Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

12 hours ago, briantw said:

I'm still kind of curious as to why they wouldn't use Daredevil in the Civil War movie.  Seems like a no brainer way to include another hero and also promote the Netflix shows.

It does but not when there are pissing contests between the people in charge of the movie and TV divisions. Both parties can share some of the blame in that the TV guy (who also owns the comics) has a history of pettiness but Feige generally seems uninterested in the TV aspect (which is possibly understandable given the number of films on his plate). In an ideal world they'd run both divisions more tightly, perhaps with an intermediary figure who ensures connectivity.

Star wars seems to be doing ok with film and TV (arguably comics/books too) at the moment. They have perhaps wisely made sure that the TV show is in its own era from the films. That will change with Rogue One. My gut feeling is that it will actually be similar to Marvel in the sense it's a one way street of Films don't reference the TV but TV can reference the Films.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

It does but not when there are pissing contests between the people in charge of the movie and TV divisions. Both parties can share some of the blame in that the TV guy (who also owns the comics) has a history of pettiness but Feige generally seems uninterested in the TV aspect (which is possibly understandable given the number of films on his plate). In an ideal world they'd run both divisions more tightly, perhaps with an intermediary figure who ensures connectivity.

Star wars seems to be doing ok with film and TV (arguably comics/books too) at the moment. They have perhaps wisely made sure that the TV show is in its own era from the films. That will change with Rogue One. My gut feeling is that it will actually be similar to Marvel in the sense it's a one way street of Films don't reference the TV but TV can reference the Films.

Star Wars benefits from not having all the timelines overlapping, as you said.  It would be a bit trickier for Marvel, but honestly you could toss Daredevil into the Civil War movie and barely mention it on the show since it was kind of its own event.  It just seems strange to leave him out, really, given that he's like the only other costumed superhero running around that we know of that isn't involved.

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

Star Wars benefits from not having all the timelines overlapping, as you said.  It would be a bit trickier for Marvel, but honestly you could toss Daredevil into the Civil War movie and barely mention it on the show since it was kind of its own event.  It just seems strange to leave him out, really, given that he's like the only other costumed superhero running around that we know of that isn't involved.

No doubt about it that it's crazy to leave him out but the reality is that the TV and films are separate (despite being in the same world). The film should have at least had a montage of the likes of Daredevil, Jessica Jones and the other netflixers on the run/being caught and I guess it would be even nicer for AOS to be there capturing them. But it's even clearer of the division when it comes down to AOS and that show started out prior to the division between TV and film.

I'm going to be curious to see how the netflix shows handle the film. I'm confident AOS will reflect it but unless the film ends with a magic "it's all back to normal" how do the netflix shows not acknowledge it? Surely costumed vigilantes would be one of the main targets when it comes to reigning them in or are they going to go with the weak-ass "urban-legend" excuse where people don't know that Daredevil and JJ exist?

40 minutes ago, red snow said:

No doubt about it that it's crazy to leave him out but the reality is that the TV and films are separate (despite being in the same world). The film should have at least had a montage of the likes of Daredevil, Jessica Jones and the other netflixers on the run/being caught and I guess it would be even nicer for AOS to be there capturing them. But it's even clearer of the division when it comes down to AOS and that show started out prior to the division between TV and film.

I'm going to be curious to see how the netflix shows handle the film. I'm confident AOS will reflect it but unless the film ends with a magic "it's all back to normal" how do the netflix shows not acknowledge it? Surely costumed vigilantes would be one of the main targets when it comes to reigning them in or are they going to go with the weak-ass "urban-legend" excuse where people don't know that Daredevil and JJ exist?

If Civil War is primarily just about the accountability of the Avengers, rather than the Inhumans and the other masked vigilantes, then it kind of makes sense that a few smaller heroes manage to slip through the cracks. Plus there were already hints in DD season 2 that they were starting to crack down on heroes - Foggy's ex mentioned that Jessica Jones was on a watchlist of some sort. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I totally agree but I also think there are other reasons to this ongoing separation. Simply, the logistics of it is a bitch. First, Marvel has several movie series that need to be tied - IM, Thor, CA, AntMan, Avengers, Guardians. That's a lot of movies. Expecting people will watch each one of them is a leap of faith they are ready to have. But, expecting of the audience to keep up with three, four, five etc TV shows is a bit too much. I guess that some balance had to be found, but we are all smarter than to expect RDJ roaming around the AoS. 

On the other hand, I can't see the reason why secondary movie characters are not included in AoS. I mean Maria Hill, Shannon Carter can be a solid bridge between two fractions, as the actresses portraying them most certainly are not above being on TV. Is Scarlett, Ruffalo or Evans don't want to be on Netflix and/or ABC, get someone who can. Don Cheadle is also on TV, right (I mean, outside the MCU)? Do we consider Paul Rudd movie star who can't find time for TV? I mean, there are so many ways this can work, and I feel that beside the problems in logistics, it does feel as the pissing contest. As if Feige doesn't even want to share people who are part of his division but not above TV pay grade and as if TV section expects to RDJ, Scarkett, Evans, Ruffallo etc on speed dial. 

in a recent episode of Agents of Shield, someone is watching television and the bar of script that runs beneath the news reader says something along the lines of "ongoing crime wave in New York" which is a subtle nod to Daredevil.

I think crossovers don't have to be big: just a shot of Sky/Daisy Johnson at a computer screen while Captain America does something heroic in the foreground.

in a recent episode of Agents of Shield, someone is watching television and the bar of script that runs beneath the news reader says something along the lines of "ongoing crime wave in New York" which is a subtle nod to Daredevil.

I think crossovers don't have to be big: just a shot of Sky/Daisy Johnson at a computer screen while Captain America does something heroic in the foreground.

There was a very loose Daredevil season 2 tie in with AOS as well. That biker gang was the same one from an early AOS episode with an Asgardian causing trouble.

I do think Civil War will have a big impact on the Netflix shows. That DA or whatever she was had some plan to go after vigilantes, including Jessica Jones as was mentioned. While she was killed, it seems a clear tip off that the shows are going to look how authorities respond to the increasing numbers of vigilantes and superpowers. Things like the Kilgrave affair and ninjas sprouting all over may also increase the heat on vigilantes in NY, even if it isn't their fault.

6 hours ago, protar said:

If Civil War is primarily just about the accountability of the Avengers, rather than the Inhumans and the other masked vigilantes, then it kind of makes sense that a few smaller heroes manage to slip through the cracks. Plus there were already hints in DD season 2 that they were starting to crack down on heroes - Foggy's ex mentioned that Jessica Jones was on a watchlist of some sort. 

This could circumvent things and could just be us comic fans overinterpreting the source material. I should have learned after age of ultron that often there is very little in common besides the name.

5 hours ago, Risto said:

I totally agree but I also think there are other reasons to this ongoing separation. Simply, the logistics of it is a bitch. First, Marvel has several movie series that need to be tied - IM, Thor, CA, AntMan, Avengers, Guardians. That's a lot of movies. Expecting people will watch each one of them is a leap of faith they are ready to have. But, expecting of the audience to keep up with three, four, five etc TV shows is a bit too much. I guess that some balance had to be found, but we are all smarter than to expect RDJ roaming around the AoS. 

Sam Jackson has turned up a few times on AOS too.

Like I said, I don't expect Feige to know everything that's going on in TV too. It's why I think it would be a good idea to have someone as go-between in TV and film to ensure there aren't any conflicts of interest or that they simply know what every one is doing. I keep wondering if the Inhumans film will even feature the same Inhumans as on TV. If they don't it all looks a bit awkward (although I'd much rather see the Inhuman Royal family on the big screen anyhow).

The other thing TV and film needs to be on the same page for is the magic. Dr Strange is going to introduce magic for probably the first time in the MCU (up until now it's mainly being advanced tech as magic). They may stick with this but I hope they don't. Daredevil and Iron Fist both seem to be dipping into magic too. I hope there's a consistent rule book between TV and film for magic.

As far as I know they can get SLJ on Agents of SHIELD because he's a huge nerd, god love him and he's willing to do his cameos on the cheap. He asked to be on SHIELD. RDJ on the other hand is Hollywood's biggest paying star with a huge ego. Obviously it's near impossible to get the big stars on. Of the current Avengers I'd say Hawkeye is the best bet to appear on TV - Renner has said he'd be down for a Hawkeye TV show, so why not a TV cameo at the very least.

Personally I'm fine with the TV shows not massively impacting the films so long as the two don't outright contradict one another. That's just how it's got to be given the logistics of it. I think so long as Agents of SHIELD has a really good Civil War tie in, on par with what we got for Winter Soldier, that will be enough to keep the two mediums feeling connected. Really want to see a SHIELD/Netflix crossover though. Not even the main cast necessarily, just have SHIELD pop up. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Sam Jackson has turned up a few times on AOS too.

Like I said, I don't expect Feige to know everything that's going on in TV too. It's why I think it would be a good idea to have someone as go-between in TV and film to ensure there aren't any conflicts of interest or that they simply know what every one is doing. I keep wondering if the Inhumans film will even feature the same Inhumans as on TV. If they don't it all looks a bit awkward (although I'd much rather see the Inhuman Royal family on the big screen anyhow).

The other thing TV and film needs to be on the same page for is the magic. Dr Strange is going to introduce magic for probably the first time in the MCU (up until now it's mainly being advanced tech as magic). They may stick with this but I hope they don't. Daredevil and Iron Fist both seem to be dipping into magic too. I hope there's a consistent rule book between TV and film for magic.

I agree that they need intermediary, someone to check everything just to make they are creating cohesive universe. But, my biggest issue is the question of Inhumans. If they get entirely different origin story, then it will be a complete disaster. I feel like we are already walking on the edge of two separate universes with Whedon admitting that in MCU, Coulson is dead. 

Feige doesn't have to know every detail, but if he is doing Inhumans movie, than for cry loud sake, there should be someone from TV section as at least consultant. Unless, they of course, make entirely different story.

The consistency is what they should seriously worry, because as it grows, with new shows, there are some new rules. I am still not certain in which category to put Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, Inhumans or something else? 

9 minutes ago, protar said:

Personally I'm fine with the TV shows not massively impacting the films so long as the two don't outright contradict one another.

I agree, but I do think they are moving directly towards it and it feels as unstoppable train.

I'm pretty sure that Fiege has got to know what's going on with the Inhumans on the TV show. I mean SHIELD has basically not been allowed to use any major marvel characters so the fact that they where allowed to use the Inhumans strikes me as a deliberate "throw the TV show a bone," thing. I don't see why the Inhumans movie would contradict the TV origins - it will just be the Royal Inhumans rather than the randomly activated civilians. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Terrigen Bomb pop up in Infinity War which will be the main explanation for random Inhumans popping up everywhere in the movies, rather than the Fish Oil stuff. 

Whedon didn't precisely say that Coulson was dead did he? Just that he's probably not going to return to the movies, so he may as well be. That's not quite the same (plus Whedon has basically left the MCU so what does he know?).

Whedon said, in his mind and for his purposes, Coulson is considered dead in the movies. This the Whedon who isn't directing Marvel movies anymore. This isn't a Marvel Studios mandate. Whedon said he felt like it would hijack the movies too much, as you'd have to explain why Coulson was back, among other reasons. So, basically, the movies can use Coulson if they wanted. It's just a question of will the movies ever want to. The movies are varsity. They'll always treat the shows as JV. I don't see the movies and TV divisions ever divorcing because people still love the idea of a shared universe, even if it's never used. I think we'll just always have to deal with the movies pretending the shows don't exist and the shows always dropping the occasional Easter egg about something which occurred in a movie.

I think, in order for the shows to ever get any movie love, they'll have to find a major ratings smash, on the level of an NCIS. The movies will never want to engage the shows unless the shows have a massive following.

On 10/04/2016 at 10:08 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

Whedon said, in his mind and for his purposes, Coulson is considered dead in the movies. This the Whedon who isn't directing Marvel movies anymore. This isn't a Marvel Studios mandate. Whedon said he felt like it would hijack the movies too much, as you'd have to explain why Coulson was back, among other reasons. So, basically, the movies can use Coulson if they wanted. It's just a question of will the movies ever want to. The movies are varsity. They'll always treat the shows as JV. I don't see the movies and TV divisions ever divorcing because people still love the idea of a shared universe, even if it's never used. I think we'll just always have to deal with the movies pretending the shows don't exist and the shows always dropping the occasional Easter egg about something which occurred in a movie.

I think, in order for the shows to ever get any movie love, they'll have to find a major ratings smash, on the level of an NCIS. The movies will never want to engage the shows unless the shows have a massive following.

Or GOT level of success/buzz. If everyone is talking about their show then they may let it play with the movies. Although the big shows are on netflix and they generate buzz for about the same amount of time that a film does (with probably less preamble hype). If a Marvel saturates popular media on a GOT or Walking Dead level the films would be interested.

Archived