Rant & Rave Without Repercussion s 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

So about that Myrcella's necklace. I don't remember it quite well but was it explained how did it end in that "message" to Cersei? I could rewatch the Dorne scenes but I rather not ...

I thought Ellaria or one of the SS's stole it from her? The major problem with the necklaces was the fact there were more than two. In season 1 Sansa got one from Joffrey (or am I wrong?). So there were at least three in existence and not two.

I thought Ellaria or one of the SS's stole it from her? The major problem with the necklaces was the fact there were more than two. In season 1 Sansa got one from Joffrey (or am I wrong?). So there were at least three in existence and not two.

Didn't Tyrion also give Shae a lion necklace as well?

Wait, wait, wait. I've just casually googled for pics of Jaime and found these:

Season 1: http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23100000/Jaime-Lannister-jaime-lannister-23108821-1600-1200.jpg
Season 4: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1786222!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/game-thrones-season-4.jpg
Is it just me or did they purposely swapped the way his armour looked in the books? I recall him having used an expensive gilded Lannister armor before his character development and swapping it to the polished white of the Kingsguard after his adventures with Brienne make him rethink his life. Bloody hells, it is the exact opposite in the show! Giving him a Kingsguard armor in season 1 for budget reasons is excusable, but changing it with a gilded one after Brienne's departure... they must have did it on purpose, that's... I simply cannot get my head around why anybody would do that...

Actually, every KG member wears the second one from season 4 onwards.

Didn't Tyrion also give Shae a lion necklace as well?

I know some people in the R&R threads did mention this, but I can't remember myself when he did that (that is why I said "at least". 

But it looks like Tyrion also gave one to Ros

So there exist at least four (Cersei, Myrcella, Sansa and Ros) or (edit) maybe even five (Cersei, Myrcella, Sansa, Ros and Shae). 

This was the reason why some "fans" thought Cersei was trying to trick Jaime in sending him away... But it looks like they forgot the male Lannisters were giving away a lot of those necklaces. The worst thing is that Cersei actually used to know there were more than two necklaces?

I tried re-watching the first few epis over the weekend; couldn't. Nearly every scene was tainted. 

Looking back at S1 now, I marvel at the quality, the tone... where did it all go? I suspect the quality of the show has an inverse relationship with D&D's egos. 

I've heard and read a lot of disparaging comments on LOST (including the infamous 'pulling a LOST" from GRRM himself). I was an avid fan of that show till S5. Come S6, and well... I think we all know what happened.

But even with S6, I think LOST is better, far better than GoT as it stands. Mainly, this is down to the characters. Despite making the characters look like blithering unquestioning idiots towards the end, overall I thought many of them were written and acted very well across 6 years. Locke and Jack come to mind; Sawyer, Hurley, Sayid (ignore Sayid in S6!). They had distinct personalities and baggage and flaws; you got to know and love/loathe them (Ben!). 

For me at least, the show was about the characters, not the nth mystery unresolved (well, that too but not so much). 

Here, with GoT, they've let the characters down and for me, that is a deal breaker. They've stripped away nuance and complexity and reduced most characters to one-note expository vessels with a superficial trait emblazoned over their foreheads: Jaime=pining bro; Arya=cool-killer, Sansa=rape fodder etc. 

I know some people in the R&R threads did mention this, but I can't remember myself when he did that (that is why I said "at least". 

So there exist at least four (Cersei, Myrcella, Sansa and Ros) or five (Cersei, Myrcella, Sansa, Ros and Shae). 

This was the reason why some "fans" thought Cersei was trying to trick Jaime in sending him away... But it looks like they forgot the male Lannisters were giving away a lot of those necklaces. The worst thing is that Cersei actually used to know there were more than two necklaces?

It may have been Ros I was thinking of, not Shae.

So there exist at least four (Cersei, Myrcella, Sansa and Ros) or (edit) maybe even five (Cersei, Myrcella, Sansa, Ros and Shae). 

Shae does not have one. And the one given to Ros is different to the others. So there are 3, not 2.

Shae does not have one. And the one given to Ros is different to the others. So there are 3, not 2.

You are right about Ros' Her's is much larger

On an unrelated topic, I think D&D spend more time in Microsoft Excel than Microsoft Word. That is the root of all problems. Themes are for 8th grade students, but assets management is for university graduates. This is the hidden meaning in their words of wisdom. Damn. I blame education systems.

I know what you mean, but this conjured an image in my mind of D&D writing the first draft of their scripts in Excel. It probably goes something like this:

Boobs (in pairs) per episode

Boobs overall

Rapes of main characters

Rapes of minor characters/extras

Rapes overall

Deaths of main characters

Deaths of minor characters/extras

Deaths overall

Olenna gay jokes

Other gay jokes

Gay jokes overall

Sassy lines per episode

Sassy lines overall

Dragons per episode

Dragons overall

People praising Tyrion per episode

People praising Tyrion overall

Shocking moments per episode

Shocking moments episode 9

Shocking moments episode 10

Shocking moments overall

And of course, they have the same stats for previous seasons, including Nielsen ratings, download ratings, Emmy noms and $$$$, and use it for comparison to know if they have the right amount of boobs, dragons, gay jokes, murders, Tyrion love, rapes and shocking moments.

I know what you mean, but this conjured an image in my mind of D&D writing the first draft of their scripts in Excel. It probably goes something like this:

Boobs overall

Rapes of main characters

Rapes overall

Deaths overall

Olenna gay jokes

Other gay jokes

Gay jokes overall

Sassy lines per episode

Sassy lines overall

Dragons per episode

Dragons overall

Shocking moments overall

And of course, they have the same stats for previous seasons, including Nielsen ratings, download ratings, Emmy noms and $$$$, and use it for comparison to know if they have the right amount of boobs, dragons, gay jokes, murders, Tyrion love, rapes and shocking moments.

They probably formed a visual graph based on those factors and their relations with ratings throughout seasons too. And of course a revenue/cost graph based on ratings and production costs. Damn someone must tell them the causation-correlation thing.

They really should hit a hard wall with the latter. I think Star Wars fans are very aware of what happens in their favourite movies, despite GoT fans. There are many diehard fans of it, and they can see the bullshit very well.

Yeah, I'm a big Star Wars fan (not the horrible prequels), but it's very telling that Benioff not only missed the point of being a Jedi, and that Yoda explicitly told Luke when he returned, "No more training do you require. Already know you that which you need," but that Benioff casually misrepresented the story, like it didn't even matter. Which is what he's doing with ASOIAF, too.

But even with S6, I think LOST is better, far better than GoT as it stands. 

Yeah, I think Lost went too over-complicated and they used to introduce potentially interesting characters only to kill them off without development, but there were engaging characters and they didn't tried to be gritty and edgy. And as far as I remember Lost was actually heavily criticized for it's failures.

Boobs overall

Rapes of main characters

Rapes overall

Deaths overall

Olenna gay jokes

Other gay jokes

Gay jokes overall

Sassy lines per episode

Sassy lines overall

Dragons per episode

Dragons overall

Shocking moments overall

:lmao:

Yeah, I think Lost went too over-complicated and they used to introduce potentially interesting characters only to kill them off without development, but there were engaging characters and they didn't tried to be gritty and edgy. And as far as I remember Lost was actually heavily criticized for it's failures.

I don't want to say too much, but it wasn't worth watching. And there were very vocal defenders of the mess.

Archived