Star Wars Episode VII: The Fourth Awakens

Rhom

If that's the case I hope they haven't created that character solely for the sake of having a love interest. Probably not but Padmé felt that way sometimes to me (she felt much less vital to the story than Leia did, especially in episode 3, which contained like 70% of the story of the prequel trilogy, and all she does is have Luke and Leia. IMO at least).

Interesting that they state she's a lead though. SW has always sticked with the same three leads for each trilogy (unless you count Qui-Gon as a lead).

I wouldn't say so - Personally I'd consider Obi-Wan more of a lead in Episode IV than Leia.

Which would actually make the two trilogies match up - with the wise old Jedi lead dying in each of the first movies to be replaced by the female lead for the next two.

It depends how you categorise the lead actors though. 

I wouldn't say so - Personally I'd consider Obi-Wan more of a lead in Episode IV than Leia.

Which would actually make the two trilogies match up - with the wise old Jedi lead dying in each of the first movies to be replaced by the female lead for the next two.

It depends how you categorise the lead actors though.

You have a point, though I always saw Obi-Wan as more of an extension of Luke's storyline.

In any case, character-wise this trilogy is looking overcrowded as is. I think we easily have twice as many important characters as ANH did. Which is another reason I was wondering about the possibility of another lead.
In ANH we had the big three, two droids, Chewie, Obi-Wan, Vader and Tarkin in starring roles. Supporting cast, say, Biggs, Wedge, Owen, Beru.
In TFA, the old big three, the NEW big three, three droids, Chewie, and three big villains, not counting Snoke. Supporting cast is as big as ANH's but I won't mention them since some names are considered spoilers.
Add ANOTHER lead, and you're looking at a very crowded movie.

Right I'm only 38 years late asking this: but what exactly happened to Obi Wan in aNH? Did he die because he got struck by the lightsabre and then become a force ghost? Because it doesn't look like he was hit properly, it's almost like he commited force suicide. Yoda vanishes as well, but why does no one else? Vader doesn't and he's meant to have become one with the force too.

Right I'm only 38 years late asking this: but what exactly happened to Obi Wan in aNH? Did he die because he got struck by the lightsabre and then become a force ghost? Because it doesn't look like he was hit properly, it's almost like he commited force suicide. Yoda vanishes as well, but why does no one else? Vader doesn't and he's meant to have become one with the force too.

According to Ep 3 it's a specially learned force skill.

Maybe it's because Obi-wan dragged Vader into ghostdom unlike Yoda and Obi-wan who did it on purpose.

He let Vader strike him down, and in death used a Force skill taught to him by Qui-Gon to become a Force ghost. The quote 'If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine' is a reference to this.

He let Vader strike him down, and in death used a Force skill taught to him by Qui-Gon to become a Force ghost. The quote 'If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine' is a reference to this.

What exactly did he achieve as a Force ghost though? He told Luke to use the force when targeting the deathstar... what else? He couldn't have possibly known he could achieve more than being an actual Jedi Master running around.

Also was watching bits of RotJ, and saw the bit where the MF's radar dish was knocked off. Such a casual. :blushing:

Whether Vader disappeared or not is not clear, because his suit would not fold so easily, but he probably didn't disappear. Still he probably went Qui-Gon's way and thus became a Force ghost.

Qui-Gon's and Vader's deaths suggest that, hey there is a soul, and that soul can learn to communicate with living people through the Force. Yoda's and Obi-wan's suggest that, just as episode III shows, this is a skill that any Jedi can learn and be prepared to use it. But Obi-wan's final words to Vader may tell us what really happened "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine". So Obi-wan was prepared to die and join with the Force, but it still required Vader to kill his body. Yoda's body was failing due to age, and sickness, so in the same manner, he was able to let go of it.

Edit: Partially ninja'd by First of My Name.

What exactly did he achieve as a Force ghost though? He told Luke to use the force when targeting the deathstar... what else? He couldn't have possibly known he could achieve more than being an actual Jedi Master running around.

I think that's partly what they demonstrate with Yoda in Jedi. Even (arguably) the greatest Jedi who ever lived gets old, becomes too frail to fight, and dies. Obi-Wan knows he can no longer defeat Vader, and that if he runs and Vader pursues, then Vader would be able to stop the Falcon fleeing and all would be lost. By sacrificing himself, he lives forever and is seemingly able to appear to Luke (and potentially others,) whenever or wherever he wants - intervening to show Luke how to destroy the Death Star and sending him to Yoda. He also has nothing really to gain by fighting Vader any longer. Why postpone the inevitable when you can die at peace with the universe?

It's also possible that Obi-Wan was only able to let go of his worldly attachments and his history with Vader by surrendering himself to the will of the Force, whereas Yoda is so knowledgeable in the Force that while he can't live forever, he can just release all of his attachments without any external factors.

All fun speculation though! :lol:

You have a point, though I always saw Obi-Wan as more of an extension of Luke's storyline.

In any case, character-wise this trilogy is looking overcrowded as is. I think we easily have twice as many important characters as ANH did. Which is another reason I was wondering about the possibility of another lead.
In ANH we had the big three, two droids, Chewie, Obi-Wan, Vader and Tarkin in starring roles. Supporting cast, say, Biggs, Wedge, Owen, Beru.
In TFA, the old big three, the NEW big three, three droids, Chewie, and three big villains, not counting Snoke. Supporting cast is as big as ANH's but I won't mention them since some names are considered spoilers.
Add ANOTHER lead, and you're looking at a very crowded movie.

You say it looks overcrowded, but really look at the history of Star Wars. I really expect Gwendoline Christy to be another Boba Fett. Big build up, but ultimately stands in the corner looking cool and says three lines. Biggs Darklighter is a legend in the Star Wars continuity... but he said hello to Luke and then died on a trench run five minutes later.

Star Wars is full of characters who are named and even get action figures and their own novel in the now defunct EU. I think many of these characters we are seeing announced may wind up being much the same.

Yeah, but I think I'm picking up the remote controlled BB-8 for myself. Screw the kids! :)

ETA: This a must get toy for people with cats. Laser pointer is so last century. :lol:

ETA 2: Changed link to actual site. It's going to be $150... damn...

You say it looks overcrowded, but really look at the history of Star Wars. I really expect Gwendoline Christy to be another Boba Fett. Big build up, but ultimately stands in the corner looking cool and says three lines. Biggs Darklighter is a legend in the Star Wars continuity... but he said hello to Luke and then died on a trench run five minutes later.

Star Wars is full of characters who are named and even get action figures and their own novel in the now defunct EU. I think many of these characters we are seeing announced may wind up being much the same.

That doesn't take away from the fact that there are at least twice as many characters to use this time. And they can't all have roles like Biggs.

That doesn't take away from the fact that there are at least twice as many characters to use this time. And they can't all have roles like Biggs.

Why not?

Jimmy Smits was a huge name when he was cast as "huge" character Bail Organa... And I'd be hard pressed to say that he did much more than Biggs or OT Boba Fett.

Ki-Adi Mundi and Plo Koon were named Jedi Masters on the council, one spoke briefly and then they both died two movies later.

Do you know how many "named" characters I had as figures? What did most of them do in the movies? Stand in the background.

I give you:

-The four Cantina patrons: Greedo (actually had lines), Snaggletooth, Hammerhead, and Walrusman (who had a real name, but don't know;don't care) did grunt and lose an arm

-Lobot

-Bounty Hunters: IG-88, Bossk, Dengar, 4-Lom, and Zuckuss

-General Veers

-Mon Motha

-Jabba henchmen: Bib Fortuna, Yakface, Neeku, Rancor Master, Max Reebo and the Band!

-Nameless Soldiers/Guards: Bespin guards, rebel snow and forest troopers, Gamorean Guards, and the variety of Stormtroopers and imperial officers.

And yes, I remember ALL the names here. :) Weep for me....

Those are all background characters. Do you really think Leia, for instance, should have the same amount of screentime as Bib Fortuna or Bail Organa? Do you Kylo Ren should only stand in the background too? When I listed TFA characters I only included the important ones, the main characters, the ones who should have a decent amount of screentime. I'm not talking about random background dude #3, of course I don't care whether he does anything important. What I mean is that screentime has to be divided among twice as many IMPORTANT characters as there were previously, which means that some of them will have be to be delegated to smaller roles, like Threepio in E3.

But we don't know how much screen time any of them will have.

Leia might be a background character here, a glorified cameo. Luke might only show up in the end. Han may die in act one in the role of the mentor who has to die for the hero to grow. We don't know. Threepio could be hanging back at the base the whole time (given Tony Daniels' age, this is a probable reality). Artoo is probably off with Luke chillin' his beer.

ANY of the new "important" figures could be background characters in the end.

I agree with Rhom: Captain Phasma could be the new Boba Fett (hyped pre-movie to have a pretty small role). Kylo Ren could have as much screen time as Darth Maul. 

Except for Rey and Finn and BB-8, and Solo at least initially, I don't expect much screen time from the others.

Don't fret about the number of characters. This is Star Wars. More characters on screen equals more toys, not more character arcs.

Archived