Star Wars Episode VII: The Fourth Awakens

Rhom

I track the change in my social life by who I went to see the prequel trilogy with:

I went to see TPM with about 20 fraternity brothers at a midnight showing on opening night.

I went to see AotC with about 6 classmates from chiropractic school at a matinee on opening day.

I went to see RotS with my dad about a week after it opened. :lol:

I went to see the special editions with my nephew each time on opening day/weekend

I saw TPM with my mom and dad at midnight opening night, same with AOTC

I saw ROTS with my mom at a matinee about a week after it opened.

:cheers:

Going back to the OT, I saw SW with my parents in 1980, I saw ROTJ with my good friend in 1984. Never got to see ESB in theaters first time around, but same friend I saw ROTJ with spoilered me completely on it before I got to see it on Betamax.

But now my dad is 87 and he hates sci-fi I don't think he can handle another Star Wars. I'd see it on my own but I don't drive.

I track the change in my social life by who I went to see the prequel trilogy with:

I went to see TPM with about 20 fraternity brothers at a midnight showing on opening night.

I went to see AotC with about 6 classmates from chiropractic school at a matinee on opening day.

I went to see RotS with my dad about a week after it opened. :lol:

:lol:

Let's see...

TPM with my wife, brother, sister, and parents.

AotC with my wife and about 5 guys from work ("long lunch")

RotS with my wife

She's such a good sport. :)

Now we have 2 boys (7 & 9), so it'll be up to 4 again this December. We're all excited. Mostly me.

ETA: Just realized it's been 10 years since RotS.

It's opening in the United Arab Emirates on December 15th, apparently part of a deal as they did some location shooting there.

Gee, I can't think of any other country else where they did some location shooting, which is only getting it on the 17th. :lol: Honestly though, I'm just glad it's not coming later.

io9 has pulled together all of the "new canon" sources to put together a pretty good account of what happened after Return of the Jedi and it's...erm...pretty similar to the old EU.

Weird.

Oh, and the good news is that (apparently) all of the Knights of the Old Republic stuff is still canon.

I guess the main reason the EU was cut was to give more freedom to the guys writing the new stuff, and make it less confusing. But the EU stuff right after RotJ was some of the best, so it's good to see them tacking to a similar line. 

ETA: Uh, that should read, less confusing.

Well, after that terrific, marvelous prequel triology by George Lucas, the big question for me remains:

Can Mickey Mouse make a better Star Wars movie than George Lucas?

And secondly, what will be the new Ewoks/Jar Jar. There must be something equally annoying. 

Well, after that terrific, marvelous prequel triology by George Lucas, the big question for me remains:

Can Mickey Mouse make a better Star Wars movie than George Lucas?

And secondly, what will be the new Ewoks/Jar Jar. There must be something equally annoying.

The super cute toy of the moment seems to be BB-8. You can get a version that you control with an app on your smart phone.

If that's as bad as it gets, I think we should all consider ourselves lucky.

It's opening in the United Arab Emirates on December 15th, apparently part of a deal as they did some location shooting there.

io9 has pulled together all of the "new canon" sources to put together a pretty good account of what happened after Return of the Jedi and it's...erm...pretty similar to the old EU.

Weird.

Oh, and the good news is that (apparently) all of the Knights of the Old Republic stuff is still canon.

Good stuff there Wert. Thanks!

In the comments that follow, a couple of posters say that a major EU villain is hinted at in the closing scenes of Aftermath. Can anyone here enlighten me?

[spoiler]Is it Thrawn? If Supreme Commander Snoke just turns out to be a feint to hide the identity of our favorite blue skinned bad ass, I would totally forgive Abrams for what he did to Kahn.[/spoiler]

Good stuff there Wert. Thanks!

In the comments that follow, a couple of posters say that a major EU villain is hinted at in the closing scenes of Aftermath. Can anyone here enlighten me?

[spoiler] No physical description of him, but how he was written made me think the same thing. [/spoiler]

Star Wars (as it was known then - none of this newfangled "A New Hope" rubbish): my parents took my brothers and I to see as very young kids - it was our first ever movie we saw at the cinema.

ESB & ROTJ I watched with my brothers (as slightly older kids).

The prequels were with one of my brothers and a good friend - this time as adults.

Force Awakens - I'll actually be visiting my brother in Melbourne over Christmas from the 19th. My wife and I will probably be going with him and his wife on the 20th. But... can I wait three whole days?  :eek:  I was (half) joking to my wife yesterday that we'll go to the midnight screening on the 17th (which we'd have to keep very quiet or my brother will kill us), then again with my brother on the 20th. And then after we return home post Christmas/new year we might pop down to Sydney to see it again in iMax. :)

On a side note, I've noticed over the past week or two that my excitement level has ratcheted up to stratospheric levels. And I'm over 40, for f*ck sake!  :blushing:  I mentioned as much to my wife last weekend while we were out. And when we got home, she finally relented to watching ESB and ROTJ, which she'd never seen and I'd been pressuring her about for a while (we watched "A New Hope" a month or two earlier and I'd been prssuring her to watch the next two - she'd been resisting, but said she'd watch them before Episode 7 came out).

Star Wars (as it was known then - none of this newfangled "A New Hope" rubbish): my parents took my brothers and I to see as very young kids - it was our first ever movie we saw at the cinema.

ESB & ROTJ I watched with my brothers (as slightly older kids).

The prequels were with one of my brothers and a good friend - this time as adults.

Force Awakens - I'll actually be visiting my brother in Melbourne over Christmas from the 19th. My wife and I will probably be going with him and his wife on the 20th. But... can I wait three whole days?  :eek:  I was (half) joking to my wife yesterday that we'll go to the midnight screening on the 17th (which we'd have to keep very quiet or my brother will kill us), then again with my brother on the 20th. And then after we return home post Christmas/new year we might pop down to Sydney to see it again in iMax. :)

On a side note, I've noticed over the past week or two that my excitement level has ratcheted up to stratospheric levels. And I'm over 40, for f*ck sake!  :blushing:  I mentioned as much to my wife last weekend while we were out. And when we got home, she finally relented to watching ESB and ROTJ, which she'd never seen and I'd been pressuring her about for a while (we watched "A New Hope" a month or two earlier and I'd been prssuring her to watch the next two - she'd been resisting, but said she'd watch them before Episode 7 came out).

Wasn't a New Hope the later added title for Episode 4, the very first (original) Star Wars movie. 

Let's see if I can get the titles together.

Prequels:

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones (?)

Revenge of the Sith

Original Triology:

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Sequel

The Force Awakens

TBA

TBA

Wasn't a New Hope the later added title for Episode 4, the very first (original) Star Wars movie. 

Yep, precisely. When I was a kid, it was only ever called "Star Wars" and that's still how I think of it to this day. The "A New Hope" title is the "newfangled" one that came along later.

The toys for Tfa kick ass. Particularly the Legos and blade builder stuff. The bb8 will be here soonish, and it looks amazing.

I think the black X-Wing Lego set is bad ass.

Yeah......lucky for me my 8 year old son is a Lego nut :)

My son turns five next week. (Getting Infinity 3.0.)

He loves Legos, but more often than not we make the figures and he goes and plays while I build General Grievous' wheel bike. (Not all bad.). :lol:

We do have sometimes though where it's a good learning experience where I find all the bricks for a step and then I have him compare pictures and show me where they go.

I saw the new Millenium Falcon set at Target the other day, was weird to see it come with characters other than Han and Chewie. (It does come with a gray haired Han! But has other new trilogy characters too.)

Has anyone else seen the walmart star wars commercial? I was trying to play some tunes to calm down on youtube and this great commercial about parents talking star wars with their kids came on. IT WAS AWESOME!!! And I never like commercials, but I was clapping by the end. I'm not sure how to find commercials on the interwebz or I'd post it, but I'm telling you this is one of the best advertisements I've ever seen.

Archived