Star Wars Episode VIII: The Force Rolls out of Bed and Stretches [Ep VII Spoilers]

Davrum

21 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Yeah, that one. The prequels spoiled us as far as shiny new things go. Lucas loves his merchandising. I agree that the prequels had an amazing amount of new things added (the Dooku's Solar Sailer is my fave). Too bad they seemed to spend more time on that than the writing. I'm confident we'll get more with the next two films in the trilogy and the additional films. I personally loved the upgraded designs of the old ships. 

I am not sure why you're talking about writing when I'm talking about something completely different. It isn't a competition. 

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I am not sure why you're talking about writing when I'm talking about something completely different. It isn't a competition. 

I'm well aware you weren't talking about writing. I can't help throwing insults at the prequels when I have the opportunity.

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

A T-16 Skyhopper is to an X-Wing what a Cessna is to a F-22. Flying one really doesn't prepare you to fly the other.

Where are you getting that from? The T-16 and T-65 (the official model number for the X-wing as specified in the original script, cut from the filmed version) are made by the same company, and the EU establishes that they have very similar flight controls and are used by the Rebels for training pilots.

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

If they had slowed down the movie for her to have a flight training montage (or to show Luke get training on an X-Wing), then we'd all be complaining about that.

But they could have introduced her doing maintenance on the Quadjumper, instead of abseiling inside a crashed Star Destroyer. Or better, using parts she salvaged from the Destroyer to fix the Quadjumper rather than trading them for food. Or even have her asking Unkar to let her do more work on the ship, with him refusing because he hasn't forgiven her for crashing it last time. JJ is more interested in cool visuals and making us feel sympathy for Rey than telling a coherent story.

Because when I think of Star Wars, the most compelling sequences are people doing mechanical work on ships I don't care about. It's right up there with galactic senate hearings.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Because when I think of Star Wars, the most compelling sequences are people doing mechanical work on ships I don't care about. It's right up there with galactic senate hearings.

How do queuing, basic cooking, and sitting around moping rank?

If a boy of 10 can build his own pod racer, win a race in it, build a complex protocol droid that speaks millions of languages, fly a star-fighter for the first time and win a space battle single handed, then I think a young woman, who grew up scavenging derelict ships, with apparently as much natural inclination for the force as this boy can also do a bunch of crazy stuff.

Star Wars is full of larger than life, completely unrealistic heroes. It's a part of it. 

30 minutes ago, felice said:

Not super high! And ya know what, I would somehow assume that luke ate food without seeing him do it. 

54 minutes ago, felice said:

Eh? What moping? And again, you are criticizing how Rey was written, without bringing the same criticism for the previous titular characters. What about Luke whining to his uncle about what he wants to do in life? And then there is Anakin...

1 hour ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

Eh? What moping? And again, you are criticizing how Rey was written, without bringing the same criticism for the previous titular characters.

What she's doing when she hears BB8 in trouble. And I'm just pointing out scenes in the actual film that aren't any more exciting than establishing her familiarity with Unkar's ships in advance of the plot relying on that familiarity would have been.

44 minutes ago, felice said:

What she's doing when she hears BB8 in trouble. And I'm just pointing out scenes in the actual film that aren't any more exciting than establishing her familiarity with Unkar's ships in advance of the plot relying on that familiarity would have been.

:blink: She's sitting around with an old helmet on her head, enjoying the sunset, after dinner.

18 hours ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

:blink: She's sitting around with an old helmet on her head, enjoying the sunset, after dinner.

That's exactly what Ezra used to do. Makes me wonder.

• 4 months later...

Thread necro... I thought about posting in the Rogue One topic, but figured I'd stay on focus here.

Am I crazy in thinking that Episode 8 is supposed to be coming out next year?  Like isn't supposed to be TFA 2015, R1 2016, E8 2017, Han Love Fest 2018, E9 2019???

If so, isn't it more than strange that we don't have a title for the movie at all????  I guess I can understand if they just don't want to steal any thunder from Rogue One; but seems like we should have a title by now.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Thread necro... I thought about posting in the Rogue One topic, but figured I'd stay on focus here.

Am I crazy in thinking that Episode 8 is supposed to be coming out next year?  Like isn't supposed to be TFA 2015, R1 2016, E8 2017, Han Love Fest 2018, E9 2019???

If so, isn't it more than strange that we don't have a title for the movie at all????  I guess I can understand if they just don't want to steal any thunder from Rogue One; but seems like we should have a title by now.

We will likely get a teaser and a title at the Rogue One show. It's a bit odd, but I think that it's fine. 

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I don't seem to really recall seeing too much before VII to be honest. And that was without a big shiny prequel to distract us with.

We had a teaser a year before the movie was released, and the title was put out at Star Wars celebrations six months before that. I imagine they aren't doing that this year as to not confuse people too much about the nature of Rogue One as a standalone movie.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2016 at 2:57 AM, Howdyphillip said:

We had a teaser a year before the movie was released, and the title was put out at Star Wars celebrations six months before that. I imagine they aren't doing that this year as to not confuse people too much about the nature of Rogue One as a standalone movie.

It's almost certainly this. The way the average member of the public engages with this sort of thing, you'd probably have a large segment of people confusing Rogue One with Episode VIII. You only really want to be promoting one Star Wars movie at a time to general audiences. They talked about Episode VIII quite a bit at SWC though.

Archived