Much as I like the Surfer, he's not worth that.

It seems like a win-win to me.

X-Men is FOX's power house franchise, no way is Marvel films getting even a whiff of that whether they grant television right or not. Might as well take FF.

While FF is a badly damaged property, it's badly damaged in a way FOX can do nothing with it, but at Marvel the characters can only help to enrich their universe. They are sorely in need of a charismatic villain. Doom done right can be that. The threat of Galactus is also great to have to as an alternative to just having Thanos and risking that getting played out.

The actual FF can be great supporting characters in the MCU even if they don't carry a film on their own.

It would be a good deal.

it's not like Marvel can make X-men TV shows if they refuse to let Fox either. It seems a decent deal - it would be a long time before there's any possibility of marvel getting the x-men back and by then they may have established the inhumans as a viable alternative.

Marvel can make animated shows with all the characters though. It just seems they are reluctant to do so with properties Fox own.

Doom is the greatest villain Marvel has. Granted that wouldn't mean anything to them, they've fucked up plenty of great villains, but I think they'd know better than to do that with him.

I don't think Marvel would give Fantastic Four their own movie, at least not for a long time, but they could definitely be introduced in one of their other movies.

Plus this deal would also give them the rights back to the Skrull, and depending on how strong this thing is still going, we could have Phase 4 be the formation of The Illuminati and The Secret Invasion.

it's not like Marvel can make X-men TV shows if they refuse to let Fox either. It seems a decent deal

I was wondering about this. I figured you must be right, or we would have seen X-Men tv shows from Marvel already.

But that got me thinking - perhaps Marvel are wary of a tv show, if not done right (escpecially on TV budgets), could damage the X-Men property as a whole. That may or may not be a reason they haven't done a live action show themselves - but it absolutely, definitely could be a reason they'd be hesitant to give Fox the rights to do so.

Plus this deal would also give them the rights back to the Skrull, and depending on how strong this thing is still going, we could have Phase 4 be the formation of The Illuminati and The Secret Invasion.

Or at least be able to say something in one of the movies like "The Chitauri are known by many races, some know them as The Scrull" and then have the Chitauri be called the Scrull after that.

For the life of me, I don't understand how the whole "you can't use the word mutant" thing benefits anyone... I understand why they can't cross over ...although many think that it would be in both companies --Fox & Disney-- best interest to figure out a way to play nice..... or even to have the ability to mention one another.,,

If they extend this silliness into television, it'll be even more frustrating.

Or at least be able to say something in one of the movies like "The Chitauri are known by many races, some know them as The Scrull" and then have the Chitauri be called the Scrull after that.

I'm cool with them keeping the Chitauri as they are, I want my Skrulls to be the distinctive religious shapeshifters they should be. Chitauri can just be an alien race Thanos controls.

For the life of me, I don't understand how the whole "you can't use the word mutant" thing benefits anyone... I understand why they can't cross over ...although many think that it would be in both companies --Fox & Disney-- best interest to figure out a way to play nice..... or even to have the ability to mention one another.,,

If they extend this silliness into television, it'll be even more frustrating.

Didn't it start in TV with Mutant X?

I do think it would be really good to get Galactus to add to the cosmic villain roster. Everything cosmic being about Thanos will start to get a bit one note and tiresome. Especially if they move into a phase 4, bringing Galactus into the MCU will freshen things up.

The Skrulls are just the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of villains/characters that are tied up to the FF that could work wonders for Marvel:

- Doctor Doom, obviously: Latveria is the setting of Secret War, which could work as a solo Black Widow movie in the far future. And Ant Man beating the shit out of Doom is epic)

- Psycho Man: Villain of the Quantum Realm who'd the perfect antagonist for Ant Man

- Galactus, Silver Surfer, and various intergalactic foes that could meet the Guardians of the Galaxy and Hulk, if Planet Hulk eventually happens

- Annihulus, of the Annihilation War, crossover event

- Kang the Conqueror, a big Avengers villain

- Beetle, key member of the Thunderbolts (I'm not giving up on a TB movie, despite the evidence to the contrary)

- Namor, though I think it's really Universal that owns the rights of that

And yeah, the Skrulls and Secret Invasion. So screw Richards and the other 3 losers. What Marvel could really use is the villains.

I do hope we get the Illuminati in the MCU, even without Charles Xavier and Namor, you still have:

Iron Man
Reed Richards (assuming Marvel gets the rights)
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Black Bolt

You have them introduced at the end of Phase 3 leading into Phase 4 as the guys who make the decision to exile The Hulk setting up a Planet Hulk and World War Hulk movie for the Phase 4 finale.

it's not like Marvel can make X-men TV shows if they refuse to let Fox either. It seems a decent deal - it would be a long time before there's any possibility of marvel getting the x-men back and by then they may have established the inhumans as a viable alternative.

Marvel can make animated shows with all the characters though. It just seems they are reluctant to do so with properties Fox own.

But a TV show, in theory at least, promotes the movies and generates more revenue for FOX and more viewers for it's films. Though I doubt AoS is being watched by anyone that doesn't see the Marvel films, a X-men TV show wouldn't be so tied to the films presumably.

Also, the Inhumans as X-men replacements things was a complete flop already, so much Marvel now got desperate enough that their attempted tactic to get sales for the Inhumans book is "Find out what happened to Cyclops in Uncanny Inhumans! Also starring Beast and the Human Torch", which is a tactic that won't work on film obviously.

I do hope we get the Illuminati in the MCU, even without Charles Xavier and Namor, you still have:

Iron Man
Reed Richards (assuming Marvel gets the rights)
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Black Bolt

You have them introduced at the end of Phase 3 leading into Phase 4 as the guys who make the decision to exile The Hulk setting up a Planet Hulk and World War Hulk movie for the Phase 4 finale.

The group is kinda of pointless without Namor, because he's the agitator. All the others are too level-headed most of the time.

Here's my idea for all future origin stories for 2nd tier characters (including characters in the current MCU roster who haven't had their origins told already (Black Widow, Hawkeye for example)) and for main characters who've had a live action movie in the last 30 years:

Marvel Origins - Short films (30-45 minutes) animated by Pixar, using the actors from the MCU. Theatrical releases with 3 or 4 origin stories per release. This could also include the MCU canon Spider Man origin.

This could allow, for instance, if F4 comes back to Marvel there's no need to do a 3rd (4th actually since there was apparently an awful straight to video movie in the 90s) full live action reboot movie in order to bring them into the MCU. They can just slot in wherever there is a natural entry point.

If Fox gets a mutant tv show, they could easily put together an X-Force or X-Factor series that loosely ties to the movies. A Havoc led X-Factor or Cable led X-Force with a team of 5 or 6 lesser known mutants would be good to introduce more mutant villains that never made the big screen.

Archived