Rant and Rave without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers Part 2

WolfQueenArya

14 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

They are not going to address jack. Addressing is for 8th graders.

Brienne saves the day! /last season was so last year

If Fansa is such a badass after the suicide jump to escape sexual slavery... Too bad her super powers didn't kick in last season, she could have avoided all of this. Then again, she wouldn't have a reason to get empowering rape revenge (so they killed her family, whatever).

What's infuriating is that you can be sure all the mainstream media will wag their finger at all the haters and purists (I'm sure they'll throw in some prude as well) for complaining last season without realising that it was amazing character development. Sansa is a STRONG WOMAN now, why the complaints ?

2 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

It's too bad Brienne the Brute and Brienne the Brute II don't go on a road trip, maybe they do for a time, but then there's trouble in brute paradise, because they definitely split up. Maybe they both take turns berating Pod.

Come on, you know that's impossible. Women are always catty. They just can't get along , even for a short time.

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Martin is an outstanding writer of horror, both in ASOIAF, and in his other novels and short stories.  I think that Catelyn's last chapter is a classic piece of horror writing - the way he keeps turning up the tension, then relaxing it, then turning it up again.  Catelyn knows that there's something wrong, but can't tell what.  Catelyn's fears keep alternating with her hopes. 

Another thing is the way that Martin will mix horror in with romance and humour, rather than just giving us a relentless litany of brutality.

As I said, Martin uses horror writing (the RW chapter certainly is an excellent example of it), but he uses it sparingly in the books. And the way he writes it allows the reader space and room. I wouldn't call aSoIaF as a whole "horror" though... exactly because he doesn't do it in every chapter of every arc. His horror is that of the classic gothics of the 19th century - the magical, dark fairytale. GOT uses cheap horror tricks for maximum shock effect constantly. George does Beauty & the Beast, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Dante's Inferno, Bluebeard. Brienne meets and defeats horror twice.. and then ends up with the gothic horror of LS. In GOT Brienne is the horror. GOT does the Hitchhiker, Last House on the Left and Saw.

So, yes... It's the classic magical, romantic horor versus cheap brutality.

5 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Come on, you know that's impossible. Women are always catty. They just can't get along , even for a short time.

Oh that's right. Maybe we'll get Meera v Osha 2.0. And since both Brienne the Brute and Xansa are SUCH BADASS BOSSES, maybe they'll kill each other and spare us further butchery. 

I thought it was telling that the EW story mentions several SHOCKING TWISTS in Just The First Episode that no one will see coming.  Ahem.

That's what GOT is:  shocking twists, who needs foreshadowing.

Also, why do Dan and Dave always talk about the number of crews/shooting locations, etc.  Didn't their grandmother ever tell them that old saying about quality over quantity????

Sophie Turner:

"This season is less about Dark Sansa and more about the Sansa who has been through the ringer and she’s had so many hardships, and she knows how the game is played now, she knows the politics, and it’s about trying to make people listen to her, and trying to convince people that she’s not just a stupid little girl anymore, she knows how to manipulate and how to get what she wants, and it’s just about getting people to listen and getting everyone to come with her on these journeys."

So apparently getting raped and abused several times was what it took for her to finally understand how to "play the game". 

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

As I said, Martin uses horror writing (the RW chapter certainly is an excellent example of it), but he uses it sparingly in the books. And the way he writes it allows the reader space and room. I wouldn't call aSoIaF as a whole "horror" though... exactly because he doesn't do it in every chapter of every arc. His horror is that of the classic gothics of the 19th century - the magical, dark fairytale. GOT uses cheap horror tricks for maximum shock effect constantly. George does Beauty & the Beast, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Dante's Inferno, Bluebeard. Brienne meets and defeats horror twice. In GOT Brienne is the horror. GOT does the Hitchhiker, Last House on the Left and Saw.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that ASOIAF is all horror.  But, I think that you're spot on in the distinction you draw between Martin's horror, and HBO's horror.

1 minute ago, LazyBazooka said:

So apparently getting raped and abused several times was what it took for her to finally understand how to "play the game". 

Wasn't she raped once?  Also isn't that what is expected in a society with forced marriage, and isn't GoT a statement against same?

umm in Weisseroffi is there such thing as marital rape?  What is there to not know?  Ramsey married Sansa, he can have sex with her, regardless of her wishes.  What is there for Roose to care about?

The fuck.?

Who exactly did "Sansa" manipulate last year?

She failed to prevent her husband from abusing her.

She failed to enlist Myranda as an assistant in getting her out of WF.

She failed to get Theon to help her until after he throws Myranda off the wall.

She failed to demand that LF not leave her with a bunch of freaks who have flayed people hanging in the yard.

She failed to light the candle in the window in a timely manner.

All she did last season was fail to fucking manipulate a single solitary soul.  I mean, seriously Sophie, we all watched the show last year.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I thought it was telling that the EW story mentions several SHOCKING TWISTS in Just The First Episode that no one will see coming.  Ahem.

That's what GOT is:  shocking twists, who needs foreshadowing.

Also, why do Dan and Dave always talk about the number of crews/shooting locations, etc.  Didn't their grandmother ever tell them that old saying about quality over quantity????

Because dangling shiny pretty stuff in front of everyone's eyes will make them not pay attention to the fact that other than great casting and impressive shooting schedule/props/etc there's absolutely nothing there.  

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

Me too. I want this Horrific of Thrones to end. Everybody dead - the end. It has become a torture to watch it imo.

The show would be an utter failure without the books.  The books provide the context for the silly discourse and light on details storylines.  

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that ASOIAF is all horror.  But, I think that you're spot on in the distinction you draw between Martin's horror, and HBO's horror.

I wasn't sure ;) Glad we agree on the immense difference on how each handle horror.

4 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I wasn't sure ;) Glad we agree on the immense difference on how each handle horror.

This quote of Martin's is worth reprinting in full:-

"Bad horror stories concern themselves with six ways to kill a vampire, and graphic accounts of how the rats ate Billy's genitalia. Good horror stories are about larger things. About hope and despair. About love and hatred, lust and jealousy. About friendship and adolescence and sexuality and rage, loneliness and alienation and psychosis, courage and cowardice, the human mind and body and spirit under stress and in agony, the human heart in unending conflict with itself. Good horror stories make us look at our reflections in dark distorting mirrors, where we glimpse things that disturb us, things that we did not really want to look at. Horror looks into the shadows of the human soul, at the fears and rages that live within us all.

But darkness is meaningless without light, and horror is pointless without beauty. The best horror stories are stories first and horror second, and however much they scare us, they do more than that as well. They have room in them for laughter as well as screams, for triumph and tenderness as well as tragedy. They concern themselves not simply with fear, but with life in all its infinite variety, with love and death and birth and hope and lust and transcendence, with the whole range of experiences and emotions that make up the human condition. Their characters are people, people who linger in our imagination, people like those around us, people who do not exist solely to be the objects of violent slaughter in chapter four. The best horror stories tell us truths.”

I don't think that Martin has always succeeded in achieving this, but he certainly did with his best horror stories (eg In the Lost Lands, The Skin Trade, The Pear-Shaped Man, Fevre Dream).

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The fuck.?

Who exactly did "Sansa" manipulate last year?

She failed to prevent her husband from abusing her.

She failed to enlist Myranda as an assistant in getting her out of WF.

She failed to get Theon to help her until after he throws Myranda off the wall.

She failed to demand that LF not leave her with a bunch of freaks who have flayed people hanging in the yard.

She failed to light the candle in the window in a timely manner.

All she did last season was fail to fucking manipulate a single solitary soul.  I mean, seriously Sophie, we all watched the show last year.

Yep. Like a sheep to the slaughter.

Archived