Better Call Saul

RumHam

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

At least he can exist in this show. 

So much more than exist, though. For me, it's what I love most about the show, and the possibilities are endless. He's totally a guy that you can't stop yourself from liking, and a bad ass to boot. Not your run of the mill bad ass though. I love his way of getting things done, and making people see his way is the best way. Great character.

2 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

I really like Nacho, he's got just a feeling of ominousness about him - the mannerisms the voice but equally he's one of the few gangsters in the series smart enough to not get wrapped up with pride it seems and accept Mike's deal.

That actor is really good. The other character I've seen him play on Orphan Black is the polar opposite to Nacho, and he's just as convincing in that role. 

I just watched all of BCS in the past few days, and I love it. I'm glad its not too filled with Breaking Bad nods, but sprinkles them in here and there (the Kevin Costner thing). It's definitely got a good cast, and I was relieved to see that Mike is basically the second protagonist of the show. But of course Bob Odenkirk takes the cake as Jimmy. He and Michael McKean do a great job with the McGill brother dynamic, and it comes off very genuine. 

Put off the show for so long, despite being a huge BB fan. Glad I finally got into it. 

So last night I dreamed I was watching yet another Breaking Bad spin-off.

This one starred Aaron Paul as Jesse. Apparently when he drove off in BB he was in a high speed accident that sent his mind back in time to just before WW first approaches him to help sell Meth.

Most of the show involved Jesse trying to avoid all the bad circumstances he went through in BB. Bryan Cranston made a quest appearance with Jesse just running like hell to get away from him.

At one point he hid out in a house but he couldn't leave because it was being watched by twins. Only it wasn't the Salamanca twins but these Paul Giamatti looking twins. When I woke up I had trouble putting it together for a few minutes because somehow the twins still seemed to fit but I knew there were not two sets of twins in BB. Then I realized it was the twins from Fargo invading the dream.

Also when I woke up I wanted to go back to sleep because I was enjoying the show so much, whether it made sense or not, I wanted more of it.

Solid episode. Mike's daughter-in-law seems to be losing it.

It's getting to be entertaining but painful viewing watching Jimmy be so good at his job but at the same time so self destructive. The way the show is going it's going to seem like fate that Saul and Walt cross paths. Both of them are incredibly smart but can't help poking the bear.

@drawkabi. Someday someone will find to record dreams and share them with others because that sounds like a fun and trippy show you dreamed of :)

I'm doubtful that Walt and Jimmy will cross paths, since he didn't show any sense of ever having seen him before...where Jesse at least knows who he is, so that's more believable.

Based on last night's show, Kim will cut ties w/Jimmy because of what she said about how his actions reflect on her.  I thought he might last through the whole season at the law firm, but it looks like he's going to be out fairly soon.

I concur on Nacho, he's a great character and actor who can convey a lot w/out dialogue.  

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

Solid episode. Mike's daughter-in-law seems to be losing it.

It's getting to be entertaining but painful viewing watching Jimmy be so good at his job but at the same time so self destructive. The way the show is going it's going to seem like fate that Saul and Walt cross paths. Both of them are incredibly smart but can't help poking the bear.

@drawkabi. Someday someone will find to record dreams and share them with others because that sounds like a fun and trippy show you dreamed of :)

Pretty much. I didn't understand why he wouldn't run that ad by his boss before airing it. I wouldn't think he would have had a problem with it. I guess Jimmy thought he would based off the generic ad the firm previously ran. That or like you said, Jimmy just can't help himself. 

On 2/28/2016 at 0:01 PM, Fat Mac said:

I just watched all of BCS in the past few days, and I love it. I'm glad its not too filled with Breaking Bad nods, but sprinkles them in here and there (the Kevin Costner thing). It's definitely got a good cast, and I was relieved to see that Mike is basically the second protagonist of the show. But of course Bob Odenkirk takes the cake as Jimmy. He and Michael McKean do a great job with the McGill brother dynamic, and it comes off very genuine. 

Put off the show for so long, despite being a huge BB fan. Glad I finally got into it. 

The show does a good job engendering empathy with every character. As soon as the viewer begins to form an opinion about a character, they show you another side.

Hamlin at first appears to be the stereotypical greedy asshole lawyer, but as the show goes on we see it's not that simple.

Likewise, Chuck is at first sympathetic, then comes off as a bitter asshole, and then even later we see his concerns about Jimmy are well-founded.

So what explains why Jimmy did not show Main the commercial before airing it? He thought it would be rejected? Or he knew they would flip out and wanted to do something self-destructive anyway?

Kerry Condon is a natural beauty and great in everything she's in, should be a bigger star. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Pretty much. I didn't understand why he wouldn't run that ad by his boss before airing it. I wouldn't think he would have had a problem with it. I guess Jimmy thought he would based off the generic ad the firm previously ran. That or like you said, Jimmy just can't help himself. 

Jimmy can't help himself, but that one was almost too actively self destructive to be believable, since he had to know that the firm would go bat shit over an ad that nobody saw, they're lawyers after all, LOL. But then, Jimmy has trouble with the concept that the end doesn't always justify the means in general.

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Who else thought the guy at the end of the episode was going to be Gus? ahahaha. 

I did for a few seconds, and was kind of hoping, but of course as soon as the vet said Mike was personally requested I knew it was Nacho.

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I did for a few seconds, and was kind of hoping, but of course as soon as the vet said Mike was personally requested I knew it was Nacho.

Yeah, I thought it was gus or Nacho. when I saw Nacho I wasn't disappointed though cool character. Can't wait for the next ep! 

2 hours ago, Commodore said:

So what explains why Jimmy did not show Main the commercial before airing it? He thought it would be rejected? Or he knew they would flip out and wanted to do something self-destructive anyway?

I think he knew they would reject it, but also knew that it would be extremely effective and, maybe naively, thought that Davis & Main would agree that the ends justified the means.  I don't really see it as deliberately self-destructive, either.  More like a sincere overreach in good faith.  So when they shit all over him and his wildly successful but unauthorized $700 gold mine it will really fuel his disillusionment and bitterness.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I wouldn't think he would have had a problem with it. I guess Jimmy thought he would based off the generic ad the firm previously ran.

No, I really don't think they would have like his video at all.  Remember, the Davis & Main partners agonized for days (weeks?) over the exact pattern and dispersion or w/e for the background of their one and only commercial.  They probably think very highly of their production.  To teh point of considering it a step above, or apart from the generic law firm commercial.  Which I would guess they generally deem to be crass embarrassments to their profession.  Suitable for Saul Goodman type, ambulance-chasing, hucksters.  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm doubtful that Walt and Jimmy will cross paths, since he didn't show any sense of ever having seen him before...where Jesse at least knows who he is, so that's more believable.

I agree - I probably used "Jimmy" rather than "Saul" but the way Jimmy behaves it's no wonder his path lead to that to the point he was representing Walt. Walt allows Saul to pull off all the crazy "cons" he loves so much and it's all about making the big score.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I was wondering if it's an insecurity he has too.  There seemed to be no good reason not to run it by the boss unless he was afraid of rejection. I guess they may have watered it down and like you say Jimmy is about the results. But he's going to learn the hard way that the method is just as important to these law firms. I wonder if he'll do something that eventually causes Sandpiper to implode? It's looking that way.

@Commodore - you're right on the money about Chuck in the sense it may transpire he was on the money all along. I do think Chuck made it a self-fulfilling prophecy though as Jimmy's reckless behaviour has only really resurfaced since he discovered Chuck doesn't take him seriously. I still think Chuck is a dick - even if he is right.

I was wondering that too, since even if they fired him, he would probably still be able to get some % of the sandpiper settlement, especially since now we know no one is out to screw Jimmy except his brother, the lawyers are actually trying to help him succeed.

Chuck pushes Jimmy's buttons, this is another one of his failings.  Yes, Chuck is right about Jimmy cutting corners, but something like the ad is exactly like Jimmy pulling the light switch....he can't stop himself.  He may very easily have been able to convince his boss to let him air the ad, or at least something similar, but he doesn't even try.  He decides, fuck it, I do what I want when I want.

Archived