Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

13 hours ago, Leap said:

That's great to hear. Honestly, the issues didn't bother me in Season 1, so if people haven't said that Season 2 is problematic for new reasons then I'm probably going to enjoy it immensely, particularly if they've done The Punisher and Elektra well. 

Roll on March 18th. 

for me there were no issues with Daredevil other than the usual problems comic book superhero stories have with plot holes and internal logical consistency. But as far as I'm concerned DD handled those genre problems as well as most of the best in class. 

4 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Awesome but I wonder what this means for his GoT character?

I'd say it was unlikely he lasted another full season or two anyway.  Given that he's the star of Iron Fist, they'll probably work around any GoT commitments he might have.  Even if he lasts until the end, he's a supporting actor on Thrones, and thus likely only has to commit a few weeks a year to it.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

In my opinion, Bendis' run on Daredevil from about a decade ago was better than any Batman comics I've ever read.  So yeah, I'd say Daredevil is a better character than Batman.  Batman has benefited from better movies and exposure, though, to be sure, and he has better villains, which counts for a lot.

Actually, that Bendis run is probably my favorite superhero comic run of all time.  Technically the run started with Kevin Smith (who told a great Daredevil story himself), but Bendis wrote the bulk of it.

About what issue did this Bendis run start? I've read very little Daredevil over the years, and would be interested in reading some of the better stuff.

8 hours ago, briantw said:

In my opinion, Bendis' run on Daredevil from about a decade ago was better than any Batman comics I've ever read.  So yeah, I'd say Daredevil is a better character than Batman.  Batman has benefited from better movies and exposure, though, to be sure, and he has better villains, which counts for a lot.

I don't think that run on Daredevil is better than, say, The Killing Joke, but it is fucking phenomenal and while I wouldn't say DD is a better character than Bats I couldn't disagree that he's at least as good. And like red snow says, he seems to bring out the best in his writers.

2 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Finn Jones is Iron Fist.

I don't know how I feel about this.

I think Finn would need to buff up a bit. in GoT, with his top off he looks a little on the soft side. But one thing actors have is plenty of time to hit the gym, and steroids if need be. I took a photo with him at a con once, and he's definitely pushing 6 ft so he has the frame for it, just needs the muscle...and a convincing American accent. Still, I think Finn deserves a shot at becoming a star with his own limelight in order to have a life after GoT.

1 hour ago, protar said:

I was gunning for an asian or mixed race actor but...I do like Finn Jones in GoT. I think he's one of the more underutilised cast members so getting a whole show for himself is great.

AFAIK his comic book persona is as white as they come, so deliberate race bending aside (which I have no objection to in principle) there's nothing to object to, other than "could they not find an american actor to fit the bill?" I mean I can't think of any off the top of my head, but neither would I have put Finn into any kind of fan casting list for Iron Fist.

I wonder if they are going to slot him in, at least temporarily for maybe part of a season, as Daredevil, which is in-keeping with comic book lore. S3 of Daredevil would be a good time to do that I would think.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I took a photo with him at a con once, and he's definitely pushing 6 ft so he has the frame for it, just needs the muscle...and a convincing American accent.

Given that Danny spent half his life living in K'un L'un, I don't think he needs to worry about convincing anybody with his accent.

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

AFAIK his comic book persona is as white as they come, so deliberate race bending aside (which I have no objection to in principle) there's nothing to object to, other than "could they not find an american actor to fit the bill?"

The problem with the character isn't so much that he's white, it's that he's a white guy who stumbled into a fantastical Asian city and became its hero and champion. It also didn't help that when Marvel introduced his immediate predecessor as Iron Fist, he turned out to be another white guy with essentially the same origin story.

Maybe they've settled for a script that makes him look a bit less of a white saviour type.

9 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

Given that Danny spent half his life living in K'un L'un, I don't think he needs to worry about convincing anybody with his accent.

The problem with the character isn't so much that he's white, it's that he's a white guy who stumbled into a fantastical Asian city and became its hero and champion. It also didn't help that when Marvel introduced his immediate predecessor as Iron Fist, he turned out to be another white guy with essentially the same origin story.

Maybe they've settled for a script that makes him look a bit less of a white saviour type.

Not exactly true his parents died horribly and he grew up an outcast in Kun Lun having a hard life

7 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

Indeed, a great white savior backstory is problematic, and hopefully modernity can eliminate that racist aspect of entertainment lore. But Hollywood (and by extension TV) still seems to like the great white hope trope. So I dunno, seems like an easy, but lazy, back story to write, so I assume they'll probably run with it. 

7 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Not exactly true his parents died horribly and he grew up an outcast in Kun Lun having a hard life

Does he still turn out to be a great white saviour for the people of Kun Lun? Him being an outcast but still their saviour in the end is even worse. Not only are the natives weak and useless and need to be saved by the white man, but they are also dicks who don't really deserve it. Which makes Iron Fist an even more awesome guy at the expense of the natives.

Sounds bloody horrible as a back story.

7 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Not really hard by K'un L'un standards. Yu-Ti himself puts him in the care of Lei Kung, that's about as privileged a life as one can hope for in that society.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I dunno, seems like an easy, but lazy, back story to write, so I assume they'll probably run with it. 

The funny thing is that him being white really adds nothing to the story but the racist overtones.

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Does he still turn out to be a great white saviour for the people of Kun Lun? Him being an outcast but still their saviour in the end is even worse. Not only are the natives weak and useless and need to be saved by the white man, but they are also dicks who don't really deserve it. Which makes Iron Fist an even more awesome guy at the expense of the natives.

Sounds bloody horrible as a back story.

Common misconception Iron fist is a generational title which one has to earn through gruelling tasks and trials 

Spoiler

which ends with needing to kill a dragon with your bare hands. 

Its never just handed to anyone over the years theres been a multitude of iron fists. 

1 minute ago, Ruhail said:

Common misconception Iron fist is a generational title which one has to earn through gruelling tasks and trials 

...which include beating all other contestants in a tournament. Danny literally showed himself to be better suited for the role of champion of K'un L'un than any member of its native population.

3 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Its never just handed to anyone over the years theres been a multitude of iron fists. 

The last two of which have been white dudes. Who have also gone on to do things that none of their predecessors managed (like living past the age of 33...).

Shit. Iron fist is sounding more and more like a white supremacist's wet dream. Ruhail, you are not helping the cause, you're just making the writers sound more and more racist each time you post. Not sure if that's your intention, but it's how it comes off to me.

Archived