Deep Space Nine Watch/Re-watch (No spoilers)

Corvinus85

5 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Oh my gosh don't get me started on the Prime Directive!

When it comes to PD moral issues, I think Janeway and her crew had more interesting dilemmas than the rest of ST gang.

And I could never skip anything... Especially if I watch it for the first time... I would feel as if I missed some super-super-important moment, even though usually is not the case. On reruns, well, IDK, that's another story... There are some episodes I like to repeat ad nauseum. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

One episode I started and skipped - where Sisko and O'Brien I think end up on a planet with human settlers where technology doesn't work. I felt I had seen this before, so I moved on.

The other I decided to skip just by reading the premise - another 2 of the major characters go through the wormhole and accidentally end up in a parallel universe. This kind of plot is generally the same in any sci-fi series, so I wasn't interested. I care about the universe they're in, not the what might have been.

Skipping Paradise was probably a good call. I think it has some good stuff, but IIRC it also kind of ends up validating the villain's luddite views.

The Mirror Universe episodes are good fun, though. I'd second going back and watching it.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

When it comes to PD moral issues, I think Janeway and her crew had more interesting dilemmas than the rest of ST gang.

"Interesting" meaning "most fucked up interpretation". By the time Voyager came around, the Prime Directive had been transformed into religious gospel in the heads of the writers instead of the guideline it was originally (not that they didn't make fucked up decisions based on the PD on TNG).

1 minute ago, Jon AS said:

"Interesting" meaning "most fucked up interpretation". By the time Voyager came around, the Prime Directive had been transformed into religious gospel in the heads of the writers instead of the guideline it was originally (not that they didn't make fucked up decisions based on the PD on TNG).

Well, working around gospels and things set in stone like PD at time of Voyager is always interesting, you have to admit :) I always like how Janeway called "bending" every time she had actually to think about what is right thing to do. Yeah, they have all made some stupid decisions, but at least, on Voyager, it has been questioned again and again.

5 hours ago, Relic said:

it also won't be the last time the Mirror Universe comes into play. I'd go back and watch it, for realsies. 

It may not have been the only Star Trek series to use the mirror universe but it seems typical of the show that DS9 has a multi-season mirror universe story arc. I forget how many of the episodes there are in total but I know it continues on to season 7. I liked some of the alternate characters, the Intendant was a good villain.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The other I decided to skip just by reading the premise - another 2 of the major characters go through the wormhole and accidentally end up in a parallel universe. This kind of plot is generally the same in any sci-fi series, so I wasn't interested. I care about the universe they're in, not the what might have been.

I like "Paradise" but it doesn't figure into any overarching plot threads, so certainly could be skipped. 

"Crossover" on the other hand is the first of DS9's Mirror Universe episodes and arguably the best one. I'd argue that it's an essential episode for season two... and it's just generally great too. Basically it shows how Kirk's visit way back when affected that timeline... in a fairly unexpected way. 

5 hours ago, Risto said:

Well, working around gospels and things set in stone like PD at time of Voyager is always interesting, you have to admit :) I always like how Janeway called "bending" every time she had actually to think about what is right thing to do. Yeah, they have all made some stupid decisions, but at least, on Voyager, it has been questioned again and again.

Oh, I used to think Janeway was the worst until I got a look at Archer, but she's still pretty bad. I'll never forget the way she tortures the PD so she can justify arresting some fugitive Ferengi. 

Actually, all the captains torture the PD to allow them to do whatever the hell they want. It's a grand Starfleet tradition!

6 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Actually, all the captains torture the PD to allow them to do whatever the hell they want. It's a grand Starfleet tradition!

Presumably Janeway's superior PD-twisting skills were what got her promoted to admiral ahead of Picard.

6 hours ago, Jon AS said:

Presumably Janeway's superior PD-twisting skills were what got her promoted to admiral ahead of Picard.

:lol: Totally! (Spoiler follows.)

Spoiler

Do you remember the episode where Voyager is getting pummeled by constant Kazon attacks, and Chakotay talks Janeway into trying to cut a deal to spare the ship? Through a series of command blunders (not spoiling) Janeway manages to brass off not only every Kazon sect but a good portion of the Delta Quadrant, leaving her to conclude that her original stupid position was right all along. Oh man...

Most recent episode I watched was "Civil Defense" where a security program is accidentally triggered, which was designed by Gul Dukat to deal with possible uprisings. Besides the intense start to season 3, this has been the most enjoyable episode of this season. Especially since it involved the constantly charming Garak (and I must say, I love how he has the tendency to simply vaporize any Cardassian stupid enough to get in his way) as well Dukat himself. When Dukat showed up on the station, hilarity ensued, as the program he designed turned against him, too.

That was an interesting episode because of the sheer volume of phaser blasts they had in it outstripped any other episode of the franchise to date. They had to come up with new ways of CGIing the blasts in rather than optically painting them (as they pretty much always where before that point). It's not noticeable but it resulted in a bit of a quantum leap forwards behind the scenes in how they handled effects on the show (as does the sailing ship episode coming up and the big late-season two-parter).

4 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

:lol: Totally! (Spoiler follows.)

Reveal hidden contents

Do you remember the episode where Voyager is getting pummeled by constant Kazon attacks, and Chakotay talks Janeway into trying to cut a deal to spare the ship? Through a series of command blunders (not spoiling) Janeway manages to brass off not only every Kazon sect but a good portion of the Delta Quadrant, leaving her to conclude that her original stupid position was right all along. Oh man...

Was that the one where Janeway was shocked - shocked - that a bunch of people who were still nostalgic about their slave-owning past turned out to be rather unpleasant people?

1 hour ago, Jon AS said:

Was that the one where Janeway was shocked - shocked - that a bunch of people who were still nostalgic about their slave-owning past turned out to be rather unpleasant people?

YES! She becomes their willing dupe, and then has the audacity to tell Chakotay that her judgment was right all along. Clearly, her judgment sucks, or else they'd have hopped back to the Alpha Quadrant and left the Ocampa and the Kazon to sort things out themselves--which is what the Prime Directive is SUPPOSED to require!

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Didn't know Will Riker had an "evil" twin. But I watched TNG as a kid, and didn't really keep up with it.

Not really an evil twin. There was a transporter malfunction and the "original " Riker was transported back to his ship and his copy went back to the surface of whatever planet it was.  He became known as Thomas Riker. He was supposed to be on Voyager apparently and not Chakotey. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Not really an evil twin. There was a transporter malfunction and the "original " Riker was transported back to his ship and his copy went back to the surface of whatever planet it was.  He became known as Thomas Riker. He was supposed to be on Voyager apparently and not Chakotey. 

Don't know if I knew that one.  I know that Tom Paris was actually supposed to be Nicholas Locarno, as that was whom Robert Duncan McNeill had originally played in his first foray in Trek...

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Was he? I think this came up in the last Star Trek thread and someone said it wasn't true. I know I never heard that, and can't seem to find anything about it online. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Was he? I think this came up in the last Star Trek thread and someone said it wasn't true. I know I never heard that, and can't seem to find anything about it online. 

It could be false. I'd had been under the impression that it was true but I'm by no means the authority.  

Archived