US Politics - We're through the looking glass here people

Shryke

Two of my senior nurses are ardent Trump supporters and pretty much shut down any kind of political discussion on the unit because nobody wants to start an argument.  We generally avoid those anyhow because of how closely we all have to work together, but they're a special brand of verbal about it.  Which, unfortunately, means I'm sure they're taking everyone's silence as assent, but 2am on a night turn is not when I want to be talking to my charge nurse about politics.  Plus they're just so off its impossible to even engage.  " its the democrats who wanted death panels in obamacare" was something that came up earlier, and unpacking that statement takes way more time than I'd want.  

MC,

You should argue with them.  I've had a number of flame wars blow up on my facebook page with people defening or offering apology for Trump's latest idiocy (Dirjj among his defenders).  These folks need to be told how foolish they are to support this jumped up Real Estate swindler turned reality TV star.

Well I'm a non-practicing Jew, so still not in the club.

If you're aren't practicing any more then clearly you are a professional Jew. ;)

Speaking of The Donald, Kevin Drum has a theory I find quite persuasive:

I'm now going to double down on my belief that Trump is running the world's greatest reality show here. I think he got bored one day and came up with an idea that tickled him: "I wonder just how deranged you can get and still retain the support of the tea party wingnuts?"

He started off slow with wild claims about immigrant Mexican rapists, knowing it would draw in the rubes. Then he laughably claimed that he'd get Mexico to pay for a border wall. Nothing happened. He insulted John McCain for being a POW. Nothing happened. He started telling obvious lies. Nothing. He lied on national TV and was called on it a few minutes later. Nothing. He all but admitted that he knows diddly about the Bible. Nothing. He called evangelical darling Ben Carson a nutcase liar. Nothing. He claimed that thousands of Muslims in Jersey City celebrated 9/11. Nothing. He mocked a disabled reporter in front of the cameras. Nothing. He suggested taking out terrorist families. Nothing. He appeared on the radio show of a crackpot conspiracy theorist. Nothing. Now he's insulted an audience of conservative Jews.

Sounds plausible to me.

If Trump ran as an independent, he'd get a good 5-10% or so, just from name recognition and money. He'd have a field day arguing that Establishment Republicans are no different from Hillary.

I don't think this would be a bad thing.  In fact, i sort of hope it happens.

I'd love to see a Cruz, Trump, Clinton debate.

MC,

You should argue with them.  I've had a number of flame wars blow up on my facebook page with people defening or offering apology for Trump's latest idiocy (Dirjj among his defenders).  These folks need to be told how foolish they are to support this jumped up Real Estate swindler turned reality TV star.

i should, but Facebook and nursing station are two very different venues.  We'll see.  At some point they'll say something out and out racist and I'll speak up, but mostly they just drop a political sidenote and everyone rolls their eyes and moves on because if you have to spend 12 hr shifts in close proximity with someone, its way, way, way easier for everyone to not start that kind of fight.  Especially since I have to know that if I need something, they're going to be there to help.  It's a weird, very different environment than an office, I think.

I'm at that moment where you realize most of your coworkers are pro-Trump. Shoot me!

I'm curious your experience with this.  Several Trump supporters I know are completely devoid of facts when discussing him.  They think Trump is a self-made man.  I don't know how common this is but it's just so strange to hear someone valiantly defending the idea that Trump is self-made.  

I'm curious your experience with this.  Several Trump supporters I know are completely devoid of facts when discussing him.  They think Trump is a self-made man.  I don't know how common this is but it's just so strange to hear someone valiantly defending the idea that Trump is self-made.  

They were blaming Hillary Clinton for the state of the medical industry.

So.... anyone hear about the possible skeletons in Rubio's closet?  Apparently there are some 'whispers' about a lobbyist mistress, possibly even a baby, and definitely some questionable financial issues.  Nothing that's solid yet, but apparently she's supposed to come out in the next week.

So.... anyone hear about the possible skeletons in Rubio's closet?  Apparently there are some 'whispers' about a lobbyist mistress, possibly even a baby, and definitely some questionable financial issues.  Nothing that's solid yet, but apparently she's supposed to come out in the next week.

Was she underage at the time?

Was she black?

If no to both, then it'll likely be fine. Marco can always find Jesus when he needs to. 

Do you have a link to a reputable source?

I've read about some of Rubio's financial problems in the past about his credit card usage and his spending habits, but that turned out to be relatively minor and has blown over.  What other financial issues does he have?

Do you have a link to a reputable source?

I've read about some of Rubio's financial problems in the past about his credit card usage and his spending habits, but that turned out to be relatively minor and has blown over.  What other financial issues does he have?

None of them were minor, it's just the media doesn't care because Rubio doesn't matter yet. I mean, he's no Trump.

Also, latest polls show JEB! circling the drain.

None of them were minor, it's just the media doesn't care because Rubio doesn't matter yet. I mean, he's no Trump.

Also, latest polls show JEB! circling the drain.

The financial issues I mentioned were reported by the mainstream media by multiple reputable sources.  It's just that as far as scandals go, they were very meh, and there's not much left to say.  He has trouble balancing his personal budget?  I think it's clear that the ability to balance a budget is not a requirement for any politician.  I thought the use of the business credit card for personal purchases was worse, but he already personally paid off those charges, and I can't see the public getting worked up about either of those things.  

If true, he's finished.

And yet Trump's skeletons seem not to matter.

The financial issues I mentioned were reported by the mainstream media by multiple reputable sources.  It's just that as far as scandals go, they were very meh, and there's not much left to say.  He has trouble balancing his personal budget?  I think it's clear that the ability to balance a budget is not a requirement for any politician.  I thought the use of the business credit card for personal purchases was worse, but he already personally paid off those charges, and I can't see the public getting worked up about either of those things.  

I never said they weren't reported on, I said they didn't care. The media, as you should well know, is perfectly capable of making something a big scandal if they want to. Or at least trying to. But they have never bothered to even try with Rubio. Cause no one cares about him, even now.

Jeb is cranking up the commercials for the NH primary.  live on the border and noticed a big uptick on his ads over the last day or two. Might be his last shot at trying to bring up his poll numbers.

The more I watch this campaign the more I look forward to a Hillary - Trump debate. Its gonna be the most epic debate of all time. Trump is going to pull out the Lewinsky card in the debate and its either going to seal up the election for him or completely blow him up. I dont really care what the result it, I just want to watch to show.

Jeb is cranking up the commercials for the NH primary.  live on the border and noticed a big uptick on his ads over the last day or two. Might be his last shot at trying to bring up his poll numbers.

The more I watch this campaign the more I look forward to a Hillary - Trump debate. Its gonna be the most epic debate of all time. Trump is going to pull out the Lewinsky card in the debate and its either going to seal up the election for him or completely blow him up. I dont really care what the result it, I just want to watch to show.

How would that help him in any way?

How would that help him in any way?

It wouldn't. I'll bet most voters under 30 don't even know who Monica Lewinsky was, and those who do are unlikely to care about a scandal that occurred when they were in grade school. In fact, I'll warrant that anyone who still holds a grudge about that isn't voting Democrat anyway.

Your assumption would be true... for every candidate who still had to play by the facts. The way Trump works, he can say basically anything and it helps him with his supporters.

This. Trump would lie and Hillary would have to take a long time explaining why what he said is a lie. And in that amount of Trump would have told several more lies.

A lie goes around the world by the time the truth has moved a mile and all that.

It may not help him much but it will be used at some point.  There is no way a Trump - Clinton race would not devolve into a complete shit show of personal attacks from both sides. Depending on how she answers a call out like that it could either galvanize her to female voters or hurt her. 

Archived