Tower of Joy is next episode.

Ingelheim

1 hour ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

According to people with more experience and knowledge than me about swords and fighting, double-sword fighting didn't exist in the times that inspired ASOIAF. Before you say "but it's tv", remember that D&d have said they want to keep "realism".

Either way, ToJ without the political context of Rhaegar, Arthur, Gregor, etc.. .it's not ToJ.

Double sword fighting never existed in any serios fight. What did exist was fighting with one sword and a special "defense" dagger.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

The fighting is completly non realistic in Game of Thrones anyway. It starts with the weapons. All made from stainless steel. Even the freefolk yield shiny weapons when they should have only sticks and stones and a rusty sword here and there. Nobody is wearing their helmets. People in knights armor are simply cut with swords (not possible). Yeah, it's tv. Nothing else.

14 hours ago, Xarkar said:

Ice, Longclaw, Dagger used to try and kill Bran, Oathkeeper, Widows Wail,

Also, keep in mind Dawn is not a Valyrian steel sword.  It is the sword forged out of a fallen star.

Oh and according to the Wiki "Joffery read about Dawn in season 4 when reading about Arthur Dayne.

So basically just ICE and Longclaw.  I don't count Oathkeeper and Widows Wail so much because they are just ICE reforged.

I don't hold out much hope for Dawn, simply because in the grand scheme of the story, It doesn't hold much significance (that we know of).  Hard for me to believe they will spend much of their budget on a sword that has no impact to the story.  I can understand ICE and Longclaw (as they both have long-term effects to the plot), but Dawn, not so much.  Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on seeing it.

2 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

According to people with more experience and knowledge than me about swords and fighting, double-sword fighting didn't exist in the times that inspired ASOIAF. Before you say "but it's tv", remember that D&d have said they want to keep "realism".

Have they? That's cute. Almost as cute as GRRM, explaining why he chose to make his dragons bipedal: because In Real World, there were no animals with four legs and wings. So he wrote that huge black flying beast, able to swallow an aurochs with one bite, breathing fire so hot that it melts iron and stone, but at least it doesn't have four legs, because there are no creatures like that. B)

Let's not pay too much attention when one says "realism" in the context of "Game of Thrones".

22 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

So basically just ICE and Longclaw.  I don't count Oathkeeper and Widows Wail so much because they are just ICE reforged.

I don't hold out much hope for Dawn, simply because in the grand scheme of the story, It doesn't hold much significance (that we know of).  Hard for me to believe they will spend much of their budget on a sword that has no impact to the story.  I can understand ICE and Longclaw (as they both have long-term effects to the plot), but Dawn, not so much.  Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on seeing it.

No! As somebody else pointed out. Dark Sister was mentioned as well. Maybe others as well.

Reg. Dawn:
It blows the theory that Dawn is Lightbringer out of the room. Well, some theories will die during that season. It is unavoidable.
Budget? I'm sure the have some swords lying around there. Take one and paint it white or lightgrey. Done.
Continuity? Dawn is mentioned in the show. It shows furthermore the lack of caring for details.
Realism? Somebody fighting with two swords? If it is well done, I take that comment back. We'll see

9 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Really? I thought she was good. What was that you didn't like about her? That she seems older than Ned or her looks? Not enough looking like Jon or Arya.

Both. She was blond and older (looking) than Ned. Hopefully this will be fixed with older Lyanna. 

4 hours ago, DarkerStar said:

I think people should really get used to the idea of a Tower of Joy scene that neither proves not disproves R+L. Just save yourself some disappointment.

I don't think they would bother shooting a flashback that doesn't reveal anything. They could have done that in the first season. D&D don't like flashbacks and did them only when absolutely necessary to a get a point or a storyline across. There's a huge hype around around the flashback scenes both among fans and in the media echo of the trailer/preview too. Shooting a flashback to not reveal what needs to be revealed is something Martin would do, this is D&D and the season 6, they have to start wrapping up the story. They will reveal R+L this season, maybe not in episode 3 in the fighting scene, but in another flashback in a later episode. 

1 hour ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

Both Lyenna + Ned would have known that Jon Snow would have been dead with a Targaeryen name. Imagine Ned comming home with the suckling and telling his people - "oh that's my bastard - I called him Aegon, just because I liked the name". In the meantime Robert is out killing everyone he suspects to be of "dragon spawn". Simply not possible. If Jon was to life he needed a very non Targ name.  

Yeah, that's probably why Ned named him Jon too. Legit point. 

The unfortunate truth is that no matter how the TOJ scene is shown next week most book readers will find outrage because "my" favorite character did this or she should have looked like that, blah blah blah. I mean, how can people truly be upset about Lyanna from this episode? She was exactly like the book, a good horse rider and good older sister, what more did you expect from 15 seconds of screen time?

Personally I am liking what I have seen, they have the stand off and even the lines from the book in the preview.

This is where we should meet Howland Reed finally! Since Meera is with Bran I would think they have to include Howland here.

Now, if they did the TOJ scene and don't do the "promise me Ned" part this season, yeah, that would piss me off. They are linked and why show one without the other? 

5 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Either way, ToJ without the political context of Rhaegar, Arthur, Gregor, etc.. .it's not ToJ.

That's the bad thing about TV/Movies...real warfare doesn't look as good on screen.

There's a scene in the extended version of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven (I suggest everyone watching the extended version, completely different movie) in which Guy fights Balian with two swords...it was a great scene, although completely unrealistic.

44 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The unfortunate truth is that no matter how the TOJ scene is shown next week most book readers will find outrage because "my" favorite character did this or she should have looked like that, blah blah blah. I mean, how can people truly be upset about Lyanna from this episode? She was exactly like the book, a good horse rider and good older sister, what more did you expect from 15 seconds of screen time?

Personally I am liking what I have seen, they have the stand off and even the lines from the book in the preview.

This is where we should meet Howland Reed finally! Since Meera is with Bran I would think they have to include Howland here.

Now, if they did the TOJ scene and don't do the "promise me Ned" part this season, yeah, that would piss me off. They are linked and why show one without the other? 

I've seen comments about how bad Lyanna was..."SHE WAS BLOND! OUTRAGE!"...I just don't care anymore about that kind of nitpick.

Is there really enough time to show everything though?

The Knight of the Laughing Tree.
The crowning of Queen of Love and Beauty.
The elope.
Brandon bursting into the Red Keep.
Rickarrd and Brandon's killing.
Ned and Robert calling their Banners.
Battle of the Trident.
Sack of King's Landing, Kingslaying.
Tower of Joy.

Some of these have been mentioned on the show but if you start using the flashbacks as a history lesson (rather than just to inform Bran and the viewer of R+L=J) then you get into a situation where you more or less need to show most if not all of the above.

I am looking forward to it very much though. It was one of the scenes I was most looking forward to this year.

11 minutes ago, RedShirt47 said:

Is there really enough time to show everything though?

The Knight of the Laughing Tree.
The crowning of Queen of Love and Beauty.
The elope.
Brandon bursting into the Red Keep.
Rickarrd and Brandon's killing.
Ned and Robert calling their Banners.
Battle of the Trident.
Sack of King's Landing, Kingslaying.
Tower of Joy.

Some of these have been mentioned on the show but if you start using the flashbacks as a history lesson (rather than just to inform Bran and the viewer of R+L=J) then you get into a situation where you more or less need to show most if not all of the above.

I am looking forward to it very much though. It was one of the scenes I was most looking forward to this year.

This is why I would LOVE to see a different series all about the events leading up to and including Robert's Rebellion. Hell it could be done in 1 season.

What I am most interested in with the TOJ and R=L=J is to find out how it is relevant to the rest of the story. I'm still not sure why Jon being a Targ matters? I'm still not sure why anyone being a Targ matters?

Just now, ummester said:

What I am most interested in with the TOJ and R=L=J is to find out how it is relevant to the rest of the story. I'm still not sure why Jon being a Targ matters? I'm still not sure why anyone being a Targ matters?

It will matter to Jon only in my opinion. Jon finding out the truth doesn't mean squat to the rest of Westeros. They wouldn't believe him even if they told him. The only other thing that could matter is if Dany somehow found out.

3 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Both. She was blond and older (looking) than Ned. Hopefully this will be fixed with older Lyanna. 

She was good. Since they don't have  Brandon on the show, so probably they figure to aged up Lyanna instead. I see no problem in this. Probably D&D likes to screw with books readers. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I just wanted to see Lyanna on the show so I'm looking away from nitpicking this time around.

8 minutes ago, DireGhost said:

It will matter to Jon only in my opinion. Jon finding out the truth doesn't mean squat to the rest of Westeros. They wouldn't believe him even if they told him. The only other thing that could matter is if Dany somehow found out.

Why would it even matter to Jon?

He was offered Winterfell and he turned it down because he is a man of the Nights Watch. Being the heir to the IT won't make him want the IT.

It could make him happy that his mum was a noble Stark who died rather than rejected him - but it will also make him sad to know Ned isn't his dad.

Besides all of this, John has been betrayed by the Nights Watch now - if anything I see him coming back pissed off. A misanthrope who doesn't give a fuck about humanity at all - he was killed for trying to defend it and make people get along, so his logical response would be 'fuck that lot'.

On 5/2/2016 at 2:00 PM, Ingelheim said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y685gVGRQ98

Look at Episode 3 preview. It looks like they even have used the exact dialogue.

Whay do you think?

Do you really want to get too excited about it. I hoped for excitement when the free folk pounded down the gate of castle black I expected Jon's resurrection to have deep meaning and significance in the whole R+L=J plot (green dreams etc) it can only be a let down. 

Just now, ummester said:

He was offered Winterfell and he turned it down because he is a man of the Nights Watch. Being the heir to the IT won't make him want the IT.

It could make him happy that his mum was a noble Stark who died rather than rejected him - but it will also make him sad to know Ned isn't his dad.

Besides all of this, John has been betrayed by the Nights Watch now - if anything I see him coming back pissed off. A misanthrope who doesn't give a fuck about humanity at all - he was killed for trying to defend it and make people get along, so his logical response would be 'fuck that lot'.

I think it will matter to him because he has embraced his entire identity as a bastard based on the idea that Ned dishonored himself and his mother was probably somebody unimportant. I really think finding out he had some VERY important parents and that their relationship (and subsequently his birth) brought about a war and the end of the Targ dynasty WILL affect him. I can't guess how it will affect him but I just don't see how it wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

Do you really want to get too excited about it. I hoped for excitement when the free folk pounded down the gate of castle black I expected Jon's resurrection to have deep meaning and significance in the whole R+L=J plot (green dreams etc) it can only be a let down. 

Yes, I'm excited about it, what can I say. It's one of the best parts of ASOIAF, and it looks like the put a lot of effort on it.

I just hope it's not a let down. But, well, it may be. We'll see.

27 minutes ago, DireGhost said:

This is why I would LOVE to see a different series all about the events leading up to and including Robert's Rebellion. Hell it could be done in 1 season.

:agree: a Robert's Rebellion prequel would be the perfect way to milk the cow to the last drop and still not screw up the story with additional seasons it doesn't actually need. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

She was good. Since they don't have  Brandon on the show, so probably they figure to aged up Lyanna instead. I see no problem in this. Probably D&D likes to screw with books readers. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I just wanted to see Lyanna on the show so I'm looking away from nitpicking this time around.

It admittedly makes sense and my brain knows Lyanna's hair color and age really doesn't matter at all, but I'm human too and even though I'm usually against nitpicking and pretty supportive of all the changes, there are a couple soft spots that will bug me too and Lyanna happens to be one. :/ 

8 minutes ago, ummester said:

It might not make him want the IT, but that doesn't mean he won't take the IT. It has been said, probably in connection with Ned, that those who don't yearn for power make the best leaders. Jon never wanted to be Lord Commander either, but he still was. Ned never wanted to be Lord of Winterfell, but he still was (Brandon was the leader, the older brother, Ned was taught how to follow). Rhaegar didn't want to be a warrior prince but he still was (one day he said it seems he has to become a warrior even though all he wanted was to read books and play his harp and sing). 

In this aspect Jon's character mirrors both Rhaegar and Ned, because he is the kind of person who doesn't want power but will not hide away from responsibility. That's what ultimately makes him good with power. 

Plus, he might as well fall in love with the Night King's immortal daughter and have to come into his Targaryen heritage and retake the Iron Throne to win her hand in marriage, you can never know.

Archived