What role will House Dayne play?

Floki of the Ironborn

And I mean both branches of House Dayne. Where is Edric, and what role will he play? Are we going to find out what Arthur Dayne's demise really was? Will Darkstar kill Balon Swann, and either way, what's his endgame after attacking Myrcella? Will anyone wield Dawn against the Others? What are their house words and why has GRRM been keeping it secret?

I wager we will see Edric again, but in what form I don't know. He might appear somewhere in the Riverlands along with ANguy and other former Brothers, or he might make his way back to Dorne and order his men to Join in the Dornish war effort. Either of those two seem the mosre likely outcome.

I have no idea what Gerold Dayne's deal is though, but I wager he will not be taken care of by Hotah, Obara or Swann.

The Daynes have been built up from the very beginning, they have to do something of significance. I think Areo is going to be our window on the Daynes. Maybe he gets captured, maybe he gets injured, maybe he even gets recruited (if Doran dies and Arianne is away.)

Personally, I hope that after how much Areo, Balon, and Obara have been built up as badasses, that the Sword of the Morning (please don't be Darkstar) appears and kicks their asses single-handedly.

1 hour ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

Personally, I hope that after how much Areo, Balon, and Obara have been built up as badasses, that the Sword of the Morning (please don't be Darkstar) appears and kicks their asses single-handedly.

But the heir to House Dayne is Edric, and he's way too young to take on those three. And unless Arthur Dayne didn't actually die and has just been hiding out somewhere, there's no male Daynes other than Darkstar and Edric to wield Dawn.

Unless the next Sword of the Morning turns out to be a woman, but I doubt that will happen.

There are only 2 logical outcomes of Areo's POV going after Darkstar.  Either Darkstar kills them all, which would be poor writing since we would loose the POV and no 1 has actually died in their POV so far without being revived.  Or Darkstar was the 1 who told Doran and its all just a big trap.  In any case Balon Swann is a dead man.

47 minutes ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

But the heir to House Dayne is Edric, and he's way too young to take on those three. And unless Arthur Dayne didn't actually die and has just been hiding out somewhere, there's no male Daynes other than Darkstar and Edric to wield Dawn.

Unless the next Sword of the Morning turns out to be a woman, but I doubt that will happen.

The heir to house Dayne is not necessarily the Sword of the Morning, and George has been secretive af about the Dayne family tree, so we don't actually know if there are more male relatives. We don't even know the name of Edric's father, and Gerold is literally the only named member of the High Hermitage Daynes.

That being said, it is a little late in the story to be introducing major characters. If Edric is too young, Gerold is too evil, and Arthur is too dead, then I'm guessing the next Sword of the Morning will be descended from Dyanna Dayne. Only considering likely sword-weilders, that's Jon Snow, Brienne, Aegon (if he's real or a Brightflame,) and maybe even Jaime (if you believe A+J=C+J.)

18 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

The heir to house Dayne is not necessarily the Sword of the Morning, and George has been secretive af about the Dayne family tree, so we don't actually know if there are more male relatives. We don't even know the name of Edric's father, and Gerold is literally the only named member of the High Hermitage Daynes.

That being said, it is a little late in the story to be introducing major characters. If Edric is too young, Gerold is too evil, and Arthur is too dead, then I'm guessing the next Sword of the Morning will be descended from Dyanna Dayne. Only considering likely sword-weilders, that's Jon Snow, Brienne, Aegon (if he's real or a Brightflame,) and maybe even Jaime (if you believe A+J=C+J.)

Jon being the next Sword of the Morning would make sense if it turns out he's actually descended from Ashara Dayne instead of possibly Lyanna Stark. But that's unlikely to happen.

I think House Dayne is just a huge red herring to distract the readers away from R+L=J. You have Ashara who's reported to have had a thing for Ned, Brandon or both before mysteriously dying. You have a legendary sword just waiting off screen for a hero to take it, presumably Jon. Heck, you even have Ned Dayne telling the reader about Jon's mother.

SoM requires Dayne blood and a great deed at a rather young age...

We do not know what Arthur did for the title, but we know what Edric has done to be considered "worthy".

A lot of characters have performed great deeds by ages 14,15,16, so it is not like there is not precedence.

Edric is right around there currently, so his act of heroism with Beric happened at 12 or 13?

and it is not crazy to assume he is leading the sect of the BwB that split from SH.

House dayne is just a big red hering. period.

You can see that from the show.

No ashara, no dawn, no darkstar, no little Ned.

Only Arthur was there to be a part of TOJ. that is it.

People, this is just something GRRM made conveniently for his so-called central mystery.

The thing is, I don't think it has ever actually been specified how much Dayne blood you require to be Sword of the Morning. Do the High Hermitage Dayne line (a cadet branch of the family) qualify? What about a daughter of the Lord of Starfall who marries a Yronwood or Allyrion, for instance. Any son she had would be a Yronwood or Allyrion by name, but would have her Dayne blood in him - would he qualify? Or, must the Sword of the Morning be a Lord of Starfall or his son? And to those discussing Jon as a possible R+L=J Sword of the Morning, perhaps a point to recall is that Jaehaerys and Aerys both married their sisters. So for two of the generations between Maekar/Dyanna and Rhaegar/Lyanna, there was no dilution of the bloodline.  But again, that feeds into the question of just how much Dayne blood is required to wield Dawn. 

I think the original five year gap would have been enough time for Edric to grow up to be Sword of the Morning, but I'm not sure that will end up happening now. I do think (and hope) that we will see Edric again. Although he didn't appear to be with Lady Stoneheart's gang, there is nothing to preclude either Beric or another member of the BwB knighting him before a return to Starfall (we know from Storm that the BwB knight a lot of the male members - including Ser Gendry). Or for him to return to Starfall after Beric's death as the Lord he was squiring for has died. In this scenario, Areo Hotah is the POV we are most likely to see him in next.  If he has attached himself to another part of the BwB from Stoneheart's gang, but remained in the Riverlands, then we could see him again in a Brienne or Jaime POV (though heading for Stoneheart, they are in the Riverlands). Alternatively, if Arya returns to Westeros and heads for the Riverlands to join up with Nymeria, then we could once again see him in her POV. 

As for Darkstar, we should see him again in a Hotah POV. I like the idea of him being the leak source, and it would fit in with Doran's viper in the grass strategy to some extent. It is a good way for Doran to rid the world of Balon Swann without taking too much personal blame - and the Swanns are Marcher lords from the Stormlands. As much as Oakhearts and Daynes have been killing each other for thousands of years, I'm guessing Swanns and Daynes have probably been doing the same. I'm not sure Myrcella will ever leave Dorne. Darkstar is an intriguing character, and I hope we do meet him again and find out more about him. 

Archived