Football: 4 is Kompany

Zoë Sumra

14 hours ago, Notone said:

Have they changed it? Of course, if a player joins in the winter window they can register them to play. But as far as I know, that only works, if they have not played in the same European competition before. So you can sign a player from a Europa League Club to play the remainder of the CL season for you. But if that player has played Champions League with his old club he is not allowed to play Champions League with his new club. At least that was the rule a few years ago. The result of that rule was players picked up injuries for the CL play-offs, if they were the target of a bigger CL club. So they could play in the Champions League for their new club.

I remember that when Huntelaar joined Real Madrid, there was another signing (can't remember who it was) that played CL in the autumn part and that only one of them could've been registered for spring CL games.

It could be my mind playing tricks on me, though. ;) 

12 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

There was no contact for the penalty.

Still, United were the better team by miles in that half so I'm a very relieved budgie at the moment.

There was contact, though Martial did add a bit of flare, just to make sure.

Ref's decided that contact was enough to take the player down, some other ref would have decided otherwise. It's one of football's problems - refs' standards are not as synced as they should be.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sakho's fucking beasting it so far, mind.

He's really had a great match. Maybe the best he's had since signing for Liverpool.

11 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Personally thought Sturridge was the poorest in attack and Hendo in midfield so perfect subs from Klopp in my mind. And yeah Sakho has been a monster. 

Sturridge's face when he came off said it all, he looked like he knew he'd had a poor game and was angry at himself. On his day hes amazing, and that game was set up for him , with so much space inbehind. He wasn't helped by some less than idea service though from what I saw.

Overall I think Utd looked decent, if they could have played like that all season, with someone who can actually score goals then they'd be challenging a lot more.

12 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Sturridge at least hit the crossbar. Lallana has been quiet, but Firmino has played a large number of poor passes.

Henderson has been subdued, but I think a lot of that is he's been playing deep and avoiding elbows.

Henderson was sick at half time, so I think that probably influenced his performance (and his taking off).

The penalty was crystal clear in my opinion. Coutinho's fault for a terrible sideways pass just outside our box. Then he made up for it with a sublime goal. 

Was a bit worried by how much space Manu's midfield was able to find between our lines, but we keep looking good going forward, and if not for a combination of sloppy finishing/De Gea, we could have had a couple more.

I was really hoping for Braga or Prague to give us some more time to build our fluidity before we have to play Dortmund or Sevilla.  But even so, our EL adventure has been pretty fun post-Christmas.  Ties against Utd and Dortmund, in addition to a league cup final, add some interest to an otherwise humdrum season.

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Sturridge's face when he came off said it all, he looked like he knew he'd had a poor game and was angry at himself. On his day hes amazing, and that game was set up for him , with so much space inbehind. He wasn't helped by some less than idea service though from what I saw.l

Honestly thought he had decent enough service. He had three or four 1 on 1s against Blind/Smalling and couldn't get by either one in any of them, he looked lethargic most of the game. Clearly still off the pace a bit. 

Henderson definitely has been more subdued but that's two straight games he's had a prime scoring chance and completely botched them. Guy really needs to learn how to finish every now and then. 

Heres the CL ties since they haven't been posted

Real Madrid vs Wolfsburg

Bayern Munich vs Benefica 

Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid

PSG vs Man City 

So how bad are Utd really?  At the start of the season the addition of Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Depay and Martial, plus the retention of DDG, looked like they had addressed some of the weaknesses in their team.  And all of those new buys started pretty well before fading to varying extents and for different reasons.

Is it just LVG sucking the life out of the team, Rodgers-like, or is the squad really as limited as it appeared over two legs against a Liverpool team that is deservedly well outside the CL places?  Are Utd going to suddenly improve with a new manager or does this squad need to be overhauled again?

Over 180 minutes, Liverpool were comfortably better and United only scored a soft penalty that Clyne - on an off night - was conned into when there was little real danger.  And DDG prevented the aggregate score from going as high as 7-1 or more.

30 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Is it just LVG sucking the life out of the team, Rodgers-like, or is the squad really as limited as it appeared over two legs against a Liverpool team that is deservedly well outside the CL places?  Are Utd going to suddenly improve with a new manager or does this squad need to be overhauled again?

LVG is suffering from a serious confidence issue where the shackles are on the team, tactically, all the damn time even when cutting lose is absolutely necessary, like last night, which will likely change at least some if the new manager is anyone other than fucking Mourinho (FUCK OFF MOURINHO!)  and keeps making baffling decisions like repeatedly dropping our best two midfielders, but, in fairness, any squad would look limited when suffering from the injury problems we've suffered this season. We could do with another striker or two but other than that I don't think major sprucing is necessary. Just for starters, I think it likely that the next manager, even if it's fucking Mourinho, will probably play Herrera and Schneiderlin regularly.

Archived