[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Would she just stop.  Sandor was on her side and rooting for her. He protected her and saved her over and over again. And right, Tyrion is on her side, forcibly marrying her, she herself said that was "the worst day of Sansa's life." She's just making shit up..

It's like a GOT virus, even the actors who at one time understood their characters, no longer have clue one, they simply mouth whatever they're told, whether it even relates to the scripts they are reading or not.

Boss.ass.bitch afraid to cross a creek because water is cold.  

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

I have to admit I don't like the versions of many of the watered down TV show characters.  But then I don't like the AFFC and ADWD versions of many of the characters I liked in the first three books either.

I just hope the show starts killing off these characters sooner rather than later.  The last two books introduced so many pointless, poorly fleshed out, unbelievable insufferable characters in the last two books I really hope the show doesn't introduce them and make them even worse.  They've already done it with the Sand Snakes and Yaya (Asha, who is also a complete waste of paper in the books, why George? Why?!).  I hate to think what they're going to do with Euron.  That said they've done a decent job with Daario in the show who is far superior to the book version.  So there is the smallest glimmer of hope........

Yeah yeah, you only care about the ending, same old, same old. I wonder why they didn't have a time jump after the first season, since the journey doesn't matter at all, they might as well wrap it all up in 2 seasons and a movie.

Anyway, this is not the book-bashing thread. If you don't have anything else to criticize about the show, which is now entirely on its own with only D&D to blame for each and every misstep on the way, then you'd do well to move on.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's like a GOT virus, even the actors who at one time understood their characters, no longer have clue one, they simply mouth whatever they're told, whether it even relates to the scripts they are reading or not.

I'd actually defend this; While I agree with your statement, but the job, and only job, of an actor is to do as the director says. If he says "say >your sister< instead of >only cat<" then the actor should do that. It is stupid, but that is the point of a director. The writer makes the story and the director may change it if it suits him or the scene better.

It is awful when actors do what they think is best for a character. It is not their job to create and change who they play, they are slaves to the story and should only do what the script and director say. 

I have seen that a lot of times when this went horribly wrong, when actors thought they knew the character better than the guy who wrote the character.

10 minutes ago, Metopheles said:

I'd actually defend this; While I agree with your statement, but the job, and only job, of an actor is to do as the director says. If he says "say >your sister< instead of >only cat<" then the actor should do that. It is stupid, but that is the point of a director. The writer makes the story and the director may change it if it suits him or the scene better.

It is awful when actors do what they think is best for a character. It is not their job to create and change who they play, they are slaves to the story and should only do what the script and director say. 

I have seen that a lot of times when this went horribly wrong, when actors thought they knew the character better than the guy who wrote the character.

To keep with Sophie's example.  What she says about Sansa is not reflected in the script.  At All.  Forget her acting, but these things are not in the show.

Show Sansa has not manipulated anyone, so when Sophie says she's learned and is now able to manipulated people...this is not in the show...and since it's exactly what she said last year about Sansa, she wasn't going to be a victim she was going to take control..but what we saw on screen was Show Sansa manipulated by LF, abused by Ramsay, abandoned by Brienne, and then, as she tells Myranda to go ahead and kill her, Theon jumps in saves her, leads her  up the stairs and jumps.  She's still led around by others.  It's hard to take her seriously.  Her character was afraid to cross a creek, that is a person who is too stupid to manipulate Hodor.

The plain fact is that most of what the show..actors, directors, showrunners say about the show is not reflected in what is actually IN the show anymore.

17 minutes ago, Fat Pink Master said:

Yeah yeah, you only care about the ending, same old, same old. I wonder why they didn't have a time jump after the first season, since the journey doesn't matter at all, they might as well wrap it all up in 2 seasons and a movie.

Anyway, this is not the book-bashing thread. If you don't have anything else to criticize about the show, which is now entirely on its own with only D&D to blame for each and every misstep on the way, then you'd do well to move on.

Now I only care about the ending.  Because I want resolution after 16 years of waiting from ASOS!  The last two books are as bad as anything the show has done (and that's no mean achievement at times) so I have given up caring about the journey.  There is no doubt in my mind the show has got worse as the season's have gone by but that is because the source material has gotten worse too.

My biggest gripe towards the show is they have a load of pointless characters in the source material and yet they've introduced even more.....from the very beginning.  The single biggest travesty in the entire show is still Ros (or whatever the hell her name was!)!

Getting back on topic, I thought the first episode of season six would've been OK had it not been for anything Dorne.  I get the logic behind it and it cuts an awful lot of bloat from the books but the characters are just so awful in the show.  They're bad enough in the books but in the show they come across as psychopathic loons.  The other cringeworthy moment was Mormont find the ring.  Love to know what the odds on that was!  Tyrion & Varys were pretty dull.

40 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

And rape made her "hard" and want men to "get their comeuppance" but they used the "hardened woman" excuse to get her raped in the first place. So which is it, she's hard before and hard after, and now, well, who needs men. She's a teenager, dreaming of a certain man's kiss in the books. But no, she and Brienne swear to be good to each other, and she believes it. May I remind her, they just met once briefly, when she turned her away. So that's the lesson she learned...

So the two stories so many wanted to see were Sansa and the Hound, and Jaime and Brienne. And instead they are giving us Sansa and Brienne, and Jaime and Cersei.

3 hours ago, bemused said:

My dear Fellow Ranters,

The things I liked best about last night were the ...

Please be careful with mushrooms.

I was catching up from the forum issues when I got to your gem here.

Yes! This is beautiful :cheers:

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

To keep with Sophie's example.  What she says about Sansa is not reflected in the script.  At All.  Forget her acting, but these things are not in the show.

Show Sansa has not manipulated anyone, so when Sophie says she's learned and is now able to manipulated people...this is not in the show...and since it's exactly what she said last year about Sansa, she wasn't going to be a victim she was going to take control..but what we saw on screen was Show Sansa manipulated by LF, abused by Ramsay, abandoned by Brienne, and then, as she tells Myranda to go ahead and kill her, Theon jumps in saves her, leads her  up the stairs and jumps.  She's still led around by others.  It's hard to take her seriously.  Her character was afraid to cross a creek, that is a person who is too stupid to manipulate Hodor.

The plain fact is that most of what the show..actors, directors, showrunners say about the show is not reflected in what is actually IN the show anymore.

I agree with that.

I seem to remember Sophie referring to the late s4 scenes when she talks to the vale lords as manipulating and playing the game. She kinda tried to manipulate the Boltons and friends in s5, mind you I watched it only once, when she congratulates Walda and tries to play Ramsay, but yeah, obviously it all wasn't really working. If she tried to manipulate them, or set out thinking they might be manipulateable like Joffrey (as Marg did with the crossbow scene) then she miscalculated that. You would need to see when the interview was done... Anyway, the actors are all either boobs or acting like it, either because HBO told them what to say(99% sure), or they just do it for clicks, pr, popularity. These are young actors or those who aren't filthy rich, so they are driven by money. I would say what they say if I would get more cheddar by that. When was the last time anyone ever said something clever and true in an interview anyway? They all just say what people want to hear at that moment and what would give them the most money and popularity out of it.

As if any of the celebrities last year cared a dime if Scotland left the UK or not, but because of their opinion they got popularity and shit.

2 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

And rape made her "hard" and want men to "get their comeuppance" but they used the "hardened woman" excuse to get her raped in the first place. So which is it, she's hard before and hard after, and now, well, who needs men. She's a teenager, dreaming of a certain man's kiss in the books. But no, she and Brienne swear to be good to each other, and she believes it. May I remind her, they just met once briefly, when she turned her away. So that's the lesson she learned...

Yeah, she was hard last year when she got to Winterfell, LOL.  You're right ST talks out her a**, it doesn't even matter whether she makes it up or the show gives her the outlines.  Empowered Sansa is still MIA, she never showed in season 5, and if anything boss.ass.bitch Sansa is weakest we've yet seen her, literally can do nothing for herself now:  can't cross the creek, can't go on, can't decide about Bri until Theon gives the nod, can't remember her lines without Pod.

But, you can put money on it, that we will see Lip Gloss Sansa next episode throwing boss.ass.bitch. shade at somebody.  

Hello Ranters!!!!!!!!!!

My n1 rant for 6 is for......................................DORNE!! FUCKING dorne!!! Fellaria!!!!!!! Amazing comedy, just perfection!!And The Sand Snakes, my idols!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown::bowdown: They will rule Dorne!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

n2. I laughed a lot with Brienne!!!!!! But, I'm ok with her because she is just super brute and perfect....she comes to save the day...

n3. And Pod has learned a lot from her :) (not really a rant)

n4. Tyrion and Varys were booooring................

n5. Ser Alliser Speech

no more rants for me........I enjoyed Cersei a lot, actually, and Jaime....well....he needs time. He is not as smart than Book Jaime....but as soon as he finds SuperBrienne he will fall in love with her

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, she was hard last year when she got to Winterfell, LOL.  You're right ST talks out her a**, it doesn't even matter whether she makes it up or the show gives her the outlines.  Empowered Sansa is still MIA, she never showed in season 5, and if anything boss.ass.bitch Sansa is weakest we've yet seen her, literally can do nothing for herself now:  can't cross the creek, can't go on, can't decide about Bri until Theon gives the nod, can't remember her lines without Pod.

But, you can put money on it, that we will see Lip Gloss Sansa next episode throwing boss.ass.bitch. shade at somebody.  

Yep. Doesn't quite hold up to what's on screen, does it. Boss Ass Bitch ahead, because, lip gloss and snark.

Oh, and her latest in a line of fleeting besties, Brienne, is going to leave her in a few episodes.

Sooner or later, everyone else goes off to their own story. But Fansa never gets to be Sansa.

44 minutes ago, Metopheles said:

I agree with that.

I seem to remember Sophie referring to the late s4 scenes when she talks to the vale lords as manipulating and playing the game. She kinda tried to manipulate the Boltons and friends in s5, mind you I watched it only once, when she congratulates Walda and tries to play Ramsay, but yeah, obviously it all wasn't really working. If she tried to manipulate them, or set out thinking they might be manipulateable like Joffrey (as Marg did with the crossbow scene) then she miscalculated that. You would need to see when the interview was done... Anyway, the actors are all either boobs or acting like it, either because HBO told them what to say(99% sure), or they just do it for clicks, pr, popularity. These are young actors or those who aren't filthy rich, so they are driven by money. I would say what they say if I would get more cheddar by that. When was the last time anyone ever said something clever and true in an interview anyway? They all just say what people want to hear at that moment and what would give them the most money and popularity out of it.

As if any of the celebrities last year cared a dime if Scotland left the UK or not, but because of their opinion they got popularity and shit.

As I recall the only earnest efforts she made to control the situation was being polite when she first arrived (basic courtesy really) and telling Ramsay his claim to the dreadfort is in jeopardy. Considering that since then Roose has been lamp-shading that fact constantly, she's certainly not responsible for whatever comes from that. 

If we are talking about before winterfell then the only thing she did was lie to the Vale Lords about LF, which helped him, not her and indirectly contributed to her later being raped.

Considering her track record for manipulation, Sansa is absolutely shit at playing the game. 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

.Boss.ass.bitch afraid to cross a creek because water is cold.  

Well, this is a shock. I thought one of the requirements to become a certified Boss Ass Bitch was to complete a stint in winter warfare training.

1 hour ago, Neds Secret said:

It needs to be put to music, it should be the opening score on the show now!

Well thanks for that.

I always thought the Yakety Sax would be a good opening theme song.

For some reason, I can just imagine Benny Hill, dressed up as a Dothraki, chasing a scantily clad Dany around the Dothraki sea.

As much as I despise what the show has become, I still love the opening.  

Although I kind of wished they switched it to the ode of someone with the intelligence of who they think their target audience is (note:  not calling people who like the show dumb.  Saying the writing is written so stupidly).

6 hours ago, Toth said:

Thank goodness, this forum is back again!  I made good on my promise. I pushed the screen-lighting to max and watched the fucking episode while making notes. Fun fact: I effectively resisted spoiling myself too much from looking into the forums. I watched it unspoiled with the exception of the leaks, therefore my musings will likely a repitition of stuff that other people also have already put into more eloquent words.

Here I go...

Notes of Thrones

Episode 1:

­- can’t get over the fact that „Sunspear“ is called „Dorne” in the opening

- okay... do I get this straight? Olly and his gang killed the Lord Commander and then all collectively went to go get a drink (or a juice) at Molestown? Just leaving Jon’s corpse laying there, not even bothering to make sure he doesn’t rise as a Wight? Oh, and of course there are no sentries at all especially after the last Wildling attack had come from the south. Speaking of which, this tiny fucking castle even at such an hour should be full of people. After all, where went all those numerous Wildings Jon ferried to north of the wall to make them walk to Castle Black instead of doing the sensible thing and leave a third at Eastwatch.

- at least they acknowledged Ghost’s existence and retconned him to being locked away. At last!

- Wait, Davos spent the night just sitting there near an open door, apparently moping about Stannis, and it took him some faint rattling sound made by Ghost to realize something happened? He didn’t care for all the bustling commotion from last episode or what?

- okay, fine, NOW there suddenly are a couple of random good NW brothers who accompany Edd. Good job guy! And good eyes! I can barely see anything, but you saw it was the LC from afar, even though you missed all his murderers

- damn cliché with the eyes... and for some reason, I wanted Edd to say “Fuckin’ Olly”

- oh great, Mel, remind me that Davos is a Ser in the show, and never was made a Lord Hand for his honesty...

- oh, there everyone is! Including an Olly reaction shot. Where did I leave that fucking Bingo card? Apparently there is a huge commotion that was summoned. Well, they invited everyone except Edd and the random good guys. And nobody saw Jon lying in the middle of the yard on their way there?

- Davos owes his life to Jon? What? And where the fuck are the Wildlings? “We don’t have the numbers” my ass, there should be a fuckton of Wildlings around who could cower all non-conspirators into neutrality while they murder Olly and his lackeys. But apperently Beardy and his guys are all sent... somewhere else... instead of the severely undermanned and perfectly hospitable castle they have at hand

- Ramsay Sue mourning about Harley Quinn. I can’t even... Oh, and this is storyline two in which I barely can see a thing

- yeah, all this cavalry you pulled out of your ass was very impressive

- NOW Roose realizes he went up against the Lannisters. And by the way, this Lannister fanboyism in the writing makes me angry as hell. Yeah sure, a Lannister army is so awesome they aren’t faced by Blizzards at all. No, those pesky Baratheons with a moron like Stannis at their head can’t even compare to them

- oh right, Theon’s plan is to hijack Batfinger’s teleporter and escape to Castle Black on foot. Sounds reasonable... pity there is no winning Baratheon army around

- BRIENNE SMASH! I admit... the fighting choreography is not all that bad. Considering how low it got in the South, I’m actually kinda grateful at that

- has anyone realized as what a manly man the brodudes are framing Podrick? Not only does he turn into a sexmachine who literally fucks the brains out of a couple of sexworkers, now he’s also a badass killer!

- well, at least until Theon comes killstealing, anyway

- now it gets interesting. I can see Sansa being grateful for the immediate rescue and then asking for what the fuck she was thinking the last time she picked up a random fight against her protectors. This execution was not quite as terrible as expected, but of course they don’t address any reasonable doubts Sansa has in Brienne’s sense of judgement. And while I can’t blame her for garbling this oath of fealty under the cicumstances, I question the decision to make Pod being the one to correct her. If they really went for Sansa being all ‘empoweredment’ (barf), they should have shown her at first confused and then remembering some fitting words on her own. After all, etiquette as well as thinking on her toes when it comes to acts of courtesy are the real Sansa’s strengths.

- dear god am I happy to see Carol. I immediately tensed upon thinking now we would get to Porne...

- Oh, and look how happy she is as well! Myrcella, all her thoughts being about Myrcella, not about her trial or anything.

- And since when the fuck did the Red Keep has its own harbor? Why all the bother with marching through the riots in season 2 when there is a perfectly safe harbor where Carol can walk to all alone?

- Carol musing about her daughter, getting framed again as a perfectly relatable mother. How awesome! Cersei wouldn’t be mourning, she would be furious, swearing vengeance and promising to tear down all of Dorne. Or at least state how much Myrcella looked like her, not make it something on her own. And I don’t know who the fuck NCW is playing, but it sure as hell isn’t Jaime. But who cares for character development anyway?

- Septa Spoonella! Yay! Can’t say anything about the High Grandpa’s speech about purity, since I have like totally forgotten what the hell the charges of Marg in the show were anyway. I thought it was all about her brother being gay... and it sure as hell can’t be about her own ‘purity’ as a wedded queen who slept with her mentally challenged husband.

- oh, fucking Dorne... and since Larry didn’t do the sensible thing and fucking turned his ship around, he is now all cosy with Faullaria and tells her story in how envious he was of Oberyn and that he liked to be such a manly man as he was! Fucking nonsense... but oh well, who cares for two brothers who got along splendidly and adjusted their respective public images to complement each other in every aspect when you can instead drive the point home that there is only one right kind of man: The horny, sexual promiscuous as well as violent and dangerous kind. And what is with those who don’t fit? Ah, who cares about those fucking nerds with their fucking books?

- I really don’t want to think about which fucking way this letter had to go due to Jaime’s incompetence...

- most lousy guards, ever... and yay, drive the point home about how much Doran doesn’t conform to stereotypical orient expectations and therefore is violently loathed even by his own guards. Sounds reasonable... especially after his talk about keeping them prosperous and happy instead of, you know, going on a disastrous revenge-campaign Dorne can’t possibly win. And I’m not even trying to think about the implications of the repercussions to Dorne through the extinction of the Martell line. Sure as hell the brodudes didn’t either. This storyline now will get ‘aborted’ in the most literal sense, with everyone pretending that Dorne doesn’t exist from now on. Nothing to see! Just sand and rocks! Nothing to see at all!

- that greedy bitch spared us from another scene of snake-fu, you know that? At least I am fucking grateful for that much. And Larry truly is the worst bodyguard ever... wait, the scene looks like they killed him when arriving at KL... I keep that in mind for later.

- Saint Tyrion, you are being in idiot. You are not looking like a merchant, you are looking like a dwarf! The actual Tyrion would never let us forget that.

- Mocking Varys for his lack of cock, very tasteful jape, especially with the addition of the crude writing

- yeah, religion is a problem, good thing that Saint Tyrion shares the views of D&D, right?

- let me guess, now comes Tyrion the dragontamer?

- oh no, forgot, Drogon is sleepy. Instead the Ds track back and burn Dany’s ships they had introduced to skip the Victarion’s storyline, now that they re-include the Iron Isles

- oh gosh, the Daario brothers... seeing the repercussions of a Dothraki horde slicing through the countryside would have been better with the really tall grass from season 1

- they fucking found the ring... I am sure many LOTR-jokes were already made, so I keep it to myself

- oh great, Dany is shown to be a ‘Strong Woman’(TM) by staring at the guy whipping her in a vaguely smug manner. Yeah, great job. Even though we all would like to not having her in this position at all.

- since when do Dothraki need the permission of their Khal to rape someone? Did anyone remember season 1? Anyone? They could have written it in a way that makes the Khal claiming her for himself, a quite rational thing considering how crazy Drogo was about Valyrian women. But oh no, making them talk about rape all the time makes it sound more gritty, eh?

- I... really can’t grasp any of the expressions Emilia does. Really, I have no idea what the fuck they are supposed to mean. Being vaguely annoyed? Being gasping for breath? Considering her acting in season 1, I am content to blame the headless directing, but it sure paint her in a bad light.

- oh, and since when do Khal’s have a harem? Or was Drogo the monogamous exception? Ah well, I guess they can throw something like this in at any time.

- seriously, considering the Khal could reasonably expect all of her words to be baseless lies due to him never having seen her before, his belief in her being Drogo’s wife doesn’t make an inch of sense. Why even put her in this position? And why not coming up with something remotely believable, like claiming tanned bearded guy #5 is one of Drogo’s bloodriders. Like the fucker Dany actually met in the books! And who sure as hell is already burned to crisp in Dany’s Winds chapter 1!

- THIS is Braavos? What the fuck happened to channels? Ah, why do I even bother?

- this completely unmotivated fight scene would have become very awkward if anyone actually wanted to use that stupid road and squeezed along them. And believing to know which scene they wanted to ‘adapt’ with this nonsense makes it just so much worse. Really, this entire ‘waif’ character hurts me like hell. She should be Ai Haibara from Detective Conan, but instead she’s as unmotivated a bully as Ambrose of the Kingkiller Chronicles

- ah, now they remember that getting Jon’s corpse would be a good idea. Come to think of it, why the hell do they even defend his body? For all they know he could fucking raise at every moment, blue eyes and everything! It all makes sense because the Ds wanted it to happen.

- Meli-sans-bra popping her boobs. Seriously, where did I leave that fucking bingo card? And really, Carice’s morose expression perfectly mirrors my own.

- not even going into detail regarding the idiocy of this ‘twist’, what an idiotic thing for Melisandre to just do!

Oh that’s it. I somehow survived it with my sanity intact. Ranting while at it surely helps, even though I wasted one and a half hour of my life watching this episode. Final musings: Balon is still fucking alive! And Davos seems to be only in team Jon by default of being a sympathetic character the audience recognizes. And for some reason I expect Faullaria and the Sand Fakes to just drop dead next episode, with everyone involved pretending Porne never happened. I wouldn’t put it past them...

... speaking of the Sand Fakes. Did I get this straight... they were last seen standing with Faullaria at the docks, waving the ship goodbye. This means, shortly after them being confused about Faullaria’s poison plan, they for some reason decided to swim to the boat and actually reach it, then wait until it arrives at KL and then murder Tryskebab (let me hug whoever came up with that) and swim back to Dorne or something? And all of this directly under the nose of Larry? This doesn’t make any... ah, why do I even bother?

Excellent, I wish you were reviewing for a news outlet or something, really nice work!

So basically, rape made Show!Sansa scarred for life. She no longer imagines her life with boys. Well, at least I hope that's enough for her not to sleep with Littlefinger. I'm guessing if the show goes on this route, Sansa will probably end up unmarried. I'm guessing this is probably the way the show will go. As for the rest, well, if most of this isn't honey-potting, then I don't know. I especially dislike the whole "Take away the stigma", because it was never about the rape in itself and the subject in itself. It was the stupidity of the situation, artificially created only to shock the audience.  

Archived