Richard Morgan + Netflix = ALTERED CARBON TV series

Werthead

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

Netflix's metrics work on the basis that they will only renew shows that bring in new subscribers, even if they're temporary re-ups. In a weird way, it punishes shows that get people to sign up full time and rewards shows that get people to sign up for only long enough to watch that show and then bail again (like Stranger Things13 Reasons Why and now The Witcher).

I think Netflix's quality control is also getting to be a real issue.

?Getting to be?  When did Netflix ever have much in terms of quality control for either their own offerings or for the various 'documentaries' that they air?  Some of their stuff is HBO level, but a lot is closer to bad cable offerings from the 80s and 90s.

22 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

?Getting to be?  When did Netflix ever have much in terms of quality control for either their own offerings or for the various 'documentaries' that they air?  Some of their stuff is HBO level, but a lot is closer to bad cable offerings from the 80s and 90s.

I felt like a few years ago the Netflix produced stuff was actually pretty high quality. Remember there was House of Cards, that first Daredevil season, Orange is the New Black,  Narcos, The Crown, Bojack. I still think there are a few shows they make that are really really good. 

They have just muddied the waters by bloating out their library with utter trash, and I wonder if this was a reaction to how well some of their other shows did. Like those Adam Sandler movies over performed.. so they make more crap like that. 

But looking at the list of dramas they've been involved in making it is interesting to see that the quantity has expanded, and the quality has retracted quite heavily.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix_original_programming

I have a gut feeling Amazon will pick up Altered Carbon. They seem to have a bit of a hard on for book shows these days (WoT, Expanse, LotR, maybe more). Probably because they have a decent idea of which series have good readership and will likely cave to subbing to Prime for certain shows (not to mention the the reading perks that come with Prime). And since their streaming service isn't their primary money maker, they can afford to not be as picky as Netflix with sub numbers/watch time or whatever the hell matrix they use.

15 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I have a gut feeling Amazon will pick up Altered Carbon. They seem to have a bit of a hard on for book shows these days (WoT, Expanse, LotR, maybe more). Probably because they have a decent idea of which series have good readership and will likely cave to subbing to Prime for certain shows (not to mention the the reading perks that come with Prime). And since their streaming service isn't their primary money maker, they can afford to not be as picky as Netflix with sub numbers/watch time or whatever the hell matrix they use.

I don't know. They drop a lot of SFF in development so it often sounds like they are doing a lot of SFF but 2-3 years down the road it disappears. Banks' "the culture" was recently dropped by them but in that case it sounds more like the owners of his estate got cold feet.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:21 AM, Werthead said:

Netflix's metrics work on the basis that they will only renew shows that bring in new subscribers, even if they're temporary re-ups. In a weird way, it punishes shows that get people to sign up full time and rewards shows that get people to sign up for only long enough to watch that show and then bail again (like Stranger Things13 Reasons Why and now The Witcher).

I think Netflix's quality control is also getting to be a real issue.

There's a lot of sfy channel quality shows out there. I agree that it's a strange metric but I guess it's the same logic as why there's never offers for people to stay with a service but lots to join - people are lazy and don't cancel subsrciptions over deals.

But there is a lot of crap on Netflix which is starting to have the negative effect of making it harder to find gems as I don't have the time/patience to watch an episode of something only to discover it's cheap crap. But then the good shows suffer because people may not binge them in the first week.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:50 AM, The Winged Shadow said:

They've dropped Banks's Culture adaptation, so maybe shouldn't count on amazon.

Archived