U.S. Election - Because we know better than you do

Ser Scot A Ellison

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

SCOTUS Justice Antonin Scalia has died.

Holy shit. I just saw that. Completely unexpected news.

It would be easy to think that the Republican senate will just stonewall Obama until after the election, and they very well might. But at the same time, in the event of a 4-4 SCOTUS tie the lower court ruling stands and there's a lot of big cases that the court still needs to hear this year. McConnell might offer a Kennedy-type nominee to Obama, and I don't know what the response would be.

54 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Surely blocking every Supreme Court nominee that Obama puts up would be terrible public relations, and make it more likely the Democrats regain the Senate?

You think the public actually cares? They certainly didn't care when the Republicans shut down the government.

Unless you think people will vote for democrats just to push a nomination through.

A new president doesn't take office for a year, I don't think the republicans re going to hold up the process a whole year during an election cycle because while the public has been pretty apathetic about them holding up other things, that wasn't during an election year when all the superPacs and the campaigns and the parties empty the piggy banks to smear each other. The GOP isn't going to want to be accused of depriving the US of its constitutionally outlined 9 justice court for a year plus while there'd be tens of millions of dollars to get us all mad about it

41 minutes ago, Kay Fury said:

A new president doesn't take office for a year, I don't think the republicans re going to hold up the process a whole year during an election cycle because while the public has been pretty apathetic about them holding up other things, that wasn't during an election year when all the superPacs and the campaigns and the parties empty the piggy banks to smear each other. The GOP isn't going to want to be accused of depriving the US of its constitutionally outlined 9 justice court for a year plus while there'd be tens of millions of dollars to get us all mad about it

I don't see where this follows, because there will at least as much if not more money spent by superPacs on the other side to get people mad at Obama for appointing whoever he appoints. 

And there is nothing in the constitution that "outlines" there be nine justices. At the start in 1789, there were only six. 

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

You think the public actually cares? They certainly didn't care when the Republicans shut down the government.

Unless you think people will vote for democrats just to push a nomination through.

I think the public would care in this case in that it's such a prominant position and the political aspects so obvious it could easily be spun to be really damaging to the GOP.

I'm still shocked though. I'd heard nothing about him having health issues. I thought Scalia's hate would sustain him for decades to come.

1 minute ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

Rubio vs Cruz. Make America Spanish Again!

I saw someone on twitter make the point that what we have is two cubans fighting over who hates Mexicans the most.

Kasich seems to be doubling down on the nice folksy guy, while Carson continues to talk nonsense. Terrifying to think that he was considered to be a legitimate candiate at some point.

Something very peculiar happened at the Republican debate on Saturday night: When Donald Trump talked, the audience booed. Yet when Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and evenJohn Kasich talked, they got loud cheers and applause.

This happened again and again. It even led a spike in Google searches for "Why are people booing?"

Trump, at one point, scoffed that the audience was made up of "Jeb [Bush]'s special interests and lobbyists."

It turns out this may not be that far-fetched. Prior to the debate, the Republican Party decided not to use a lottery system to decide who should be in the audience. Instead, tickets went to elected Republican officials, donors, and other workers for the party. The result, it seems, is the room was packed with Republican voters who overwhelmingly dislike Trump.

Establishment republicans are doing the same thing to Trump what the establishment democrats did against Bernie. 

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/13/10987776/republican-debate-audience-booing

Archived