Football The Millionth

Xray the Enforcer

Yeah thought for sure an Augsburg equalizer was coming, just would have been so typical. Liverpool were not as good in the second half but still plenty of chances, really needed to do better in the final third. Hopeful that after getting a decent run of games together that the Coutinho/Firmino/Sturridge front will be really dangerous. 

Just now, Mark Antony said:

Yeah thought for sure an Augsburg equalizer was coming, just would have been so typical. Liverpool were not as good in the second half but still plenty of chances, really needed to do better in the final third. Hopeful that after getting a decent run of games together that the Coutinho/Firmino/Sturridge front will be really dangerous. 

You assume they will all stay healthy for that run? Even Sturridge? 

59 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Maybe we should get Augsburg's keeper.

Sturridge and Coutinho look lively, if a bit rusty (understandable). Can has been pretty good, apart from a potentially dangerous giveaway. Clyne is turning into a bit of an unsung hero for me. He's got incredible legs, very rarely makes mistakes and keeps it simple. Milner is his usual mix of hard-working, reliable and frustrating (it's important having someone who puts away penalties, though). Lucas hasn't had much to do, but that one backpass in the first half...

Our corners are as ineffective as ever.

Also drives me insane when people don't realise Coutinho and Firmino (NO H!) are different names and should be pronounced differently.

1-0 very, very uncomfortable lead.

You want to burn cash on a Bundesliga Keeper?

I would rather open the cheque book to sign Leno from Leverkusen. That would be the top shelf for Bundesliga (beside Neuer obviously). 

Also it looks like Zieler will be available for very little money at the end of this season. Rumour is, he has a relegation release clause for around 3 mil. Euro. And at the moment it looks like they will go down, unless some miracle happens.

6 minutes ago, Notone said:

You want to burn cash on a Bundesliga Keeper?

I would rather open the cheque book to sign Leno from Leverkusen. That would be the top shelf for Bundesliga (beside Neuer obviously). 

Also it looks like Zieler will be available for very little money at the end of this season. Rumour is, he has a relegation release clause for around 3 mil. Euro. And at the moment it looks like they will go down, unless some miracle happens.

Zieler is one of the few Bundesliga first choice keepers who I would say isn't an upgrade on Mignolet. It can be hard to tell how he would do in a competent team because Hannover are so poor, but I cannot comprehend how he still gets called up for the Germany team.

Because he is a good and reliable netminder, who does not entertain delusions that he could oust Neuer. So he does not create any frictions in the locker room, and silently accepts his fate as back up. 

Anyway, there are a few Bundesliga Goalies who are not an upgrade on Mignolet. Wiedwald, Tyton, Hradecky, Adler, Mathenia, Özcan or Jarstein come to mind.

Hitz is playing an excellent season, but I am not sure I would rate him higher than Zieler in terms goalkeeping quality.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Because he is a good and reliable netminder, who does not entertain delusions that he could oust Neuer. So he does not create any frictions in the locker room, and silently accepts his fate as back up. 

Anyway, there are a few Bundesliga Goalies who are not an upgrade on Mignolet. Wiedwald, Tyton, Hradecky, Adler, Mathenia, Özcan or Jarstein come to mind.

Hitz is playing an excellent season, but I am not sure I would rate him higher than Zieler in terms goalkeeping quality.

You would think there are better reliable keepers who are happy to sit on the bench than Zieler. Ralf Fährmann for instance - he was even happy to be back up to Timo Hildebrand.

I would rather have Jarstein and Adler over Mignolet but agree on the rest, so that leaves 6 of the 18. Okay, saying only a few are better is a slight exaggeration, but that is still quite a lot.

I am not a huge Fährmann fan. He had been journeyman/back up goalie for a big part of his career for a reason. He had developed nicely during the last few at Schalke. Still, I don't rate him that highly. And he probably won't get call up during his career for a simple reason. 

The undisputed goalkeeper number 1 is Neuer. Zieler is part of the squad for quite some time now, so Löw has no reason to punish his reliable number three goalie and drop him - Löw is loyal to a fault to his players. And the number two will probably be the heir apparent to Neuer, who will bide his time till Neuer retires. The frontrunners to succeed Neuer at some point are at this point ter Stegen and Leno. Ter Stegen has produced a few howlers this season at Barcelona, but the coaching staff rates him highly, because of his (for a goalkeeper) excellent footballing ability. Horn is a bit of the darkhorse in this battle for the German goal. All three are 22 to 23 years old. Paris St. Germain's Trapp is a longshot, and I don't see him as Germany's future goalkeeper. Maybe he will get the nod for the Euros, if Löw does not want to commit on who is the heir apparent. And he is with 25 also younger than Fährmann. 

Löw will in the foreseable future not call up both Leno and ter Stegen at the same time. Here comes the reason. They are both at the same age, and there's quite some rivalry going on between them. As both Leno and ter Stegen had claims to represent Germany on the junior level. Thus far ter Stegen has bested Leno on all junior teams. During the last tournament Leno was properly pissed, because he felt he was more deserving. Being the undisputed goalkeeper of Bayer Leverkusen and having more experience on the European level. While ter Stegen is/was more or less just the back up at Barca. So calling up both has the potential to really posion the locker room.

So I would not be too surprised if ter Stegen tries get on the transfer list after this season. Because on the long run the Barcelona bench is really harming his chances to succeed Neuer. So that might be another candidate for the Liverpool goal. If you really want to replace Mignolet.

Archived