Rant and Rave without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers Part 2

WolfQueenArya

17 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I saw Iwan Rheon on an episode the British sitcom "Vicious" last night.  His character 'Ash' wanted to become an actor and he was told he would 'have to take his shirt off'.  I see on Wikipedia that he worked 'Vicious' and GOT during the same time frame so the 'take your shirt' off may have been a reference to GOT?  Ash was not inclined to remove his shirt however.  Pretty funny. 

Oh McKellen and Jacobi are hilarious! They're awesome, and so is Frances de la Tour. 

3 hours ago, Davros Seaworth said:

But the randomly change between being trained, being untrained and back again within the space of a few episodes/

I suppose that's more due to the fact that D&D can't decide whether Dany is a damsel in distress or a kickass heroine. ;)

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Oh McKellen and Jacobi are hilarious! They're awesome, and so is Frances de la Tour. 

Frances was pretty funny.  I'd only seen her in her role in Harry Potter so it was nice to see her doing something else.  McKellen, man, what a great voice he has, and he can be funny, too.   :)

My Jump the Shark moment. Mind you I had binge watched first 3 seasons before I read and reread and reread the books (and still rereading them). I wasn't even a book snob yet when those first 4 leaked episodes of S5 were around. By S4 some stuff was nagging me already, like Brienne fighting Sandor (I hadn't got to the second half of aSoS yet). Without knowing the book version, that was too much of a contrivance already, especially since Arya escaped. I was already wondering, "So, what was the point of this... creating angst and disappointment on purpose?" I expected to read something similar in the books, but hey that didn't happen. Then I knew the books were better written than the show for sure. But the point where I started to disengage from the show was when the Brute ordered Pod around at a campfire and Sansa and LF drove past in a carriage. The whole inn nonsense, fight and pursuit and LF's moronic arguments to Sansa as they look on Moat Cailin, and then Brienne telling Pod they'd just go around it.

After those 4 episodes I just watched some clips on youtube of S5 and read the live threads with comments of what happened. I didn't go looking for sources to watch S5 on the internet as a whole while I had to wait for half a year before it's on TV here in Belgium. My inner hype was over. I watched S5, while analysing books on the laptop. If I had forgotten to digi record an episode I shrugged my shoulders, and when S5 was over I deleted all the epis from digital memory. 

So the Jump the Shark Moment was the episode with Brienne-Pod-LF-Sansa mess in the RL. That's when I really started to regard their scripting as utterly manipulative, and my response to that type of obvious manipulation I dislike tremendously. That's where you know D&D will time and time again push for "finally justice/intelligence/safety" until you see it dangling right in front of you, only to smash it away. That's when I knew that Stannis was set up to fail by extreme plot contrivance, and why the Northern army will get whiped out, and Rickon dies the way the reddit spoiler describes.

Yes, GRRM can build hopes up too, only to sweep the rug from under your feet, but he does it sparingly and without going too far, and he also includes some form of revenge-justice as with Wyman Manderly. And he never fails to show the blacklash consequences for those who wiped out "hope". Ned Stark's death -> Robb hurting the Westerlands. Freys and Boltons doing the RW -> LS and Wyman Manderly and GNC and at least 2000 Freys gonna end up frozen and dead in the lake. In the books you know Brienne is on a pointless mission and will not meet Sansa and Arya... she does however finishes most of the remaining Bloody Mummers (in two separate incidents), finds Sandor and Stranger and realizes who Gendry must be. But the show wants to exploit the US feelings and then crash it, not just for the big moments, but with every character, and they don't do payback for the baddies, until the very very end. It's an overdone gimmick, and it tires me out, which is why I mainly stopped watching.

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

My Jump the Shark moment. Mind you I had binge watched first 3 seasons before I read and reread and reread the books (and still rereading them). I wasn't even a book snob yet when those first 4 leaked episodes of S5 were around. By S4 some stuff was nagging me already, like Brienne fighting Sandor (I hadn't got to the second half of aSoS yet). Without knowing the book version, that was too much of a contrivance already, especially since Arya escaped. I was already wondering, "So, what was the point of this... creating angst and disappointment on purpose?" I expected to read something similar in the books, but hey that didn't happen. Then I knew the books were better written than the show for sure. But the point where I started to disengage from the show was when the Brute ordered Pod around at a campfire and Sansa and LF drove past in a carriage. The whole inn nonsense, fight and pursuit and LF's moronic arguments to Sansa as they look on Moat Cailin, and then Brienne telling Pod they'd just go around it.

After those 4 episodes I just watched some clips on youtube of S5 and read the live threads with comments of what happened. I didn't go looking for sources to watch S5 on the internet as a whole while I had to wait for half a year before it's on TV here in Belgium. My inner hype was over. I watched S5, while analysing books on the laptop. If I had forgotten to digi record an episode I shrugged my shoulders, and when S5 was over I deleted all the epis from digital memory. 

So the Jump the Shark Moment was the episode with Brienne-Pod-LF-Sansa mess in the RL. That's when I really started to regard their scripting as utterly manipulative, and my response to that type of obvious manipulation I dislike tremendously. That's where you know D&D will time and time again push for "finally justice/intelligence/safety" until you see it dangling right in front of you, only to smash it away. That's when I knew that Stannis was set up to fail by extreme plot contrivance, and why the Northern army will get whiped out, and Rickon dies the way the reddit spoiler describes.

Yes, GRRM can build hopes up too, only to sweep the rug from under your feet, but he does it sparingly and without going too far, and he also includes some form of revenge-justice as with Wyman Manderly. And he never fails to show the blacklash consequences for those who wiped out "hope". Ned Stark's death -> Robb hurting the Westerlands. Freys and Boltons doing the RW -> LS and Wyman Manderly and GNC and at least 2000 Freys gonna end up frozen and dead in the lake. In the books you know Brienne is on a pointless mission and will not meet Sansa and Arya... she does however finishes most of the remaining Bloody Mummers (in two separate incidents), finds Sandor and Stranger and realizes who Gendry must be. But the show wants to exploit the US feelings and then crash it, not just for the big moments, but with every character, and they don't do payback for the baddies, until the very very end. It's an overdone gimmick, and it tires me out, which is why I mainly stopped watching.

That was great ;)

Larry and Carol:

"It's insane... Jaime goes on a trip to the Riverlands where they built the castle of Riverrun," he reveals. "Our crew built this whole massive drawbridge - just for an episode and a half... And it blew my mind."...

"She's at her scheming best," says Headey... "Everything that's thrown at her, every fuck-up she does, she gets stronger. She is driven by fury - it's pretty intense this year. And she's got Frankenstein as her right-hand man!"

13 minutes ago, Alayne's Shadow. said:

Only one episode and a half? That seems awfully short for the way the Riverlands plot should go, but then, why am I not surprised? He'll stay in KL till Episode6, then he'll teleport to Riverrun.

He won't need more than a few minutes to chuck that baby over the wall with a trebuchet. 

Netflix just gave me the possibility to watch outlander so I can make my own educated critical comparison between GOT and Outlander. (I did not saw it yet and I had to watch it because some of you convinced me it is great) Wish me a lot of fun!

52 minutes ago, Alayne's Shadow. said:

Only one episode and a half? That seems awfully short for the way the Riverlands plot should go, but then, why am I not surprised? He'll stay in KL till Episode6, then he'll teleport to Riverrun.

They only need it for a quick baby-in-a-trebuchet scene. That's all the Riverlands story for s 6. 

Ha, hadn't seen @Gabriele's post! 

My GoT "okay I'm done with this crap" moment was probably the season 4 finale (the Tyrion & Jaime goodbye really pissed me off). Unfortunately I got lured back into season 5 because I liked some of the promotional material (should have payed more attention for the stuff that was ridiculous there like the Jaime & Bronn Dorne trip) and wanted to give it another chance. :angry:

Now I will hide under my bed until season 6 is over for sure.

ETA:

Shark was jumped in Episode 4x10. Tyrion departing Jaime on good terms [...]

I see I have company there. :D

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

In the books you know Brienne is on a pointless mission and will not meet Sansa and Arya... she does however finishes most of the remaining Bloody Mummers (in two separate incidents), finds Sandor and Stranger and realizes who Gendry must be. 

I agree with a lot of what you say but I don't think we know AT ALL that Brienne will never find Sansa or Arya in the books. She hasn't found them yet, but that doesn't mean she will never find them (just like Dany hasn't come to Westeros yet but does anyone believe she will never come there?)

this is not for anyone in particular, but I'm surprised that so many people bore with the show for so long tbh. Looks like the majority of our R&R folks didn't come till s5 which is both a little surprising to me but also maybe a sign that the more D&D deviate from the books, the more even people who haven't read the books (yet) are noticing a drop in quality? But it does feel a bit lonely as a Jaime fan to see that apparently the sept scene didn't bother most people ;) Yes, Jaime and Cersei had sex next to Joffrey's body in the book as well, but the context of when/why it happened and how the scene (d)evolved were so different on the show that it was for me, a completely different scene (first & foremost that the sept sex wasn't their desperate and futile attempt to reconnect with each other after being apart for so long, and also their very last sex scene!).

My Shark moment was definitely the Jaime/Tyrion scene at the end of season 4. I tried to be really, really, really open minded with the show up to that point (forgiving the drastic changes they made to my favorite character on the show for one, because at least the way Sansa was presented in season 3 was somewhat consistent with the more passive character they had created in season 2 -- I wasn't happy with it but at least there was some cohesiveness). The Jaime/Tyrion thing was just so confusing because season 3 had set Jaime up perfectly for this scene and Tyrion in season 4 with the majority of his family plotting against him. It made everything that happened after feel so incoherent. And I even had unsullied coworkers tell me that the scene fell flat for them.

Consequently I haven't rewatched any of the show since season 4 aired. I think I rewatched season 4 itself when the DVD was released but that's it. Once your rose colored glasses come off for this show, there's no going back. And I know I will not be able to swallow down the treatment of Sansa or Catelyn (or Stannis for that matter) if I go back and rewatch.

Tijgy I am a big fan of Outlander and came out of that show really enjoying it and honestly not expecting to do so. So good luck and have fun. :D

17 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

this is not for anyone in particular, but I'm surprised that so many people bore with the show for so long tbh. Looks like the majority of our R&R folks didn't come till s5 which is both a little surprising to me but also maybe a sign that the more D&D deviate from the books, the more even people who haven't read the books (yet) are noticing a drop in quality? But it does feel a bit lonely as a Jaime fan to see that apparently the sept scene didn't bother most people ;) Yes, Jaime and Cersei had sex next to Joffrey's body in the book as well, but the context of when/why it happened and how the scene (d)evolved were so different on the show that it was for me, a completely different scene (first & foremost that the sept sex wasn't their desperate and futile attempt to reconnect with each other after being apart for so long, and also their very last sex scene!).

Oh, it did bother me, but since didn't care for the show since season 2 I wasn't surprised to find Yet Another Stupid Deviation from the books. ;)

6 hours ago, voodooqueen126 said:

It's like they lack the insight to imagine themselves in Sansa's situation. They've been in Tyrion's situation (every man has, even genuinely handsome ones), but failed to realise that it is Sansa's perspective that actually matters.

It's a subtly done chapter. Easily one of Martin's best written.

The sheer fact that they don't empathize with Sansa or have insight to her perspective is so incredibly troubling in and of itself and indicative of why AGoT is such a poorly written show

6 hours ago, Alayne's Shadow. said:

They just don't understand Sansa, which for me is just plain nasty. It's not that hard, it's right there in the books. It's written from HER perspective. I understand Tyrion's situation, but it's obvious the spotlight in the wedding itself is placed on Sansa's feelings, because she's the thirteen year old virgin being forced to the altar. She's the one that dreamt about it, with her father and her siblings. She doesn't want any Lannister, she wants Highgarden and children named Bran, Rickon and Arya. 

It's even worst when you put into perspective for this season. They don't understand Sansa or her fans, so they think putting her as a "Leader" and as a "General" will be satisfying, but I never expected Sansa to be a martial leader. That's one of the reasons I like her. She doesn't need a sword. 

Nor what the true Sansa would want to be as a leader, she wants to be loved not feared.  Making her a bad ass martial leader would be yet another complete misunderstanding of ASoIAF

Archived