If Daenerys were to fail/die, what will be the cause of it?

Floki of the Ironborn

"Pictured: Strong female character killed by her treacherous lady parts to advance a (most likely) male character's development"

Not to mention that a BIG part of Dany's arc is, you know, that she can't no longer get pregnant. 

I'd totally have a Nazi-level book burning party if that happens.

She will be killed by Jon Snow.  His Lord's kiss will be so effective, and her so comfortable with her sexuality, that her brain will literally light on fire from the sheer pleasure of it.  And third degree burns to the brain is lethal.  

In all seriousness, if she dies, I can only see three reasonable deaths at this point in time.  

• She dies in battle with the Others
  • She gets the Nissa Nissa treatment, hopefully in an interesting way that isn't sexist
  • She dies pressing her claim for the throne, or as a result of someone else claiming it from her after she has won it

None of that childbirth shit.

I would say pride and overconfidence (especially when it comes to prophecy). Dany has had quite the winning streak since the third book. While she does seem somewhat level headed than someone like Robb, I have no doubt that after winning the battle of Meereen and conquering even more places while having control of three dragons will make her feel pretty invincible. This and the fact that she is very gullible when it comes to prophecy. If Quaithe's prophecies have already done a number of her, I would like to see how her ego will become once the Red Priests start declaring her Azor Ahai and she starts believing herself as the savior of the world. Something tells me at that point she'll do something really foolhardy when battling the Others which gets herself killed.

Lots of reasons. Her enemies are closing in? The smallfolk turns against her, like Rhaenyra? She's done planting trees? Her dormant madness kicks in? She leaves the stove on?

I think it would be quite out of character for her to burn down Kings Landing, like her father attempted.

In that situation, I think she'd die alongside her soldiers, or wait for her enemies on the Iron Throne, cursing them before they killed her.

She will be the end of herself. Her own ignorance paired with her arrogance. 

I hope that is the case.

However, i think her actual death will be something like murdered by a other or one of the starks.

Screen-shot-2012-09-25-at-9.10.30-PM-300

"Pictured: Strong female character killed by her treacherous lady parts to advance a (most likely) male character's development"

Not to mention that a BIG part of Dany's arc is, you know, that she can't no longer get pregnant. 

I'd totally have a Nazi-level book burning party if that happens.

A straw man argument given no one is making the argument that she would die in childbirth to advance any male character's arc. 

Also, ADwD as Elio made it clear that the blood flowing from between her legs was a miscarriage, so she clearly can get pregnant.   .

As for burning down KL, that would be out of character for her. Besides, I think there are strong hints pointing to Cersei burning down KL given her numerous associations with wildfire and Aerys.  

A failure to heed her council and continue with the whole "it's owed to me!" Fire and blood shit.

:agree:

There is definitely a sense of "dragon" change in her that seems she may take after her cuckoo father when she starts her chapters by trying to plant the olive trees, then they don't take to growing (or they are going to take too long) and the at the end when she goes through her "remember who you are", "dragons don't plant olive trees" thoughts.  I see her being more of a hindrance to the battle against the WW/dawn.

From ADWD, D10:

"No. You are the blood of the dragon. The whispering was growing fainter, as if Ser Jorah were falling farther behind. Dragons plant no trees. Remember that. Remember who you are, what you were made to be. Remember your words.
"Fire and Blood," Daenerys told the swaying grass.

I can see her death taking place in Westeros, just not sitting "rightfully" on the Iron Throne. It feels that when Illyrio tells Viserys that the common folk in Westeros are secretly cheering for a dragon to return, Illyrio means just the opposite. Viserys doesn't realize he should NOT be trusting Illyrio at this point and that is a clue to the reader.

From Game: "And the smallfolk will be with us. They cry out for their king." He (Viserys) looked at Illyrio anxiously. "They do, don't they?"

"They are your people, and they love you well," Magister Illyrio said amiably. "In holdfasts all across the realm, men lift secret toasts to your health while women sew dragon banners and hide them against the day of your return from across the water." He gave a massive shrug. "Or so my agents tell me."

I don't see the North fighting in a once-and-done battle with just the WW's. I think they (Jon) will fight them and then turn to have to face the fire in the south (Dany). The Iron Throne will fall (melt?) and the seven kingdoms will be as one and we will have an Ewok style party to celebrate the end^_^ (It's an internet rule that all discussions loop back to Star Wars talk)

Dany dying in childbirth seems to... sympathic or something. I think when she dies it will be in battle and she will be reunited with both Drogo and Rhaego.

GRRM said that no ruler/king/queen will have a point of view chapter, and of course I cannot find the quote right now. I do wonder if he meant so far as in Rob Baratheon, Robb Stark, Balon Greyjoy (?), or if he meant never to have one. If so, then that rules out Jon or Dany being a set ruler and I am truly fine with that. I have stricken this from my post because I found this to be untrue. I misunderstood what I read in the past to mean not exactly this. Live and learn.

GRRM said that no ruler/king/queen will have a point of view chapter, and of course I cannot find the quote right now. I do wonder if he meant so far as in Rob Baratheon, Robb Stark, Balon Greyjoy (?), or if he meant never to have one. If so, then that rules out Jon or Dany being a set ruler and I am truly fine with that.

I would doubt that very much, considering Dany (Queen of Mereen, definitely a ruler), Cersei (Queen mother, rule of the 7 kingdoms), and Jon Snow (ruler of the Night's Watch) all have POVs.  

The King = no POV thing is a fan observation that tries to assign meaning to a phenomenon where the author doesn't want to get inside the heads of the guys having to drive the decisions leading to unexpected results.

I would doubt that very much, considering Dany (Queen of Mereen, definitely a ruler), Cersei (Queen mother, rule of the 7 kingdoms), and Jon Snow (ruler of the Night's Watch) all have POVs.  

The King = no POV thing is a fan observation that tries to assign meaning to a phenomenon where the author doesn't want to get inside the heads of the guys having to drive the decisions leading to unexpected results.

I guess that is why I could not find the direct quote? :thumbsup:

And King of The Wildlings hehehe

Dany is a character who will play a huge role in the war for the Iron Throne and the war against the Others. But let's assume that she were to die, or at least fail in her goals. What do you guys and gals think would be the most likely reason for her downfall?

Somebody's been reading Brandon Sanderson lol Heros failing is what he writes best!

Archived