Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

I'm on episode 5. So far: so good. Definitely as good as season 1, although tangibly different. Well cast secondary and tertiary characters. Lots of good action, but yet to have my mind blown (although maybe I'm an action snob now). 

I thought episode three had some cool action.  Not mind-blowing, maybe, but it was a lot of fun.

I have just finished episode 3 and I can say it is amazing. The pace is much different but I think that things are laid out differently which makes more sense for the change of pace. Simply, different villains, different approaches, different pace. The trifecta of secondary characters, especially Karen and Foggy are basically 1.01 in how to do secondary characters in this type of show. Overall, so far, it was excellent.

Season 2 are usually make it or break it, and DD is doing just fine. More than fine, actually.

3 minutes ago, Risto said:

I have just finished episode 3 and I can say it is amazing. The pace is much different but I think that things are laid out differently which makes more sense for the change of pace. Simply, different villains, different approaches, different pace. The trifecta of secondary characters, especially Karen and Foggy are basically 1.01 in how to do secondary characters in this type of show. Overall, so far, it was excellent.

Season 2 are usually make it or break it, and DD is doing just fine. More than fine, actually.

I think it's faster paced simply because they didn't have to spend so much time setting up the characters.  Season one was, obviously, an origin story, especially early on.  Season two doesn't have to set any of that up, and instead can head straight into the main plot (or at least one of the two main plots).  It doesn't have to waste time introducing the secondary characters of Foggy and Karen, either.  We already know them and their relationship with Matt.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I think it's faster paced simply because they didn't have to spend so much time setting up the characters.  Season one was, obviously, an origin story, especially early on.  Season two doesn't have to set any of that up, and instead can head straight into the main plot (or at least one of the two main plots).

Yeah, that is true, but there is also, I think difference in...

(not heavy spoilers for episodes 1 - 3)

Spoiler

how Fisk and Punisher are presented as the villains. While there were layers around Fisk and there were more mystery surrounding him, with Punisher it is simpler approach. Simply, who Punisher as the villain is and what he does make things easier to go a bit faster.

1 minute ago, Risto said:

Yeah, that is true, but there is also, I think difference in...

(not heavy spoilers for episodes 1 - 3)

Hide contents

how Fisk and Punisher are presented as the villains. While there were layers around Fisk and there were more mystery surrounding him, with Punisher it is simpler approach. Simply, who Punisher as the villain is and what he does make things easier to go a bit faster.

Yeah no doubt.  Fisk was definitely presented in a more subtle, slow burn way.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious as to whether the Netflix shows --all taking place in NYC-- are allowed to mention Spiderman (DD and Spidey are homies in the comics).... and whether or not some of the peripheral characters could make an appearance... J Jonah Jameson... Black Cat ... Norman Osborne ,,,, if the flow of the story calls for these characters...  rather than invent characters...

I am also curious as to whether they'll ever go with the Kingpin/Maya Lopez (Echo) storyline.... I always loved her arc

I also think that bringing back Ben Urich --in the form of a nephew, since he said he had no children-- would be a good idea... He is --IMO-- too important of a character to not have around... Frontline was a fun read. 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm curious as to whether the Netflix shows --all taking place in NYC-- are allowed to mention Spiderman (DD and Spidey are homies in the comics).... and whether or not some of the peripheral characters could make an appearance... J Jonah Jameson... Black Cat ... Norman Osborne ,,,, if the flow of the story calls for these characters...  rather than invent characters...

I'm pretty sure they're only allowed to mention/use them in their movies, so I really doubt there will be any crossover with the Netflix series.  And even if they are allowed I still highly doubt that it will ever happen.

So I hear John Stamos is going to be the Defenders villain.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm pretty sure they're only allowed to mention/use them in their movies, so I really doubt there will be any crossover with the Netflix series.  And even if they are allowed I still highly doubt that it will ever happen.

Did Marvel sell the TV rights to their characters? At least a couple of the cartoons have used Spider-Man and Avengers characters together, but I'm not sure if cartoons fall outside the norm.

ETA: Marvel has full TV rights for Spider-Man (not X-Men though): http://collider.com/disney-and-marvel-web-up-spider-man-tv-rights/ 

I think Netflix would fall under that, but who knows.

11 hours ago, AverageGuy said:

So I hear John Stamos is going to be the Defenders villain.

Did Marvel sell the TV rights to their characters? At least a couple of the cartoons have used Spider-Man and Avengers characters together, but I'm not sure if cartoons fall outside the norm.

ETA: Marvel has full TV rights for Spider-Man (not X-Men though): http://collider.com/disney-and-marvel-web-up-spider-man-tv-rights/ 

I think Netflix would fall under that, but who knows.

The current deal with Sony doesn't allow them to use him on TV.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/28/kevin-feige-next-spider-man-will-have-new-villains-john-hughes-vibe

Speaking of team ups, as I was leaving the interview I asked Feige a question that I think has been on many of our minds since the Sony/Marvel deal went down: could we see Spidey show up on one of the Netflix shows, as he has one foot in that street-level aesthetic?

“My general answer to that is never say never,” Feige said. “But our current Sony deal is very specific - we’re producing the standalone film, with a certain amount of back and forth allowed.”

So, it looks like an actual Marvel Netflix/Marvel Civil War movie crossover. However, not one of the main hero characters, but a politician character from the Luke Cage show. I'm convinced it's an actual crossover because I just can't see them having the actress player two separate characters set in the same MCU. I'd be annoyed if they did, actually, as I like the consistency of the MCU. 

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/673815-civil-war-marvel-netflix-crossover#/slide/1

Will Civil War Cross Over with an Upcoming Marvel Netflix Series?

45 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

So, it looks like an actual Marvel Netflix/Marvel Civil War movie crossover. However, not one of the main hero characters, but a politician character from the Luke Cage show. I'm convinced it's an actual crossover because I just can't see them having the actress player two separate characters set in the same MCU. I'd be annoyed if they did, actually, as I like the consistency of the MCU. 

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/673815-civil-war-marvel-netflix-crossover#/slide/1

I'm still kind of curious as to why they wouldn't use Daredevil in the Civil War movie.  Seems like a no brainer way to include another hero and also promote the Netflix shows.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Its already been confirmed that this is the case. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/captain-america--civil-war/luke-cage-mariah-dillard/

Archived