The bed that you sleep on

Fragile Bird

My SO is fine with sleeping on the floor too. As mentioned earlier, his pillows are like rocks anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.

And beds/mattresses are expensive. My mattress cost about £200, which is a lot to lay out in one go, though it was one of the cheaper ones, from a local shop. The one I had before was horrible - it was a super cheap one my mum bought and put in my room while I was away at uni, so it only got used when I visited a few times a year. And still a month after I moved back, the springs were digging into me, threatening to push out the top. Awful mattress.

I actually need some new pillows. I like mine to be soft but not too soft, with some height.

We have a queen sized bed I HATE.  We need to spend the money to get a good bed. I don't move in my sleep at all and I frequently wake up with my hip and shoulder hurting.

I think the problem is it is a firm bed, I need one with that foam stuff on top (I think).  Of course the husband likes firm beds 

Is there a web site that tells you the kind of bed you need based on how you sleep?  That might be helpful too

I had some shitty beds until I found my glorious actual bed. I realised I needed a change when I found that I slept better in a sleeping bag. One of the last ones had some mystic in it though: it was just the mattress over some broken slats on the floor.

My main problem was always the lenght, my feet were cramped against the frame, as I slip down. 

This one is a sommier 2mts long, the mattress has springs and a pillow top incorporated. It has the perfect firmness. I was asked about changing it for a bigger sized bed, but hell I'm changing a winner bed. I stopped having back aches.

About pillows, I have a cervical pillow that often ends up on the floor. I had the idea of buying a memory foam one, but before I made up my mind I was gifted a new one that was just the same kind I already had. I'm not too picky with pillows, but I think the worst kind of pillows are the woolen ones (the same as the mattresses, iirc my grandma had one of those). Woolen pillows are rocks.

I got a memory foam pillow as a present a few years ago. Very pricy, and tbh I hated the chemical smell it had for quite a while, and the fact that it got really uncomfortably warm. I was glad when I was able to dispose of it... A whole foam mattress would be horribly warm I suppose. Not my kind of thing.

That's why you can't flip a mattress anymore.

Even if you *can* flip it, it's not necessary. I do rotate it once a fortnight and flip it at least once a month. The matress seller was flabbergasted when I mentioned it, but idk, it's like a compulsion.

We use a California King mattress that is very comfy. I notice that nice hotels use pillow tops on top of the mattresses. They are wonderful. I use a foam pillow because of neck issues, but I don't like them for the whole mattress. They seem too hard and not loose enough.

We had a horrid queen size mattress until two years ago, until I said enough is enough. Took tax money and got a Tempur Cloud Breeze king size bed. Its.....our own little slice of heaven. It was expensive, but it was worth it without a doubt. Plenty of room when one of the kids sneak into bed. Now, that we have a nice bed, I could never sleep on something of less quality. I get better sleep, and never wake up with any aches and pain.

I tried memory foam (both mattress and pillows) and just couldn't get on with it - I get super hot in bed.

We have a queen size bed with a VERY firm sprung mattress. I have lower back issues so I really need the support of a firm mattress.

However, we have a separate memory foam topper sat on top of it. The first night we slept on this mattress my partner had this 'princess and the pea' experience, where he felt bruised from lying on this really hard surface. We bought the topper the next day and it's been an absolute delight ever since. It's the best of both worlds: excellent support for our backs but also the comfort of the foam on the surface. <3

It seems recently most foam stuff comes with some sort of cooling technology so it might be worth giving it another try for at least the pillow or mattress topper.  

I always have to have a foam or gel pillow.  I will spend a lot of money on it if it's good, because one amazing pillow is a necessity to me.  Right now, my good pillow is this gel foam thing and it was embarrassingly expensive.  It stays cool for several hours and all it needs is for me to lift my head for a second to restart the cool effect.  So for a sleeping person who moves at least a couple times at night, it never gets warm.  

I had been having a real difficult time falling asleep. All my life I've used down pillows, but about a year ago I found Ijust could not fall asleep, and tossed and turned all night. I keep several pillows of various firmness on my bed, and nothing, but nothing, helped. A few months ago I was watching The Shopping Channel shilling a kind of foam pillow. I had purchased a foam pillow at Costco once, and the stench of the plastic was so repulsive I had to bring it back, so I didn't bite.

But a few weeks later I was in Costco and they had a different type of memory foam pillow, and I thought, what the heck, and bought it. It's way too hard, but all of a sudden I found I was falling asleep for at least a couple of hours using the pillow, so I've kept it. It's not perfect, and often I'll switch pillows around, but at least I get some sleep now.

I had an old double (full) sized mattress that I slept on for years. It was very firm but worked fine for me in my early twenties. When SO and I moved in together we continued to use it until all of a sudden we both were waking up with near crippling back pain. We bit the bullet and spent the money on a queen sized pocket coil, memory foam pillow top mattress and got down pillows as well. HUGE difference for both of us. We sleep better, rarely have any back pain etc. So worth the money spent.

Edit to add the size of the mattress

I swear by a Sleep Number Bed (have a Cal King).  My inlaws have the same one as well (father in law has major back issues). 

I tried a few different mattresses (and sleep at a lot of hotels), and would say I like beds at the Westin (hate marriott and ritz). Temperpedic seemed a little too warm and I never really got comfortable on them since I felt like I was sleeping in a dent (which I guess I am). 

What I liked most about the sleep number is that my wife and I can set different firmness levels. I like soft, she likes hard, and both of us were pretty miserable sleeping in the others' bed when we were dating. So it was our first purchase together nearly 11 years ago, and it's still working great.  The other benefit is if you need to change the firmness ever (in laws visiting or when I injured my back), you can change the firmness around in a few seconds, where as on a traditional bed you also get a shittier bed over time. 

Archived