Football: Fox hunt failed - Leicester are Champions!

Mexal

When Hodgson moved Rashford to the wing at half time to accommodate Rashford I proper rolled my eyes, but Rooney turned out to be the best player on the pitch so...

Still an odd one for a friendly though. Kane's first choice in the main striker role, so surely Woy wants to see Wooney in more of a support role or midfield to see how that goes?

The 4-3-3 helps Rooney because it leaves room for him to drop deep to pick up the ball and hit a cross-field pass, while still leaving pacy attackers upfront in the space he vacated.  Rashford isn't great with the ball at his feet: twice he received a pass in space with a chance to attack the goal and both times his bad touch took away the chance, plus he dribbled into avoidable dead-ends a couple of times.  Sterling got two assists and was able to stroll past the RB with ease.  None of the midfield worked particularly well -- the wrong mix of shape and personnel.  Clyne and Bertrand got forward well even if neither created much.  Sterling and Rashford stayed pretty wide in the second half and reduced the room for the FBs to get forward.  The CBs looked vulnerable and Clyne was surprisingly weak defending high crosses.

But it was a training match with a lot of unfamiliar faces.  I'm a bit surprised that Hodgson isn't focusing on playing time for his preferred XI since it looks a bit different from qualifying games, but that's his choice.

The playoff final has been pretty entertaining thus far. Great strike from Diame to give Hull a deserved lead. A bit more composure in front of goal and Hull would have been out of sight already. Westwood has been Wednesday's best player.

Hull promoted. Same story the last two years in the Championship playoffs: a side out of its depth in the Premier League gets relegated, manages to get into the playoffs the next season despite being mediocre at best - mainly due to the benefits of having recently played Premier League football, scrapes through those playoffs back to the Premier League, before inevitably getting relegated once again. I am pleased for Steve Bruce, but the other three sides would have offered a lot more with a summer to invest the tv money.

Time for a new thread with the CL final coming up?

CL final is about to kick-off but I think I'll take my son out to the park instead.  90 minutes of chippy fouls and exaggerated dives doesn't seem worth missing a Saturday afternoon with him. 

And boy are they milking the pre-game. 

We're only five minutes in, but Pepe has already rolled around in "pain". Didn't take him long to remind me what a first class asshole he is. 

He's basically a defender version of Diego Costa. Someone you hope someday will get his very deserved six-years ban.

Atleti have started strangely poorly, giving away chances that they should never do. Casemiro could easily have got a goal a few minutes before Ramos. Probably the side you would least expect to be suffering from nerves. 

Archived