Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

It isn't ABC and Netflix. It's Marvel. The Netflix shows are produced by Marvel's television division, which also produces Agents of SHIELD -- Alan Fine, Jeph Loeb, Joe Quesada, etc. We're not dealing with separate entities here.

ABC is mentioned in the opening credits.

• 3 weeks later...

'Buck, for those unfamiliar, has previously worked on such TV series as Nikki, as well as the HBO series Six Feet Under and Rome,'

:D

'though he most recently served as show-runner for Dexter during its final four seasons.'

:(

• 5 weeks later...

Daredevil has a promo thing, no new footage, just a few key bits of S1 laid out in a digital church thing. The Punisher Logo is visible at the end, as you can see on the video link. But the important thing is, we have a date: 18/03/16 so it is indeed coming in March not April.

PS Did anyone have a good pun for when we set up it's thread?

Daredevil has a promo thing, no new footage, just a few key bits of S1 laid out in a digital church thing. The Punisher Logo is visible at the end, as you can see on the video link. But the important thing is, we have a date: 18/03/16 so it is indeed coming in March not April.

PS Did anyone have a good pun for when we set up it's thread?

We should start brainstorming. Something to with Punisher, I'd imagine. If Elektra has a big role then "Elektrafying" but it really looks like it's going to be Punisher focused.

'Buck, for those unfamiliar, has previously worked on such TV series as Nikki, as well as the HBO series Six Feet Under and Rome,'

:D

'though he most recently served as show-runner for Dexter during its final four seasons.'

:(

To be fair the show had run out of steam by that point and he was inheriting a fixed formula, so I'm not holding Dexter against him. Hopefully none of the writers are coming with him and hopefully Iron Fist isn't supposed to run beyond it's sell by date.

I'm really excited for the new season of DD. Having the Punisher in it is an excellent choice. That promo seems to suggest that the main theme will be to do with guilt and the comparison of the two 'vigilante' style of superheroes. 

Agree .... The thing that's made the first two marvel/Netflix endeavors so good is the depth of their characters, and the human factors in their stories.... it's not just vapid good guy/bad guy nonsense.... there's so much gray area, psychology, PTSD, guilt, remorse, and smart villains...

One would think that if Netflix were able .... (according to CNBC they're burning through money) .... they'd be making as many of these shows as possible, simultaneously.... and Punisher would have his own 10-13 episodes.... I'm sure they'd love to do Blade, Jessica Drew, Nova, the Thunderbolts, or as many as they could as long as these series are making them money, and the reviews are positive... I just don't think that they have the liquidity to do that, and produce other programming...

What I really enjoy about a lot of the marvel products, film and tv, is that they use the different genres and insert superhero elements into them. With varying success.

Winter Soldier ALMOST works as a spy thriller on some levels and is as good as most James Bond movies.

ant man is a good quality heist movie. 

Jessica jones should be a good noir, often it is.

but the point is they are attempting to create different genre pieces with their characters , which makes it far more interesting. 

I think back to the bad old days, growing up in the 80s, looking forward to a punisher movie! Or seeing daredevil in the crappy made for tv hulk movie. Soul destroying 

I would hope that these series being Netflix / marvel collaborations, being part of the broader MCU means Disney would be willing to stump up a decent amount of money to make these shows, since even if they aren;t fincancially successful in themselves they add to the general luster of the MCU and hence are a worthwhile overall investment. Kind of like loss leaders. So for as long as Netflix can create shows that get critics excited and makes fans happy, Disney should make sure Netflix has the liquidity to make the shows they agree should be made.

I don't see either Disney or Netflix wanting to saturate the market with edgy / gritty MCU TV shows. So some of what the fans want from this collaboration probably will never happen, But I think both companies want this to be a pretty long term relationship. If these shows were outside the MCU tent, then you might think that longevity and scope would be more limited. The Netflix characters can certainly lay claim to making worthy cameo appearances in the MCU movies. Jessica Jones especially could easily run in to some of her past hero colleagues, and probably have a few choice words for them. 

Definitely looking forward to DDS2, but also excited to see where JJ is going to go. I assume S2 of JJ will be out towards the end of 2016.

I would hope that these series being Netflix / marvel collaborations, being part of the broader MCU means Disney would be willing to stump up a decent amount of money to make these shows, since even if they aren;t fincancially successful in themselves they add to the general luster of the MCU and hence are a worthwhile overall investment. Kind of like loss leaders. So for as long as Netflix can create shows that get critics excited and makes fans happy, Disney should make sure Netflix has the liquidity to make the shows they agree should be made.

I don't see either Disney or Netflix wanting to saturate the market with edgy / gritty MCU TV shows. So some of what the fans want from this collaboration probably will never happen, But I think both companies want this to be a pretty long term relationship. If these shows were outside the MCU tent, then you might think that longevity and scope would be more limited. The Netflix characters can certainly lay claim to making worthy cameo appearances in the MCU movies. Jessica Jones especially could easily run in to some of her past hero colleagues, and probably have a few choice words for them. 

Definitely looking forward to DDS2, but also excited to see where JJ is going to go. I assume S2 of JJ will be out towards the end of 2016.

I thought someone earlier in this thread (or it may have been the JJ thread) said only two marvel Netflix series per year? Making JJ S2 2017?

I thought someone earlier in this thread (or it may have been the JJ thread) said only two marvel Netflix series per year? Making JJ S2 2017?

I think this was the quote about show frequency. I guess every 6 months means we might get 3 shows a year sometimes but i doubt we'll see JJ before 2017 to be honest as we have Daredevil in March and Luke Cage in possibly October.

I read somewhere also that Netflix is under contract to hit the Defenders miniseries by a certain time-point. That means they have to get Iron Fist out prior to the Defenders. So 2017 might be JJs2 April and Iron Fist with Defenders in 2018 (and potentially more Daredevil/Punisher/Luke Cage?)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-plotting-punisher-spinoff-starring-856398

Looks like Netflix wants to move forward with The Punisher series.

Also says that Netflix has invested $1 billion into their original series and wants to have a new series to debut every week of the year. That's crazy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-plotting-punisher-spinoff-starring-856398

Looks like Netflix wants to move forward with The Punisher series.

Also says that Netflix has invested $1 billion into their original series and wants to have a new series to debut every week of the year. That's crazy.

It suggests the character works really well in the show. Bernthal is a good actor and has screen presence so as long as the story matches it should work out. The Punisher always feels like the most adaptable of Marvel comics for TV. The fact he's human makes it easier to make as well. Plus there are tons of great storylines to pick from.

52 shows a year isn't that insane when you consider traditional stations air more than 52 shows in a a given year on a channel. I stations don't self fund all the shows though or have as high production values. Compared to HBO, FX, Showtime etc it's probably ambitious.

Archived