Football The Millionth

Xray the Enforcer

2 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Roma and Juve will probably lose their CL ties too

And probably so will Arsenal, while Chelsea may or may not lose theirs.

Wouldn't it be funny to see City be the most successful English team in Europe this year?

Speaking of City, what's up with Alex? I haven't seen him on the board in a while.

Pool, Spurs and United may save the PL's 4th CL spot from the grasping Italians.

You don't need to worry. Italian federation has no political power. It has nothing to do with the rankings: if you are uefa, you want more

"english teams" (read arabian, russian, american, middle east money). So you just need the right ref who sees what he is supposed to see... and you hear only the complaints of the people (That bring you the money) you care about. The uefa style. Have no fear my friend.

That is a good Europa League draw, especially Liverpool vs Man Utd, BVB vs Spurs and Villarreal vs Leverkusen.

13 hours ago, Notone said:

I am not a huge Fährmann fan. He had been journeyman/back up goalie for a big part of his career for a reason. He had developed nicely during the last few at Schalke. Still, I don't rate him that highly. And he probably won't get call up during his career for a simple reason. 

The undisputed goalkeeper number 1 is Neuer. Zieler is part of the squad for quite some time now, so Löw has no reason to punish his reliable number three goalie and drop him - Löw is loyal to a fault to his players. And the number two will probably be the heir apparent to Neuer, who will bide his time till Neuer retires. The frontrunners to succeed Neuer at some point are at this point ter Stegen and Leno. Ter Stegen has produced a few howlers this season at Barcelona, but the coaching staff rates him highly, because of his (for a goalkeeper) excellent footballing ability. Horn is a bit of the darkhorse in this battle for the German goal. All three are 22 to 23 years old. Paris St. Germain's Trapp is a longshot, and I don't see him as Germany's future goalkeeper. Maybe he will get the nod for the Euros, if Löw does not want to commit on who is the heir apparent. And he is with 25 also younger than Fährmann. 

Löw will in the foreseable future not call up both Leno and ter Stegen at the same time. Here comes the reason. They are both at the same age, and there's quite some rivalry going on between them. As both Leno and ter Stegen had claims to represent Germany on the junior level. Thus far ter Stegen has bested Leno on all junior teams. During the last tournament Leno was properly pissed, because he felt he was more deserving. Being the undisputed goalkeeper of Bayer Leverkusen and having more experience on the European level. While ter Stegen is/was more or less just the back up at Barca. So calling up both has the potential to really posion the locker room.

So I would not be too surprised if ter Stegen tries get on the transfer list after this season. Because on the long run the Barcelona bench is really harming his chances to succeed Neuer. So that might be another candidate for the Liverpool goal. If you really want to replace Mignolet.

Fährmann's been one of Schalke's best three or four players this season. The one consistent factor in an otherwise erratic side.

As you say it is Löw's loyalty that is keeping Zieler in the side, the same as with Podolski and Schürrle, but that doesn't mean he should be there. This summer, you can send one of ter Stegen and Leno to the Olympics as first choice and the other as backup in the Euros, without showing any favouritism, then pick one of Horn, Fährmann and Trapp as the third keeper. Do you think Karius has any chance of competing? I doubt it, but he would be in the 23 of any other national team except Spain.

4 hours ago, Sept Sev said:

That is a good Europa League draw, especially Liverpool vs Man Utd, BVB vs Spurs and Villarreal vs Leverkusen.

Fährmann's been one of Schalke's best three or four players this season. The one consistent factor in an otherwise erratic side.

As you say it is Löw's loyalty that is keeping Zieler in the side, the same as with Podolski and Schürrle, but that doesn't mean he should be there. This summer, you can send one of ter Stegen and Leno to the Olympics as first choice and the other as backup in the Euros, without showing any favouritism, then pick one of Horn, Fährmann and Trapp as the third keeper. Do you think Karius has any chance of competing? I doubt it, but he would be in the 23 of any other national team except Spain.

Zieler has not produced a whole lot of howlers. He is just stuck behind an awful team. And it's hard to hold him accountable for all the shortcomings of that Hangover 96 team. Afterall Andreas Köpke managed to relegate with Nürnberg, while he was Germany's number one goalie. So I don't really consider keeping Zieler in as favouritism. That was more the case with Podolski and depending on whether he makes it to the Euros with Schürrle. He kept in Podolski, because he seems to be a good influence on the locker room. And the World Cup result justified his picks. Bear in mind, neither Schweinsteiger nor Kehdira were match fit before the tournament. But both were/are among the team leaders. 

Karius is one of those goalies, who might be good enough for quite a few Nations, but not good enough to make it into the German team. Germany has tradiotinally an abudance of goalkeeper talents. And you are sure he would only make it into Spain's 23, but not England's? I have no idea, how good Hart's back ups are, but judging from past England starters like David Seaman or David James, my expectations are not particularly high.

Feel free to point out, how awesome Hart's back ups are. Apparently the top Premier League Clubs don't rate them that high either. Because the only top level club that has an English goalkeeper is Manchester City. I just skimmed thourgh the Premier League Clubs, Stoke was the next best club with an English starting goalkeeper. So the goalkeeping pool for Hodgson does not appear to be terribly deep.

I wasn't aware that a statement like that was tantamount to blasphemy. Yes, I could not help, but taking a cheap shot at the legacy the English goalkeepers created over the last 20 something years.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Karius is one of those goalies, who might be good enough for quite a few Nations, but not good enough to make it into the German team. Germany has tradiotinally an abudance of goalkeeper talents. And you are sure he would only make it into Spain's 23, but not England's? I have no idea, how good Hart's back ups are, but judging from past England starters like David Seaman or David James, my expectations are not particularly high.

Apologies for being ambiguous, but I meant it the other way round. He would be at least third choice for pretty much every other side, except Spain. But, probably also England as well, thinking about it. Butland has been exceptional this season, if I were a Liverpool fan I would want him or ter Stegen in over the summer. Forster too has been good since returning from injury (that's probably why you didn't see him as a first choice at Southampton).

18 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Plus the fact that David Seaman was a very solid and reliable keeper. Not many I'd have changed him for. 

Would have required a shave, though.

Never rated Seaman that high. To me he always seemed like a goalkeeper who was above average, who suffered problems with his aerial ability/crosses, and somewhat prone to produce a howler.

14 hours ago, Rorshach said:

So Everton and Bill Kenwright (the latter after searching for investors 24/7 since .. what? 2001?) has finally attracted an investor. At least, sort of.

Do our resident Gunners know anything about him?

I had never heard of him before he sold his shares in Red and White Holdings. But anyone who is a partner with Usmanov is going to be really dodgy. 

On 2/26/2016 at 1:51 PM, Lucailduca said:

You don't need to worry. Italian federation has no political power. It has nothing to do with the rankings: if you are uefa, you want more

"english teams" (read arabian, russian, american, middle east money). So you just need the right ref who sees what he is supposed to see... and you hear only the complaints of the people (That bring you the money) you care about. The uefa style. Have no fear my friend.

What on Earth are you talking about?

You are aware that Milan glory days are long gone and that Italian teams haven't head great results in Champions' League for close to a decade now? Only two exceptions were Mourinho's Inter and last season's Juventus.

English teams haven't been that great either, but still better than Italian teams.

It's definitely not an UEFA conspiracy, as you are implying here.

Archived