Star Wars Episode VII: The Fourth Awakens

Rhom

Yeah, but I think I'm picking up the remote controlled BB-8 for myself. Screw the kids! :)

ETA: This a must get toy for people with cats. Laser pointer is so last century. :lol:

ETA 2: Changed link to actual site. It's going to be $150... damn...

You'll be grateful you paid the $150 when your X-Wing takes damage and you need someone to stabilise the engines.

You'll be grateful you paid the $150 when your X-Wing takes damage and you need someone to stabilise the engines.

Or if I'm stuck in traffic and my radio antenna goes out. Then I could send out BB-8 through the sunroof to fix it!

Yeah! My wife will buy that reason!

/breaks out credit card to purchase! 

Was in Hallmark picking up a card and noticed they had Christmas ornaments out already. (In the middle of a heat wave...)

I went to look at them to see if any of the new StarWars was featured. Closest was Zeb Orrelius from Rebels. Others were a Y Wing and Luke upside down with Yoda on his foot.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/03/the-secrecy-has-been-ludicrous-star-wars-actor-anthony-daniels-on-the-new-film-and-his-life-as-c-3po

“George has changed a lot over the years but I think he finds it slightly hard to collaborate,” Daniels observes. “He made decisions that I believe might have been better discussed with other people." 

Very diplomatically put. :lol:

I just ran across this little video this morning about the launch of the new Star Wars toys. 

http://ktla.com/2015/09/03/star-wars-the-force-awakens-merchandise-to-hit-stores-on-force-friday/

The news that hit me was that they are projecting $5 billion dollars worth of merchandise sells this year. Episode VII alone may very well pay for half of Disney's $4 billion purchase of this franchise. 

$4 billion for Lucasfilm (and the rest) was a bargain.

Disney benefited from having a long relationship with Lucas and the fact he didn't need the money. If I recall, he donated all the proceeds to charity.

I downloaded a sample of the new book Star Wars: Aftermath. The prose is terrible, I don't like the present tense narration; probably written for readers ages 6 and up. But I'm too curious about the story so I think I'll buy it. "Only" $14 in the Kindle store.

Disney benefited from having a long relationship with Lucas and the fact he didn't need the money. If I recall, he donated all the proceeds to charity.

Yep, that one act alone almost made up for Jar Jar....almost.

Agreed. I've also heard it rumoured that Lucas basically refused to consider selling it to anyone else anyway.

That, or Bob Iger left a  horse head in Lucas' bed... not inconceivable given that this guy has acquired Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars in his tenure. :lol:

I downloaded a sample of the new book Star Wars: Aftermath. The prose is terrible, I don't like the present tense narration; probably written for readers ages 6 and up. But I'm too curious about the story so I think I'll buy it. "Only" $14 in the Kindle store.

It ain't no Heir to the Empire, that's for sure. But then it is really just secondary marketing fluff. The real problem is that I was actually going to read Chuck Wendig's own stuff based on his internet interactions, but the terrible, terrible prose of Aftermath has completely put me off. Has anyone read his own stuff and found it better?

I tried reading the free sample too - utter garbage. Not sure I could make it all the way through the book so I'm going to save my money.

Originally, yes. 1979 I think? But by the early/mid '80s it was sold off and Disney was one of the investors, IIRC.

Sold to Steve Jobs, who later sold it to Disney and Pixar took creative control. Then Disney bought Lucasfilm.

The circle is now complete. When last they shared a corporate flag, Pixar was but a learner, but not it is the master.

I didn't know that's what Lucas did with the money. My estimation of the man has gone up significantly - that's a lot of money to give to charity irrespective of how much you have. Hope it was all put to good use!

I didn't know that's what Lucas did with the money. My estimation of the man has gone up significantly - that's a lot of money to give to charity irrespective of how much you have. Hope it was all put to good use!

Yeah, I didn't know that either and I feel bad about some of the things I've called the man. I still loathe him for almost destroying Star Wars, but that's a fantastic thing to do. It also kinda matters to me that I didn't know he did that. There's a forbes article I was just looking at that explains he gave it to schools no less, but the fact that he didn't make a big deal out of it even further heightens my respect for the act.

Yeah, I didn't know that either and I feel bad about some of the things I've called the man. I still loathe him for almost destroying Star Wars, but that's a fantastic thing to do. It also kinda matters to me that I didn't know he did that. There's a forbes article I was just looking at that explains he gave it to schools no less, but the fact that he didn't make a big deal out of it even further heightens my respect for the act.

I think that by most accounts Lucas is a good guy... he just really needs people around him to tell him no. That's really the story of the Prequels, I'd say. It's also worth noting that (IIRC) according to Spielberg, Indiana Jones 4 was basically Lucas' big idea too, except he wanted to call it "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars."

Archived