Rant & Rave Without Repercussion s 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

More pretty story pictures (not like Olly and Young Olly), the man who played Jesus will play Bloodraven, Max Von Sydow:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/03/game-thrones-max-von-sydow (Hibberd still getting the scoops)

http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/20845/The-Greatest-Story-Ever-Told/overview

Oh, damn it. They will continue to waste great actors. And I'll have to watch his scenes on Youtube. 

Max Von Sydow will be a waste if they have already cut mostly of Bran's training. I mean, what's the point of Bloodraven, then? :dunno:

Oh, damn it. They will continue to waste great actors. And I'll have to watch his scenes on Youtube. 

That's what I do, watch select scenes on Youtube. 

It's like the only way to actually enjoy this mess.

It would be nice if HBO Go had scene selection. A filter for gratuitous rape would be nice. And book line subtitles. They could get fancy with it.

I can just see it.

Click A if you want to see deleted scenes, including those that would have made the show more coherent ie Loras in mourning (run time 190 min)

Click B if you want all graphic violence and unnecessary adult content removed (run time 5 min)

Click C if you would just like to see Jaime Lannister gazing at Tarth on a loop (we know you're out there) :)

Click C if you would just like to see Jaime Lannister gazing at Tarth on a loop (we know you're out there) :)

And C could be alternatively titled, Scenes where Jaime acted like Jaime. And this would be the only time option C showed up all season.

Ok, according to [url=http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/133632-what-do-you-expect-to-see-in-bran-storyline-in-season-6/#entry7237093]this[/url] post, they cut Bran because his training would be... well, not very interesting. Their words:

"Like, it would be far less interesting, after The Empire Strikes Back to have an hour-long movie in between Empire and Return of the Jedi where Luke is training. It’s so much cooler to cut from end of Empire to beginning of Return, where he’s become the Jedi.”

Of course, this excuse works for Star Wars because they had three movies of two hours each. That's only six hours of telling Luke's and Vader's story, making us feel involved with it and give each other closure. They cannot afford losing any precious second. In GoT, OTOH, they have ten hours every year to tell their story, hence, the logical conclusion is that they simply feel Bran's storyline is boring. Maybe because no one gets married to Sansa. Or maybe because they can't make it interesting (let's be honest about it: it works in book. In screen, it can be a bit dense if not done properly).

Nevertheless, they are saying they're cutting Bran's training, and we're probably only watching a very bit of it. So, what's the freaking purpose of Bloodraven? :dunno: Because, BR is there to TEACH Bran. Everything mysterious about the guy was already used when he lured Bran to his cave (that sounds sick :lol:). He now plays the mentor, but we won't have any mentoring. And I'm quite sure we're not having anything Blackfyre related (as we don't have Griffs).

And C could be alternatively titled, Scenes where Jaime acted like Jaime. And this would be the only time option C showed up all season.

Very true.

They could just have a "ship" option like fan compilations

For me

All Brienne and Jaime scenes ever

All Arya and Gendry scenes

All Sandor rescuing Sansa scenes

All Jorah looking sad about being friendzoned scenes

Oh and a Where's the Direwolf? game :)

Ok, according to this post, they cut Bran because his training would be... well, not very interesting. Their words:

"Like, it would be far less interesting, after The Empire Strikes Back to have an hour-long movie in between Empire and Return of the Jedi where Luke is training. It’s so much cooler to cut from end of Empire to beginning of Return, where he’s become the Jedi.”

Of course, this excuse works for Star Wars because they had three movies of two hours each. That's only six hours of telling Luke's and Vader's story, making us feel involved with it and give each other closure. They cannot afford losing any precious second. In GoT, OTOH, they have ten hours every year to tell their story, hence, the logical conclusion is that they simply feel Bran's storyline is boring. Maybe because no one gets married to Sansa. Or maybe because they can't make it interesting (let's be honest about it: it works in book. In screen, it can be a bit dense if not done properly).

Nevertheless, they are saying they're cutting Bran's training, and we're probably only watching a very bit of it. So, what's the freaking purpose of Bloodraven? :dunno: Because, BR is there to TEACH Bran. Everything mysterious about the guy was already used when he lured Bran to his cave (that sounds sick :lol:). He now plays the mentor, but we won't have any mentoring. And I'm quite sure we're not having anything Blackfyre related (as we don't have Griffs).

Well its possible BR is there for other reasons. Max plays secret evil guy pretty well, although I don't want to think BR is evil because I love him in the Dunk and Egg books.

Well its possible BR is there for other reasons. Max plays secret evil guy pretty well, although I don't want to think BR is evil because I love him in the Dunk and Egg books.

And that's even scarier: the fact he's given invented storylines.

I mean, BR is there for two reasons: 1) Others lore and 2) give some BF background. He's one of those few rare characters who was involved in both the Real War and the Game of Thrones. As we're not having anything BF related (that I'm aware), we won't have that. And as they have already claiming mostly of Bran's training has happened offscreen, BR will be reduced to "my last advice to you before you leave/do the thing, Bran, is..." or "one more lesson, boy".

I'm not complaining he was cast. I'm complaining that they cast such an important actor for a role they have already reduced and probably, drastically changed, despite his importance in the books. Kinda like Pryce and Sidigg.

Ok, according to this post, they cut Bran because his training would be... well, not very interesting. Their words:

That doesn't even make sense. Luke's training was on screen. He left early because he wanted to help Han and Leia. And then when he returned, Yoda was dying.

Very true.

They could just have a "ship" option like fan compilations

For me
All Brienne and Jaime scenes ever
All Arya and Gendry scenes
All Sandor rescuing Sansa scenes
All Jorah looking sad about being friendzoned scenes

Oh and a Where's the Direwolf? game :)

That would be so cool. I would have to add Dany and Daario scenes, although I wish they'd actually let them have some fun, instead of talking politics all the time.

That doesn't even make sense. Luke's training was on screen. He left early because he wanted to help Han and Leia. And then when he returned, Yoda was dying.

Also, he never actually finished his training :lol:

Now, I confess the first time I watched RotJ, when I was like 12 or 13, I didn't get that part. Also, because Luke looked so different (enter theories of his accident or whatever). I was like "hey, how much time has passed??". And the scene wasn't THAT confusing at all. Now, imagine that same time jump in hands of this two :dunno:

Also, he never actually finished his training :lol:

Now, I confess the first time I watched RotJ, when I was like 12 or 13, I didn't get that part. Also, because Luke looked so different (enter theories of his accident or whatever). I was like "hey, how much time has passed??". And the scene wasn't THAT confusing at all. Now, imagine that same time jump in hands of this two :dunno:

How could they miss that? The training was something else altogether. That was a wee bit too subtle for them, I guess.

How could they miss that? The training was something else altogether. That was a wee bit too subtle for them, I guess.

Yeah, it's not like he had some awesome mega training between the movies. Also, the whole Jedi philosophy didn't just appear out of nothing. We saw Yoda teaching him those things. The only thing we kinda have to "assume" is that he applied all of that for the rescue.

Also, if Luke left Yoda was because he made a choice: stay and learn or go and rescue his friends. IICR, both Obi-Wan and Yoda agreed he wasn't ready. That's kinda a mayor point in the movie: love vs duty. They didn't even cut it because "omg, we have no time!". Luke chose love over becoming a better Jedi, and once he rescued his friends, he returned to keep learning.

Yes, because being a Jedi is about more than fighting with a light saber or levitating a starfighter. They did away with the ideal of the true knight in this story, because honor is stupid and sexual manipulators and psychopaths are awesome. But in other stories, those ideals matter.

That they don't get the subtlety doesn't bode well for the Bloodraven and Bran scenes.

Also, just watched that scene again, here's what Yoda told him when he returned:

"No more training do you require. Already know you that which you need."

That was the whole point of the scenes we saw ON SCREEN.

Haha, great that we now hovered from "D&D failing to understand ASoIaF" to "D&D failing to understand Star Wars". Them not remembering that Luke had in fact a training montage also painfully reminds me of them not remembering Stannis was burning statues of the Dragonstone Sept instead of people in his first scene. If they aren't even paying attention to their own (back then still adapted) writing, how could they possible pay attention to what others do? Like Martin. Or even Lawrence Kasdan in this case.

Gosh, why are the casting calls always so great? Sydow is awesome... and it gives me additional fuel for my personal crackpot theory that the children have their own ambitions in training Bran and these ambitions are not good for mankind. But I hope they give him only one eye this time. It's not like they have any trust into their audience remembering him having two eyes in season 4 because they think their viewers are goldfish, so why not?

Archived