Rant and Rave without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers Part 2

WolfQueenArya

12 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

GOT has become a horror show, mixed in with slap stick. And you know in horror movies characters are always doing dumb stuff where you shout at the TV, "Don't go down into that creepy cellar all by yourself!!!!"

To be fair, in the horror movies they barely get reminded that "You shouldn't be here" after going into said creepy cellar/kennel.

2 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Game of thrones from what ive seen is the only show that seems "immune" to criticism and gets met with book snob/dont watch it/its the best show etc. Contrast this with the walking dead which also has a strong source material very often faces heavy criticism freely when it does the same shit GoT does.

I guess it's because it's a horror show pretending to be something else, while TWD brands itself a horror series and thus will be compared to the multitude of horror shows and movies that have been done by the thousands. GOT escapes that comparison by presenting itself as a fantasy with historical "realism". Everybody ends up comparing it with LotR isntead of Saw II, Halloween, etc.

10 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Game of thrones from what ive seen is the only show that seems "immune" to criticism and gets met with book snob/dont watch it/its the best show etc. Contrast this with the walking dead which also has a strong source material very often faces heavy criticism freely when it does the same shit GoT does.

Yeah, I meet so many people who criticise The Walking Dead for having bad writing, and then they go on to say that Game of Thrones is one of their favourite shows and has great writing. I guess because GoT has more spectacle to distract people from its hideous plot holes and offensive content.

7 minutes ago, Karmarni said:

Oh yeah! All this. She's going to be some seriously ramped up Superhero BDSM Sex Kitten. Turner, with her nasal man voice, statuesque build and hip hop aesthetic will rock Fansa to the max.

Which, of course, makes me cry. Poor Sansa that GRRM brought to life would take one look at her and run the opposite way. Littlefinger, on the other hand, will think she's a gift from the god's for him.

Yeah, Sansa in the books would be horrified. This is not only nothing like Sansa, it's nothing human. She's defined by bizarre behavior.

22 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

To be fair, in the horror movies they barely get reminded that "You shouldn't be here" after going into said creepy cellar/kennel.

Well, Theon had to insert that classic audience line, because the audience thinks they're watching some historical house of cards instead of the Cabin in the Woods mixed with the Last House on the Left. If people are aware they're watching horror, they know to shout or think it themselves (bad idea, don't go there), and you'll know that usually everybody dies a horrible death except perhaps one character (if it's a hopeful horror) or nobody at all (if it's really an edgy horror). But who is shocked if somebody dies or gets raped in a horror show, even the guy or gal you root for? In horror the angst is not in "ffs he died?!!!", but "oooh, please let him succeed in this inane plan against all odds". By not marketing and branding the GOT show for what it is (horror), suddenly the "oooh, he died/she got raped," becomes the shock,and it's called "awesome! brilliant! why did no one ever dare to do that before?!!! Sooooooo edgy!". It's been done since creepy movies were made.

37 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Well, Theon had to insert that classic audience line, because the audience thinks they're watching some historical house of cards instead of the Cabin in the Woods mixed with the Last House on the Left. If people are aware they're watching horror, they know to shout or think it themselves (bad idea, don't go there), and you'll know that usually everybody dies a horrible death except perhaps one character (if it's a hopeful horror) or nobody at all (if it's really an edgy horror). But who is shocked if somebody dies or gets raped in a horror show, even the guy or gal you root for? In horror the angst is not in "ffs he died?!!!", but "oooh, please let him succeed in this inane plan against all odds". By not marketing and branding the GOT show for what it is (horror), suddenly the "oooh, he died/she got raped," becomes the shock,and it's called "awesome! brilliant! why did no one ever dare to do that before?!!! Sooooooo edgy!". It's been done since creepy movies were made.

I like what you're saying about horror and the marketing here. It's not something I've thought of like this before.

13 minutes ago, Alayne's Shadow. said:

Ugh, I wish Sansa had died from the fall. I'm betting she'll kill someone on the premiere.

Oh, wait, so she not only gets the insta personality change as an insta badass after severe trauma, but she's Brienne the Brute II? :lol: 

Just now, Le Cygne said:

Oh, wait, so she not gets the insta personality change as an insta badass after severe trauma, but she's Brienne the Brute II? :lol: 

Hey, maybe she'll get mini-Oathkeeper from the new costume designer, then she can wield both, like fake KG at the ToJ. :lol:

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Hey, maybe she'll get mini-Oathkeeper from the new costume designer, then she can wield both, like fake KG at the ToJ. :lol:

It would be better if she kept it inside her cleavage. She could still wear her leash, just keep it there. Then she dramatically draws it out, and everyone runs away! Fear the Boss. Ass. Bitch.!!!

11 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Dinklage might redeem himself in our eyes if he keeps throwing this kind of shade:

http://almostaprayer.tumblr.com/post/142632158447/gwendoline-peter-dinklage-throws-massive-shade

He has a long way to go after the very callous and very false comment that "no one cares about the prostitutes and other women getting raped and killed" (paraphrasing). Maybe he's throwing shade, I'm not even sure he is. If he is, it's a start, but I'll say it again, he has a veryyyyyy looooong way to go after that comment. :/

1 minute ago, Karmarni said:

I like what you're saying about horror and the marketing here. It's not something I've thought of like this before.

Makes sense no? I only realized it because of my answer regarding the Jump the Shark moment for me - the same feeling of being manipulated as I felt when watching The Ring and Last House on the Left. It's that type of manipulation that turned me off from horror, except classics like Nosferatu or the first Scream that had fun with the "rules".

Mind you, I'm not saying aSoIaF is horror... George does mix in horror themes and elements, but without showing the horror, and he uses it sparingly (even if his books have a huge death count). Horror is only horror when it shows the horrific and usually a lot of it. It ain't horror, when it doesn't. Last night I ended up binge-watching Fear of the Walking Dead on AMC. As I said, I tend to avoid horror for a decade now. I didn't even realize I was watching Fear of the Walking Dead until several minutes in, and it wasn't the manipulative horror style for me, so that why I ended up binge-watchng it. I know it got a heap load of criticism. I can understand why - horror fans expect horror and they basically don't get any horror... you have some moments with zombies that fit "thriller" mode better than horror, and the "thriller" moments are even a rare event in what seems an episode of peaceful living. No wonder it's a huge disappointment to those expecting it to be horror.

GOT didn't start out as a horror show, not even with the first scene including zombies, but especially since S3, around the time of the RW and afterwards, they've used every trick in the horror book in every arc, except here it are people being each other's horror, including the most inane luck/bad luck. And they've dumbed down the characters progressively more and more for the horror plot. They're even using horror flick arguments - yeah, if you're dumb enough to travel to the Last House on the Left, then surely you'll end up raped... you can't have horror without a brainless girl going into the creepy cellar all by herself and of course something horrible will happen to her then, you can't have horror without a general making the stupidest tactical choices against a horror who is invincible, unkillable. And as horror goes, I can't say I find GOT that outstanding a show.

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

He has a long way to go after the very callous and very false comment that "no one cares about the prostitutes and other women getting raped and killed" (paraphrasing). Maybe he's throwing shade, I'm not even sure he is. If he is, it's a start, but I'll say it again, he has a veryyyyyy looooong way to go after that comment. :/

Yeah, wasn't very serious about it , I just take whatever I can get :/

All in all it's very stupid to ask actors about this sort of thing, and cowardly from D&D to hide behind them and let them answer for their stupidity.

Just now, HairGrowsBack said:

Also..they're not going to address Brienne failing Sansa, are they ?

They are not going to address jack. Addressing is for 8th graders.

Brienne saves the day! /last season was so last year

If Fansa is such a badass after the suicide jump to escape sexual slavery... Too bad her super powers didn't kick in last season, she could have avoided all of this. Then again, she wouldn't have a reason to get empowering rape revenge (so they killed her family, whatever).

5 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Yeah, wasn't very serious about it , I just take whatever I can get :/

All in all it's very stupid to ask actors about this sort of thing, and cowardly from D&D to hide behind them and let them answer for their stupidity.

I know, and I agree. I don't think we'll hear from Mr Benioff and/or Mr Weiss other than in an Outside the Episode, where they'll treat us to more of their... ehrm... "enlightened insights", and maybe a little something here and there in EWwwww. 

13 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Makes sense no? I only realized it because of my answer regarding the Jump the Shark moment for me - the same feeling of being manipulated as I felt when watching The Ring and Last House on the Left. It's that type of manipulation that turned me off from horror, except classics like Nosferatu or the first Scream that had fun with the "rules".

Mind you, I'm not saying aSoIaF is horror... George does mix in horror themes and elements, but without showing the horror, and he uses it sparingly (even if his books have a huge death count). Horror is only horror when it shows the horrific and usually a lot of it. It ain't horror, when it doesn't. Last night I ended up binge-watching Fear of the Walking Dead on AMC. As I said, I tend to avoid horror for a decade now. I didn't even realize I was watching Fear of the Walking Dead until several minutes in, and it wasn't the manipulative horror style for me, so that why I ended up binge-watchng it. I know it got a heap load of criticism. I can understand why - horror fans expect horror and they basically don't get any horror... you have some moments with zombies that fit "thriller" mode better than horror, and the "thriller" moments are even a rare event in what seems an episode of peaceful living. No wonder it's a huge disappointment to those expecting it to be horror.

GOT didn't start out as a horror show, not even with the first scene including zombies, but especially since S3, around the time of the RW and afterwards, they've used every trick in the horror book in every arc, except here it are people being each other's horror, including the most inane luck/bad luck. And they've dumbed down the characters progressively more and more for the horror plot. They're even using horror flick arguments - yeah, if you're dumb enough to travel to the Last House on the Left, then surely you'll end up raped... you can't have horror without a brainless girl going into the creepy cellar all by herself and of course something horrible will happen to her then, you can't have horror without a general making the stupidest tactical choices against a horror who is invincible, unkillable. And as horror goes, I can't say I find GOT that outstanding a show.

Martin is an outstanding writer of horror, both in ASOIAF, and in his other novels and short stories.  I think that Catelyn's last chapter is a classic piece of horror writing - the way he keeps turning up the tension, then relaxing it, then turning it up again.  Catelyn knows that there's something wrong, but can't tell what.  Catelyn's fears keep alternating with her hopes. 

Another thing is the way that Martin will mix horror in with romance and humour, rather than just giving us a relentless litany of brutality.

Archived