Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 4: Set Phases to 3

The Anti-Targ

As long as they don't go for a Goblin again. Kraven is probably not the best one for a first movie, but could work great in an eventual sequel.

My guess would be on Vulture or Mysterio. Or maybe Dr. Octopus again. Although personally I would like to see Scorpion for once.

it might be a super-powered Kraven?

The problem with a lot of the previously unseen villains is that they feel like they can't carry a film eg Chameleon or are far too big/start off on a mystical/cosmic front eg Morlun or Morbius.

Scorpion might seem a bit too similar to the Lizard.

I think the Vulture or Smythe can be fashioned into villains that fit with spidey and have financial clout/brains to be a threat.

It's weird how I always think of Spidey as having a great villains cast but it does feel like a lot of them have already been used.

I just hate how the go-to Spiderman villian is always Green Goblin.  Because he kinda sucks, always seemed like a crappy midpoint between Lex Luthor and Joker. 

I guess Venom isn't a possibility since he's getting his own movie?  I think Kraven is still doable as a first villain.

Someone around here touted Kraven for Spider-Man 4.  (A continuation of the Raimi films.)

Have Dr. Conners become the Lizard and Pete tries to help him, but Kraven comes in to hunt the Lizard and turns his attention to Pete as well.  Obviously we lost that possibility.

With Spidey being introduced in Civil War, maybe you can bring in Kraven wanting to hunt him after seeing him in action during those events.

You don't have to adapt Kraven's Last Hunt straight away. The guy has a pretty straight forward motivation - hunt super powered individuals, so he doesn't need much set-up, he just needs a charismatic actor. Leaves some space to focus on Spiderman. 

I am really excited for the Green Goblin in the MCU. It's really lacking good villains aside from Loki (even Ultron wasn't that good - charismatic but not complex.). Until we get the F4 rights back with Dr. Doom, GG is probably the best villain that the MCU has now. I'd introduce Osborn in the background, wait a film or two to turn him into the GG. But there's so much potential for him to be the villain of an Avengers film.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I just hate how the go-to Spiderman villian is always Green Goblin.  Because he kinda sucks, always seemed like a crappy midpoint between Lex Luthor and Joker. 

I guess Venom isn't a possibility since he's getting his own movie?  I think Kraven is still doable as a first villain.

I much prefer Dr Octopus over him too and the recent comics have helped establish him as the premier Spidey foe.

If it's really a villain we haven't seen yet then Venom isn't on the cards. It's a shame Rhino was hardly in ASM2.

I just hope it isn't mysterio as I don't really want to watch a film all about illusions - unless they have a clever script using Mysterio as a villain where Spidey gets a hold on his spidey-sense. Kraven will probably work if he has a good actor handling him and they possibly establish him by capturing some other disposable superheroes at the start of the film? Spidey doesn't have to save NY either - especially now he's in a world where he can call Iron Man or Thor. It may be better to keep the villains small time and personal.

18 minutes ago, Leap said:

I think the Venom movie was cancelled since Sony decided to go in with the MCU. 

I don't know much about Kraven, but he seems to bring something new to the field so that's fine by me. I look forward to it. Venom would be awesome though, particularly if they were to feature any of the Defenders in that film (I don't know if there's a comic book basis for that, I just think it would be awesome). 

Nah... It's back on.  But not part of the MCU.

THR reports Sony has hired Dante Harper to write the script for Venom, which, naturally, is being envisioned as a potential franchise-starter. What’s more surprising is that the studio sees this film as a standalone completely “apart from and unrelated to” the upcoming Spider-Manmovie starring Tom Holland. Venom isn’t joining Spidey in the MCU, in other words; he’s going to try to forge his own path on the big screen. Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach will produce.

1 minute ago, Leap said:

Ah, my bad. 

And that is stupid as fuck. Come on Sony, what the shit?

Yeah... I got nothing on that one.  It makes no sense whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I think Kraven can't work if you make him appear in just one film, he has to be built up: in the first film, he's the guy that is soundly humiliated by Spider-Man, a throwaway villain, goes to jail, etc, and then in the second or third you have Kraven's Last Hunt.

Post-credit scene - Kraven sharpening a homemade knife in his prison cell.

Well it will be interesting to base a franchise around a Villain rather than a hero. Kinda like the Friday the 13th movies and Nightmare on Elm street. The cast of each movie complete changes except for the villain. I guess they figure a Villain-based Franchise doesn't fit with the MCU direction. The trouble is, what super-powered individuals are going to go up against venom when they are all tied up in either X-men, F4 or the MCU?

Sooooooooooooo........ a Venom movie but either without Spiderman, or with a different Spiderman than the one in the Marvel Universe.... Does Sony pictures actually believe that there are enough nerdy masochists out there for something that sounds this awful to make money? .... Whoever is behind this idea has to be psychotically delusional .... especially after the last Spiderman bomb and the Fantastic Four... People won't turn out for any piece of shit just because its based on a comic book

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Sooooooooooooo........ a Venom movie but either without Spiderman, or with a different Spiderman than the one in the Marvel Universe.... Does Sony pictures actually believe that there are enough nerdy masochists out there for something that sounds this awful to make money? .... Whoever is behind this idea has to be psychotically delusional .... especially after the last Spiderman bomb and the Fantastic Four... People won't turn out for any piece of shit just because its based on a comic book

ASM2 didn't bomb.. It made $200 million domestic and $700 million worldwide.

Its only failure was that it didn't make Avengers numbers.

I don't know why people thought the Garfield Spider Man movies were bombed. They did lower numbers than the McGuire Spider Man movies but they still did very well at the box office globally.

But clearly Sony felt that the franchise needed something more, or it would end up eventually sliding into unprofitability.

Well Venom did get his own spinoff comic book series in the 90s. IIRC he moved to San Francisco and became a Punisher-style vigilante who was obsessed with saving innocents and killed (and cannabalized?) his enemies. His first set of enemies were a team of symbiotes spawned off of him and Carnage as well as some sonic gun toting Shield style agents. 

Don't see how this works out regardless. Loved Venom and owned his comics but I'm not interested at all.

So he would kind of become a bit like Dexter. Violent and murderous, but always trying to kill the bad guys. I hope if they go that route he thinks about why it doesn't stop him from being angry all the time and he's never happy. If they can make it a physchological drama then it could be OK.

Archived