Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 4: Set Phases to 3

The Anti-Targ

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

ASM2 didn't bomb.. It made $200 million domestic and $700 million worldwide.

Its only failure was that it didn't make Avengers numbers.

It was a critical bomb but I agree to throw the towel in and join the MCU seemed an over-reaction. Even if it is what fans were wanting. Surely they share proceeds with Marvel studios now so they'd need the next spidey film to make a lot more to make more than ASM2. It was pretty damning that they failed to beat the Raimi films given inflation though.

Going purely by looking at the toy aisle, comic covers, and catching an episode on tv of the new spidey series, isn't Venom a good(-ish) secret agent guy now and even trooping about with the Guardians of the Galaxy?

50 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Going purely by looking at the toy aisle, comic covers, and catching an episode on tv of the new spidey series, isn't Venom a good(-ish) secret agent guy now and even trooping about with the Guardians of the Galaxy?

Yes he is. Although that's not Eddie Brock in the suit, it's Flash Thompson.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Presumably they share the cost with Marvel too though.

That's a valid point. I'm not even sure how the division of labour/reward works with the whole sharing thing. It's probably fairly complicated especially when Spidey appears in Cap America. I'm guessing that one is "free" in the sense Sony gets a lot of free exposure from it. Hopefully they'll shed some light on how things work when the spidey film lands.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

It was a critical bomb but I agree to throw the towel in and join the MCU seemed an over-reaction.

No, because it wasn't just the critical reaction that caused this- the movie was a disappointment box office wise, also the Sony leaks revealed they basically had no idea what the hell they were doing.

5 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

No, because it wasn't just the critical reaction that caused this- the movie was a disappointment box office wise, also the Sony leaks revealed they basically had no idea what the hell they were doing.

It was a disappointment, but it was still mildly profitable. But mildly profitable is not too far from unprofitable, and I think they saw the writing on the wall, that the franchise would wind up unprofitable if they kept trying to go it alone.

Is the reason they kept recycling the Green Goblin because Marvel didn't release many villains for Spidey when they signed over the spidey rights? Now Sony has access to a much bigger range of villains for Spidey solo movies I assume.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It was a disappointment, but it was still mildly profitable. But mildly profitable is not too far from unprofitable, and I think they saw the writing on the wall, that the franchise would wind up unprofitable if they kept trying to go it alone.

Is the reason they kept recycling the Green Goblin because Marvel didn't release many villains for Spidey when they signed over the spidey rights? Now Sony has access to a much bigger range of villains for Spidey solo movies I assume.

They had enough villains to be planning a Sinister Six movie... And that group didn't even include Lizard, Kraven, Venom, Sandman, Carnage or Electro.  Don't know how many more villains you can realistically hope for. :dunno: 

I loved Garfield and Stone.  I wish they hadn't shoe-horned Goblin into the third act of ASM2.  A third movie with Gwen/Peter culminating in her death would have been better.

Still think a minor ret-con could have fit the Garfield movies into the MCU and then you could even have the major reveal of Spidey's identity in Civil War.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They had pretty much all of the villains that started out as Spiderman villains. I do wonder how specific these contracts got on particular characters, but in any case Marvel didn't really have much choice, they were in a very tight spot.

14 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I guess they could have spent a shit load on marketing it (which seemed the case at the time) and that's usually as much or more than the cost of making the film so the net profit may have been dubious.

Has the film industry ever went through an economic crash in terms of itself? The current scenario where a film has to make a billion  (with budgets in the 100 million and marketing in the 100+ million) in order to succeed seems like a recipe for disaster. How many Fant4stic have to happen for a studio to be in financial trouble? The whole thing just feels as though it's edging towards bigger budgets in hop of bigger (but relatively smaller) gains. I guess this is more of a blockbuster issue but that's the superhero genre. It shows why Deadpool is getting a lot of attention due to it having a modest budget but again they promoted the shit out of that film so how much did it really cost?

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess they could have spent a shit load on marketing it (which seemed the case at the time) and that's usually as much or more than the cost of making the film so the net profit may have been dubious.

Has the film industry ever went through an economic crash in terms of itself? The current scenario where a film has to make a billion  (with budgets in the 100 million and marketing in the 100+ million) in order to succeed seems like a recipe for disaster. How many Fant4stic have to happen for a studio to be in financial trouble? The whole thing just feels as though it's edging towards bigger budgets in hop of bigger (but relatively smaller) gains. I guess this is more of a blockbuster issue but that's the superhero genre. It shows why Deadpool is getting a lot of attention due to it having a modest budget but again they promoted the shit out of that film so how much did it really cost?

We're not yet at the point where films are expected to make a billion dollars. Only 24 films in history have made that much: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

24 minutes ago, protar said:

We're not yet at the point where films are expected to make a billion dollars. Only 24 films in history have made that much: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

we can't be that far off if ASM2 is currently the 78th highest grossing film and was considered a flop though. I guess this is where the fact it made less than ASM1 or any of the older Raimi films comes into play because 700 million + is a high bench mark. But not a billion, like I said although I guess they want to be doing Marvel numbers which tend to be in the 750 range. It still doesn't seem worth sharing unless they are expecting a much bigger leap eg the billion mark of Iron Man and the Avengers.

I wonder how much Civil War is expected to make? Given the Avengers 2.5 feel to it I can imagine they'd like to hit billion (even though winter soldier was in the low 700 region)

What's Tony say to signal Spiderman? I can't make it out.

It seems odd that they'd hold the events of Avengers and Winter Solider against powered people. One was an alien invasion and the other an extreme case of government corruption, and in both cases Captain America and the rest of the Avengers saved people. Even holding the events of Age of Ultron against them is iffy. Yeah Tony and Banner created Ultron, but it didn't really require their special abilities just their intelligence and access to alien technology. 

"Underoos!"

I know this because... I had underoos as a kid... 

ETA: Looks like the underoos site is being hammered. Page won't load. :lol: "Thanks, Tony Stark for making us relevant again!"

Archived