Movies that were better than the books they were based on (Spoilers for movies and books, obviously)

CyanidePie

I think the story of Jurassic Path is one of the best of all time in either medium.

But then again it was the first movie I ever saw, and the first book I ever read. So they hold a special place in my heart. And I will defend the both of them to the death.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is another movie that I think qualifies. There were a lot of deviations from the book, but they were not really needed in the movie, and Cuaron's direction puts it leaps and bounds above the others in the series.

I always hated the Prisoner of Azkaban. One of my favourite books in the HP-series and the choices in the adaptation are so uninspired. The werewolf looked like a roided-out version of an aborted foetus. The design for the dementors was so terribly lame, I have seen hipsters wearing scarier things. Plus, what was up with all the stupid continuity errors. Why were the grounds different than in the first films? Why the fuck where they wearing muggel clothing all the time? Who gave Malfoy that stupid haircut? 

I always hated the Prisoner of Azkaban. One of my favourite books in the HP-series and the choices in the adaptation are so uninspired. The werewolf looked like a roided-out version of an aborted foetus. The design for the dementors was so terribly lame, I have seen hipsters wearing scarier things. Plus, what was up with all the stupid continuity errors. Why were the grounds different than in the first films? Why the fuck where they wearing muggel clothing all the time? Who gave Malfoy that stupid haircut?

Prisoner of Azkaban was probably the worst of the film. Possibly. Arguably HBP could be worse but it's close

Prisoner of Azkaban was probably the worst of the film. Possibly. Arguably HBP could be worse but it's close

In general I felt like the more I liked the book, the less I liked the movie.  Thus my favorite books (3 and 6) were my least favorite movies.  And my least favorite book, Order of the Phoenix, worked a lot better as a movie.  

Hey I'm not gonna defend the movie. But I will my love for the Azkaban movie. I get that a lot of people disliked it, but I loved the style of the world in it.

The first two were great as adaptations of the books, and certainly got the magic of the world across. But something about Azkaban, and hey maybe it's my love of that book over the others, makes me love it. I can continually rewatch it and get something out of it. I can't do that with other films in the series.

A close second is Deathly Hallows Part 1. I really loved the... oh hey this isn't a Hay Potter thread. I'll just be quietly judging you all from my little corner.

I also have a soft spot of Jurassic Park. First 'adult' book I read as my Grandma bought me a copy.

When it comes to the Harry Potter movies I suggest the fifth movie was much better than the book it was based on.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. Imo it is almost impossible to beat the HBP in that particular contest. It was so awful that I haven't even rewatched it since the last time I saw it in theatre. And Order of the Phoenix sucked Testral dick as well.

In general I felt like the more I liked the book, the less I liked the movie.  Thus my favorite books (3 and 6) were my least favorite movies.  And my least favorite book, Order of the Phoenix, worked a lot better as a movie.  

Wow, you are the first person I know that counts book six as one of their favourites. I think the sixth book is probably my least favourite in the entire series :) The adaptation was terrible though. Some of the scenes where just insultingly stupid (the attack on the Nest, the added romantic stuff). Five is one of my favourite books in the series (contest between thee, five and seven), but that movie was horrible as well. Just not as terrible as movie six.

The first two were great as adaptations of the books, and certainly got the magic of the world across.

Jeps, that is why I loved them :)

A close second is Deathly Hallows Part 1. I really loved the... oh hey this isn't a Hay Potter thread. I'll just be quietly judging you all from my little corner.

Deathly Hallows part 1 is  the best film in the franchise.

Once again we differ. It's that movie that really got me into the franchise. Yes, it's not that good of an adaptation, but I liked the darker tone and visuals that Cuaron employed. The first two movies did not impress me much, especially since LOTR had been released in those years, too, so there was no comparison. But it was after seeing Goblet of Fire that I finally picked up the books. Order of the Phoenix is my favorite book, and thus the respective film is the biggest disappointment, though Half-Blood prince is not far behind.

With HBP, the film simply concentrated too much on the wrong plots.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. Imo it is almost impossible to beat the HBP in that particular contest. It was so awful that I haven't even rewatched it since the last time I saw it in theatre. And Order of the Phoenix sucked Testral dick as well.

Wow, you are the first person I know that counts book six as one of their favourites. I think the sixth book is probably my least favourite in the entire series :) The adaptation was terrible though. Some of the scenes where just insultingly stupid (the attack on the Nest, the added romantic stuff). Five is one of my favourite books in the series (contest between thee, five and seven), but that movie was horrible as well. Just not as terrible as movie six.

Deathly Hallows part 1 is  the best film in the franchise.

As adaptations go, I would say yes. And it's probably better than that part of the book. In the book, I hated the trudging through the country-side plot; in the movie it was passable.

With HBP, the film simply concentrated too much on the wrong plots.

That, and the ending doesn't make a lick of sense.  Maybe the director didn't realize it, but having Harry just trust Snape is nearly the most out of character thing you can possibly have him do. 

Trust Snape wrt what exactly?

In the book, Harry is frozen by Dumbledore, and can do nothing to help him.  In the movie, he isn't frozen, and is just told by Dumbledore to hide.  Harry does so, but then he sees Snape arrive, and is very worried about this.  Snape tells him to be quiet and not alert his presence to Dumbledore.  Harry trusts him, and says nothing.  Snape then kills Dumbledore.

I am surprised to see so many fans of Prisoner of Azkaban movie. This and Goblet are my least favourite ones because they are so dark overall.

That said, all HP books are still better than the movies. :read:

I am surprised to see so many fans of Prisoner of Azkaban movie. This and Goblet are my least favourite ones because they are so dark overall.

That said, all HP books are still better than the movies. :read:

Yeah I liked the first one the best. Great kids movie

I like the film quite a bit, and I considered reading the book, but the consensus was the same as your post, so I figured if it was that inferior there was little point.  :laugh:

Exactly. Horrible novel, great movie. Chicken dinner.

Archived