Better Call Saul

RumHam

Great episode. I was thinking as the scenes with Mike went on that they could just as easily had a show about him with Saul as the part time person. Watching his scenes I didn't want them to end, he simply has this presence that is hard to explain. I still remember him as the bad guy body guard in Beverly Hills Cop, which BTW was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen.

Spoiler

You could almost see Jimmy's grand plan slipping away as Kim told him to never talk to him about fabricating evidence again. He was thinking she was going to be his partner in crime but now he knows she never will be.

Loved the interaction between Jimmy and his brother. His brother just can't take it if Jimmy is successful and will sabotage him at any cost.

BTW, should that be listed as spoiler since it's current season? I just don't want to ruin anything for people.

So, with a newborn and two other kids under 6, I've been able to get in the first 8 episodes of season 1 in the past week. Excellent show. I wasn't expecting it to be a s watchable as it is. Mike really makes the show go, if you ask me. I'm fact, I'm interested in his storyline most, which im sure is pretty normal. Saul is hilarious or he has his moments at least, so there's the comedy. His brother, geeesh, how doesn't he just sock him in the face and tell him to get on with life? I wonder what happened that caused this to happen? Really interested in finding out. And, I knew that he was black balling Jimmy the whole time from getting a job. Really hoping to be caught up this weekend so I can read the posts and join in discussion.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

Great episode. I was thinking as the scenes with Mike went on that they could just as easily had a show about him with Saul as the part time person. Watching his scenes I didn't want them to end, he simply has this presence that is hard to explain. I still remember him as the bad guy body guard in Beverly Hills Cop, which BTW was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen.

Hide contents

You could almost see Jimmy's grand plan slipping away as Kim told him to never talk to him about fabricating evidence again. He was thinking she was going to be his partner in crime but now he knows she never will be.

Loved the interaction between Jimmy and his brother. His brother just can't take it if Jimmy is successful and will sabotage him at any cost.

BTW, should that be listed as spoiler since it's current season? I just don't want to ruin anything for people.

It's already aired so I don't think it's a spoiler, but it's very thoughtful of you since a few people on here are still watching Season 1. 

He should have known she wouldn't approve.  He's never going to be able to maintain it as a straight lawyer, especially with his crazy ass brother ready to undermine him.  You would know that even if this was a stand alone show and not a prequel, he has too much rogue in his nature to play it straight for long.

Mike Rules.  I hate Walt all over again for killing Mike every time he's in the show.

Another solid episode. Banks was awesome as usual and Chuck is such an ass. What Gilligan has managed to do so well is differentiate this show from BB and give it its own identity. This is something that Fear The Walking Dead failed to do. Another great thing is the show has a more serious and sombre tone than I expected it would. While there are comedic elements, I think that Gilligan's intent is to portray Jimmy's transformation into Saul as a tragedy.

On 2016/02/24 at 5:50 AM, Martini Sigil said:

That scene when Jimmy was explaining the fetish video to the cops had me howling....,,

Me as well and I'm kinda glad that he did explain it. For a second there I was worried that I might have to google Hoboken squat cobbler.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Another solid episode. Banks was awesome as usual and Chuck is such an ass. What Gilligan has managed to do so well is differentiate this show from BB and give it its own identity. This is something that Fear The Walking Dead failed to do. Another great thing is the show has a more serious and sombre tone than I expected it would. While there are comedic elements, I think that Gilligan's intent is to portray Jimmy's transformation into Saul as a tragedy.

Me as well and I'm kinda glad that he did explain it. For a second there I was worried that I might have to google Hoboken squat cobbler.

I was getting ready to google it as well. I couldn't remember ever hearing that term. I hesitated because I have had a traumatic experience before when I googled a term I heard on the radio.

really enjoyed the episode. I've been trying to work out why I don't love "fargo" despite everything being excellent in terms of style, acting etc and it's the characters. BCS has the same level of quality but I care about the characters whether I like, hate or despise them.

Mike's employer still makes me want to punch him but my personal revelation this episode is that the character is amazing set-up for why Mike hates Walt so much. It's hard to admit but Walt and card-man have a lot in common particularly wrt ego and not knowing how crime works. Now I can't help but see Walt in the guy and patch that on to Mike's future take on Walt. Great stuff.

The crime interview was hilarious as was the pointing out that the video is where the line between doing a good job and committing a crime is crossed. Capped off by the fact he clearly went ahead with taking the case because of his brother turning up. Odenkirk nailed the scene where Jimmy loses his mojo and then regains it after a squeeze from Kim.

The show just seems to get better which is really promising for a relatively young show.

I'm not so sure that Jimmy took the case just because Chuck showed up at the meeting. Probably that played a part but I tend to think that he would have taken the case regardless. Jimmy tries to do the right thing but when an opportunity arises for him to do the wrong thing, he just can't help himself.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

I'm not so sure that Jimmy took the case just because Chuck showed up at the meeting. Probably that played a part but I tend to think that he would have taken the case regardless. Jimmy tries to do the right thing but when an opportunity arises for him to do the wrong thing, he just can't help himself.

Definitely but there was a reason he got the phone call when he did and I'm sure that tipped him over. You are right in that he is drawn to being a scoundrel though.

10 hours ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

Mike is almost as badass as the giy crom boardwalk empire, the dude with half a face, forget his name

Richard. And as much of a badass he was, Idk Mike just has such a great screen presence to him. He can just sit in his booth and look menacing. :lol2:

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Richard. And as much of a badass he was, Idk Mike just has such a great screen presence to him. He can just sit in his booth and look menacing. :lol2:

Richard was badass but I agree that Mike's power is often in the sense it never gets to fighting. He seems to know all the angles and command respect in such a way that most people suspect it's easier to do it his way. You'd have to be really stubborn and hate being wrong/bettered to beat Mike :)

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Richard was badass but I agree that Mike's power is often in the sense it never gets to fighting. He seems to know all the angles and command respect in such a way that most people suspect it's easier to do it his way. You'd have to be really stubborn and hate being wrong/bettered to beat Mike :)

Like a guy named Walter White? Jesse was even smart enough to listen to him, and came to like him. Nacho saw the light real quick.

All caught up now. Really great show. 

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Like a guy named Walter White? Jesse was even smart enough to listen to him, and came to like him. Nacho saw the light real quick.

Exactly :)

The cool thing about the show is that it really makes me want to go back and re-examine Mike and Saul's interactions.

I also wonder if I even want to know how Saul comes to know of the guy who makes people disappear (ed). Pretty sure we'll get to see their first meeting at some point in the show.

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

The cool thing about the show is that it really makes me want to go back and re-examine Mike and Saul's interactions.

Especially the one where Mike threatens to beat Saul till his legs no longer work. :(

On 2/24/2016 at 9:50 PM, Martini Sigil said:

That scene when Jimmy was explaining the fetish video to the cops had me howling....,,

I loved how the one cop kept looking back at Pyrce like he was trying to figure if it was possible that doofus could be part of such a scheme.

11 minutes ago, Minsc said:

I loved how the one cop kept looking back at Pyrce like he was trying to figure if it was possible that doofus could be part of such a scheme.

Yep, if you looked at that guy and had to choose between drug dealer or fetish video peddler, which would everyone pick?

On 2/25/2016 at 7:35 AM, red snow said:

Mike's employer still makes me want to punch him but my personal revelation this episode is that the character is amazing set-up for why Mike hates Walt so much. It's hard to admit but Walt and card-man have a lot in common particularly wrt ego and not knowing how crime works. Now I can't help but see Walt in the guy and patch that on to Mike's future take on Walt. Great stuff.

That was definitely my first thought as well but I also kind of pity the baseball card guy - he just seems like an all around dork and lacking in common sense in general where Walt developed this out of control ego which was what really made me grow to hate him as BB went on. I guess you could argue Walt was pitiable initially as well but I don't really see this other dude going in the same direction.

Archived