Rant and Rave without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers Part 2

WolfQueenArya

4 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Heck the first half of s5 wouldn't have been bad had they stayed loyal to the plot. That whole speech Davos made about "the shield that guards the realms of men" would have been a perfect segway to have Jon give Stannis the advice to march on DWM. Hell imagine that whole Stannis/Shireen scene where the context was Stannis knows he's leaving her behind at CB and might never see her again so instead of it being manipulation scene for her burning it's their goodbye scene

I also wish Barristan would have like slayed hordes of harpies hacking limbs off really fast got wounded and grey worm died. Barry gets out of his coma and sees Tyrion sentencing him to the dungeonsbfor being a Lannister.

4 hours ago, The Winged Wolf Bran Stark said:

Wait, Robb was king? Are you sure? It seems everyone on the show has forgotten the King in the North, the Ned, and the Red Wedding. Huh? What did Littlefinger do? Not sure what you're talking about. Who is this Eddard you speak of?

Lyanna Mormont remembered, she was the token northern lord of S5.

17 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

My Jump the Shark moment. Mind you I had binge watched first 3 seasons before I read and reread and reread the books (and still rereading them). I wasn't even a book snob yet when those first 4 leaked episodes of S5 were around. By S4 some stuff was nagging me already, like Brienne fighting Sandor (I hadn't got to the second half of aSoS yet). Without knowing the book version, that was too much of a contrivance already, especially since Arya escaped. I was already wondering, "So, what was the point of this... creating angst and disappointment on purpose?" I expected to read something similar in the books, but hey that didn't happen. Then I knew the books were better written than the show for sure. But the point where I started to disengage from the show was when the Brute ordered Pod around at a campfire and Sansa and LF drove past in a carriage. The whole inn nonsense, fight and pursuit and LF's moronic arguments to Sansa as they look on Moat Cailin, and then Brienne telling Pod they'd just go around it.

After those 4 episodes I just watched some clips on youtube of S5 and read the live threads with comments of what happened. I didn't go looking for sources to watch S5 on the internet as a whole while I had to wait for half a year before it's on TV here in Belgium. My inner hype was over. I watched S5, while analysing books on the laptop. If I had forgotten to digi record an episode I shrugged my shoulders, and when S5 was over I deleted all the epis from digital memory. 

So the Jump the Shark Moment was the episode with Brienne-Pod-LF-Sansa mess in the RL. That's when I really started to regard their scripting as utterly manipulative, and my response to that type of obvious manipulation I dislike tremendously. That's where you know D&D will time and time again push for "finally justice/intelligence/safety" until you see it dangling right in front of you, only to smash it away. That's when I knew that Stannis was set up to fail by extreme plot contrivance, and why the Northern army will get whiped out, and Rickon dies the way the reddit spoiler describes.

Yes, GRRM can build hopes up too, only to sweep the rug from under your feet, but he does it sparingly and without going too far, and he also includes some form of revenge-justice as with Wyman Manderly. And he never fails to show the blacklash consequences for those who wiped out "hope". Ned Stark's death -> Robb hurting the Westerlands. Freys and Boltons doing the RW -> LS and Wyman Manderly and GNC and at least 2000 Freys gonna end up frozen and dead in the lake. In the books you know Brienne is on a pointless mission and will not meet Sansa and Arya... she does however finishes most of the remaining Bloody Mummers (in two separate incidents), finds Sandor and Stranger and realizes who Gendry must be. But the show wants to exploit the US feelings and then crash it, not just for the big moments, but with every character, and they don't do payback for the baddies, until the very very end. It's an overdone gimmick, and it tires me out, which is why I mainly stopped watching.

You really said what I feel in your post, that coupled with nonsensical behaviour like Shaes, or nonsensical plans like LFs, or nonsensical actions like Stannis burning his daughter or nonsensical emotions like Myrcella being happy to be a bastard born of incest owed no status rather then the daughter of the rock star King in universe Robert Baratheon mean I can barely watch the show without roaring in anger continuously at their incompetence and disrespect to the source material. They have turned every character into a caricature, it hurts to watch Cersei smile at Joffreys cruelty and cruel actions, or Pycelle drop Things for Tyrion to have to pick up, or the way they Zoom in to watch characters with evil villain poses on their face, they literally break my heart with their invented additions which is all the more tragic for me because I only heard about Asoiaf after watching seasons 1and 2 and becoming that obsessed that I read all the books because I wanted to know what happens in the end, that's a whole different journey but what I'm saying is that I loved GoT, I then became a fan and joined  this forum but from season  3 onward the decline in storytelling set in until season 5 jumped the shark for me, not any incident, but the whole season! Even the bizarre behaviour of the wights at hardhome  is difficult to comprehend, I mean when is a skeleton dead? What mortal wound suddenly kills a Skeleton that was alive until it got stabbed, it's impossible to make sense out of or apply logic to!

14 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

The sheer fact that they don't empathize with Sansa or have insight to her perspective is so incredibly troubling in and of itself and indicative of why AGoT is such a poorly written show

It is, isn't it, what makes it even sadder is that not one of the additions or changes that D&D have added have been needed or added to the story in any way, it's a walk of shame really, Talisa, Olly, no Tyrell siblings, killing of Xaro, no Varamyr, northern lords, balon living, gendry paddling, mya  stone, Cerseis Baratheon baby, the list goes on, but Olly to me is the worst character in History, clearly the most hated  character in GoT history, Valar Morghulis Olly, please please

Another JtS moment for me was Aryas hysterical laughing fit at the gates of the Eyrie after learning of Lysas death. And then the guards just let her leave again and never tell anyone that Arya Stark was knocking at their door.

That was typical "wouldn't it be cool, if ..." writing. They thought it would be a dramatic scene and to make it happen every character involved had to be an idiot, logic had to be ignored and it couldn't have any impact on the story.

6 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

My approach to Season 6 is very different from last year. Last year it was like how is Sansa going to escape this situation before the horror happens and then... it did. Now, Season 6, I am like, well, lets sit back and watch this shit fall apart even worse because you know what, this girl is an imposter. GRRM will have the new book with the real Sansa and her storyline will be hers, not some blow up doll that groping men who manipulate her around and treat her like a baby factory with an important family name, which she just traded for a dispicable one.

This!!!!! In a nutshell!!!!:agree::agree::agree:

This is only going to get sillier and funnier going forward. :lol:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/game-of-thrones-season-6-premiere-red-woman-jon-snow-dead-20160410

Per HBO's restrictions on what press attending the premiere is allowed to mention, all we'll say about the world of Season 6, as introduced in "The Red Woman," is that it is the show we've enjoyed this whole time -- blood and betrayal and battles tempered with humor and epic plotting and strong character work. There's no sense of anything really missing. Instead, there is the sense that new players and underserved ones may be able to take the stage in a renewed way, truly creating one of TV's most unique ensemble dramas. 

"Game of Thrones," as an epic fantasy tale, has its moments. But our investment, as it always is with great television, is with its characters. Season 6 is now primed to be as compelling as ever -- and it doesn't need any conventional heroes to do i

This question "when did it jump the shark for you" which has this thread in its grip for quite a while is really interesting. Lots of interesting new perspectives. Even though I have to admit that my own story is kind of bland because there was just a huge gap between a slow-burning boredom and the moment where I really loathed what they did.

I first watched season 1. The sexposition put me off, but I thought I can endure it as long as the story is as fine as it was. And then, after season 1, I picked up the books and read them till the end before season 2 aired. I then binge-watched season 2, but was kinda bored through most of it, and I remember I was terribly annoyed about both Arya's 'story' and the omission of so much of the House of Undying. I also only binge-watched season 3 without really paying any attention, I only concentrated when the Red Wedding came and I know how terribly disappointed I was that all these faceless extras never put up any fight, but were just killed like sheep. It was all bland, mechanical and lifeless... those were not people, nobody I could relate to, everything was just horribly directed. I then never bothered to watch season 4 (and still haven't yet), only to jump in in the last two episodes. Oberyn's battle was so awesome I thought the show finally found back to its height. And then came the last episode. And EVERYTHING about it was wrong, everything horrible. I jumped up at Jaime shoving away the white book to have sex with Cersei (such an atrocious betrayal to everything the character stands for!), then the complete omission of Tysha and Shae being in the position of book!Shae despite all the changes to her character which should guarantee otherwise, only to be killed in 'self-defence'.

Then I hate-watched season 5 long after I have read all the rants about it. Just to see how low it has become.

So here's some stuff from the premiere episode...

1. It follows directly on from that devastating, blood-soaked snowy scene at the end of season five.

2. There's plenty of brutal violence, but not as much sex and nudity.

3. Despite the episode's title, Melisandre (Carice Van Houten) is not the focus of the episode. But she does play an important role.

4. Gwendoline Christie's Brienne had the biggest cheer of the night.

5. Sophie Turner's Sansa is definitely no longer the timid, suffering Stark of old.

6. Fans of Arya (Maisie Williams) aren't going to have a fun time.

7. As ever, there are genuine shocks and twists, even at this early stage of the season.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/game-of-thrones/news/a790138/game-of-thrones-season-6-premiere-spoiler-free-review-is-jon-snow-dead/

I'm guessing Melisandre tries to resurrect Jon and is unsuccessful. Cheering is probably BRIENNE hulking out on Bolton's; Sansa probably a jerk to Brienne. Thorne, Olly etc are probably in for a brutal end. Arya is probably being abused by the Waif. 

Hard to feel any excitement for this season. Five was the low point. I'm actually skeptical six will be as weak, just on the sheer feeling that it can't possibly be any poorer than five. Before, despite my issues, I've always had some optimism that some quality will shine through. Don't feel it at all now though. 

Just now, Ruhail said:

4 & 5 make me really salty

Yep.

"Wow look at Brienne brutally murder those men without pity or remorse, isn't that so empowering?"

"Woah, Sansa's sass talking Brienne, eye rolling, bossing Theon around and isn't traumatised at all, she's so strong and badass!"

After just watching the GoT 10 most shocking moments special and watching the director of the Red Wedding episode talk about (with a smug smile on his silly face) how his intent  was to build up,the hopes of the audience only to pull the rug out from under them it hit me the makers of GoT treat the audience like they hate the audience, like the audience is their enemy. Shock is their goal, trying to keep us reeling as if by keeping us busy by shocking us we will not realise how shit the writing and the dialogue has become, that the characters are illogical and cheap laughs are now the goal, the story is lost and the plot has been sacrificed for the sake of tittilation and caricature like characters. 

51 minutes ago, LazyBazooka said:

So here's some stuff from the premiere episode...

5. Sophie Turner's Sansa is definitely no longer the timid, suffering Stark of old.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/game-of-thrones/news/a790138/game-of-thrones-season-6-premiere-spoiler-free-review-is-jon-snow-dead/

In one episode, her suffering is over, even though she just experienced severe trauma. Realism!

37 minutes ago, LazyBazooka said:

"Woah, Sansa's sass talking Brienne, eye rolling, bossing Theon around and isn't traumatised at all, she's so strong and badass!"

They didn't even give her one episode to be traumatized by what would have traumatized the strongest and most badass person ever, much less an already traumatized virgin teenager brutally and repeatedly raped by the worst monster in Westeros after sexual slavery by family killers who were going to kill her after getting an heir then suicide jumping to escape the hell her home had become while still in grave danger, before the instant recovery and empowering personality change. Realism!

18 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

Shock is their goal, trying to keep us reeling as if by keeping us busy by shocking us we will not realise how shit the writing and the dialogue has become, that the characters are illogical and cheap laughs are now the goal, the story is lost and the plot has been sacrificed for the sake of tittilation and caricature like characters. 

That's it in a nutshell isn't it?  I loved Arya and the Hound's journey across the Riverlands, and after the RW it was really poignant for both of them.  In GOT it all for laff's and Arya didn't lose a beat after her mother and brother were so cruelly murdered.  Dreck, pure dreck.

19 minutes ago, LongRider said:

That's it in a nutshell isn't it?  I loved Arya and the Hound's journey across the Riverlands, and after the RW it was really poignant for both of them.  In GOT it all for laff's and Arya didn't lose a beat after her mother and brother were so cruelly murdered.  Dreck, pure dreck.

And the Hound stole silver instead of working hard and leaving peacefully, to give Arya a meaningless punch line in the end. Rather than the way better ending in the books, where she took the Hound off her list, because she came to know Sandor. Which actually was meaningful, but they can't have any of that on Game of Thrones...

9 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

In three words, Turner describes Fansa this season: "Boss. Ass. Bitch." /realism

Are you serious? Are they proud of this? If people want this sort of TV why don't they just watch the wrestling and leave AsoiaF alone? D&D are more suited to working on storylines with Vince McMahon then trying to adapt adult epic fantasy that GRRM has given the world, they truly appall me with what they have presented in recent seasons.

Archived