Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

On 5/21/2016 at 8:04 AM, DarkSister1001 said:

I love the way Aurane worked her over.  She thinks she's so smart. 

Hes actually really freaking obvious about it too and she just eats it up like the cow she is. My gods. Hes so obvious, its painful. 

On 5/21/2016 at 10:08 AM, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Aurane is the best thing of book 4. Also, it's a bit sad whenever Cersei is daydreaming about him, but hilarious at the same time :lol: 

Indeed. And how she thinks Taena is super loyal. (i theorize shes actually a spy for Doran)

The Aurane Waters bit that kills me is when they receive the [false, of course] report from White Harbor that Davos Seaworth has been beheaded, and one of the jabronis Cersei's stuffed the Small Council with (I think it's Swyft?) says "so he's dead then?"

And Waters just cuts him up with "I'm no maester, but I understand cutting off the head is often fatal." [Translation:  "You Fucking Moron."]

I think he also makes a joke about how now Stannis is going to need to find a Turnip Knight and the same idiot just doesn't get the reference.

I want to believe it was at this point that Waters decided he needed to bail on that council before he caught Terminal Idiocy from the rest of them.

And then he gets funding approved to build a whole brand new navy which he promptly absconds with to go be a pirate. :lmao:

Best Dude.

3 hours ago, Salad Days Saan said:

Man.  Kinda wish Waters had been included in the show. :(

Too late now, with where they've advanced in the plot.

No worries, Bran can just travel back in time and f@$k with his head. 

14 hours ago, Salad Days Saan said:

Man.  Kinda wish Waters had been included in the show. :(

Too late now, with where they've advanced in the plot.

yeah same. Aurane Waters has always been one of my favorite minor characters. Such a little shit disturber! 

Aww man, Aurane Waters is so great. I didn't even realise how much I appreciated him until you all started showing the love. Hope that guy does really frigging well in this story. And I hope we hear at some point his real opinion of Cersei and her lackeys.

Can you imagine the amount of eye-rolls the guy must have had to suppress?

I can't reread without constantly thinking about what certain characters should be doing besides what they're actually doing. I'm looking at you Catelyn and Ned!

4th or 5th reread, I still can't keep the books apart. When I see posts about this book or that book, especially the acronyms, it throws me off. It's just one long story for me. 

Danny's chapters are the most boring, and honestly kind of weird sometimes.

"The painted leather burst into sudden flame as she skipped closer to the fire, her breasts bare to the blaze, streams of milk flowing from her red and swollen nipples. Now, she thought, now, and for an instant she glimpsed Khal Drogo before her, mounted on his smoky stallion, a flaming lash in his hand."

I wish Drogo had survived the Mother of dragons a bit longer.

I think someone's helping Arya by planting visions, thoughts and words in her head while she's awake. We know this can be done with the Dragon glass candles and dreams, but I think Arya's Starkness makes her more open (like Bran) to someone infiltrating her thoughts, and I think someone has. 

"Calm as still water, a small voice whispered in her ear. Arya was so startled she almost dropped her bundle. She looked around wildly, but there was no one in the stable but her, and the horses, and the dead men."

I hope Arya hooks up with Gendry, fulfilling one of King Robert's last wishes to merge House Baratheon and House Stark. 

I think it's important that Ned feels remorse over what he promised his sister, as if he broke that promise somehow. But if R+L=J ... I can't make it fit because as far as Ned is concerned, Jon is safe. He's even up at the wall with his brother Benjen. It makes me wonder how Ned broke his promise, and what it means about Jon, or some other secret for that matter.

“When he slept, he dreamed: dark disturbing dreams of blood and broken promises.”

I do still think R+L=J is the most likely out of all scenarios. 

I think Tyrion is really bad at reading people, understanding their true motives, because of his experience with Tysha / Tywin / Jaime. He read her true, but was convinced she was a fraud because of what his big brother told him. Because of this, the rest of his life (he was 13 at the time btw) he has a really hard time trusting or understanding people unless they lay it out clear as day, which fits a bit with him being horrible at judging someone's age. That and he doesn't know when to keep his big mouth shut. (See my first sentence) 

ASOIAF is maybe the most quotable book I've ever read. (edit -Bookssss - see what I mean?)

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge."

2 hours ago, erra said:

I can't reread without constantly thinking about what certain characters should be doing besides what they're actually doing. I'm looking at you Catelyn and Ned!

4th or 5th reread, I still can't keep the books apart. When I see posts about this book or that book, especially the acronyms, it throws me off. It's just one long story for me. 

Danny's chapters are the most boring, and honestly kind of weird sometimes.

"The painted leather burst into sudden flame as she skipped closer to the fire, her breasts bare to the blaze, streams of milk flowing from her red and swollen nipples. Now, she thought, now, and for an instant she glimpsed Khal Drogo before her, mounted on his smoky stallion, a flaming lash in his hand."

I wish Drogo had survived the Mother of dragons a bit longer.

I think someone's helping Arya by planting visions, thoughts and words in her head while she's awake. We know this can be done with the Dragon glass candles and dreams, but I think Arya's Starkness makes her more open (like Bran) to someone infiltrating her thoughts, and I think someone has. 

"Calm as still water, a small voice whispered in her ear. Arya was so startled she almost dropped her bundle. She looked around wildly, but there was no one in the stable but her, and the horses, and the dead men."

I hope Arya hooks up with Gendry, fulfilling one of King Robert's last wishes to merge House Baratheon and House Stark. 

I think it's important that Ned feels remorse over what he promised his sister, as if he broke that promise somehow. But if R+L=J ... I can't make it fit because as far as Ned is concerned, Jon is safe. He's even up at the wall with his brother Benjen. It makes me wonder how Ned broke his promise, and what it means about Jon, or some other secret for that matter.

“When he slept, he dreamed: dark disturbing dreams of blood and broken promises.”

I do still think R+L=J is the most likely out of all scenarios. 

I think Tyrion is really bad at reading people, understanding their true motives, because of his experience with Tysha / Tywin / Jaime. He read her true, but was convinced she was a fraud because of what his big brother told him. Because of this, the rest of his life (he was 13 at the time btw) he has a really hard time trusting or understanding people unless they lay it out clear as day, which fits a bit with him being horrible at judging someone's age. That and he doesn't know when to keep his big mouth shut. (See my first sentence) 

ASOIAF is maybe the most quotable book I've ever read. (edit -Bookssss - see what I mean?)

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge."

I think there's sufficient evidence to suspect that Bloodraven was guiding Nymeria, and giving Arya a helping hand. 

Joking the Aurane Waters love here. He's great. I think one of the good things about Cersei's arc in AFFC (which I enjoy because it is so OTT that it's funny, though I understand this is the very reason others don't like it) is the cast of supporting characters. They don't get a lot of time individually, but I think they are all very entertaining in one way or another. The Smallest Council scenes are hilarious.

On the topic of non-POV characters, I love the Reeds, but Meera especially. I love that she is so important to their group; without her they would probably not have survived at all to reach Bloodraven's cave. And I love the stories she and the others tell each other. Not going to lie, if she dies I'm going to be crushed inside. Jojen will be a tough death to handle too, but he has had "I'm going to die" written all over him since he was introduced ("This is not the day I die..." Great, so we will be seeing the day you die then). I'm holding out hope for her survival.

^^Not quoting you because it will show what's in the spoiler tag. 

I've avoided Season 6 as much as I can.  I've unsubscribed to several YouTube channels just so I won't potentially be spoiled by their episode reviews, whether it be by title name or picture(s).  Mind you, I'll probably subscribe back to them once Winds comes out, but until then... 

I've also been coming to the forums a lot less lately.  I've checked a few notifications, but I just made my first comment in ~2 weeks.  I'll probably soon fizzle out and not return to the forums until Winds comes out. 

Yeah,  not being spoiled is important to me too. :D

I confess that kind of like Randyll Tarly.  Don't get me wrong he unforgivable horrible to Sam and his treatment of Brienne is also horrendous.  However, in many ways he is interesting and compelling character.  For example, you have the fact how he appears to be completely loyal to Mace Tyrell despite Mace's habit of attempting to steal Tarly's accomplishments.  His accomplishments also pretty admirable how he is one of the most respect soldiers and commanders in the realm which is quite an accomplishment in a martial society like Westeros.  Next, while his punishments are harsh one has to respect that he is one of the few lords trying to restore order in war torn lands of Westeros.  Finally, I just like how he seems to be one of the more realistic antagonist characters in that while an asshole he still isn't a complete monster like Gregor, Ramsay, or Euron.  Honestly, he somewhat comes off to me as blue-collar (despite being a noble) Tywin whereas Tywin was accomplished in politics Randyll is accomplished in direct warfare.

Don't like Lyanna. She's unbearable and hypocritical. For example, how can sleep with another women's husband if your opposed to cheating in marriages? (i'm assuming her and Rhaegar had a consensual relationship)

I'm also secretly rooting for Euron. An intelligent, handsome version of Ramsay who can use magic - he's the perfect villain! We've been in desperate need of one since Tywin died. Cersei and Ramsay are just stupid to the point of it being funny, and Walder and Roose barley get 5 minutes of attention.

On May 31, 2016 at 9:42 PM, Isobel Harper said:

^^Not quoting you because it will show what's in the spoiler tag. 

I've avoided Season 6 as much as I can.  I've unsubscribed to several YouTube channels just so I won't potentially be spoiled by their episode reviews, whether it be by title name or picture(s).  Mind you, I'll probably subscribe back to them once Winds comes out, but until then... 

I've also been coming to the forums a lot less lately.  I've checked a few notifications, but I just made my first comment in ~2 weeks.  I'll probably soon fizzle out and not return to the forums until Winds comes out. 

Yeah,  not being spoiled is important to me too. :D

I was going to go this route but figured it would necessitate unplugging from the internet. Instead, I consider everything in the show to be akin to rumors form the other side of the world - there is some level of truth in them, but we don't know what or which.  It seems like a good working relationship with the show. We can read the tea leaves and guess what might be similar, but we can't know for sure. 

How's the "ignore the show" thing going for you?

45 minutes ago, LmL said:

I was going to go this route but figured it would necessitate unplugging from the internet. Instead, I consider everything in the show to be akin to rumors form the other side of the world - there is some level of truth in them, but we don't know what or which.  It seems like a good working relationship with the show. We can read the tea leaves and guess what might be similar, but we can't know for sure. 

How's the "ignore the show" thing going for you?

Some things are actually a biiiiit helpful. Like, for example

Spoiler

Theon returning to the Iron Islands.

I always thought this would happen in books, and maybe it will if D&d are following just milestones.

Archived