[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

14 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah that's seems pretty logical.
I think the problem here, or at least this my impression, is that D & D want to "back load" everything. In other words they want to hold back all the big stuff until the end of the season. But doing that just makes things not very logical.
You'd expect that to be one of the first things Jon would ask Sansa. But, that seemingly brings in a whole bunch of complications D & D just don't want to deal with or want to put off to later and it just makes things really strange.

There is something wrong with a show that has to "trick" viewers in to watching. First, I do appreciate that dead-Jon was not carried out beyond two full episodes... but everyone, even show only people, knew he was coming back. So now Jon is back and they have to stretch out the new mystery of who his parents are. Bran takes over in that sense with his visions. ToJ being split into two episodes just feels like a ratings grab. Having only 2 minute snippets of Dany here and there feels like a ratings grab. The whole idea of the first few episodes being slow just to build the story feels like a ratings grab. People want to know the ending and have to go through tons of filler just to get there. With so many stroylines in the works, there is no valid reason for most of this.

This is a big hint, I think. I can't wait to see how this plays out:

Even after several seasons apart, Williams says that Arya’s hope of reuniting with Jon has been “the one thing that’s keeping her sane. Although she loves Bran and misses Bran to pieces and loves Sansa and misses Sansa to pieces, if someone’s your family, but you don’t see them for years, they’re still your family, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you have that bond anymore, and I think that’s how it would be with Bran and Sansa. It’s like, ‘I don’t know you anymore, and I don’t really want to.’ With Jon, there was a connection there, and they would always want to see each other again and that’s what’s been keeping her [going]. So discovering that news would send her down a bad path.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-6-jon-snow-dead-alive-1201752873/

Arya is one of the few ones I still sort of care about on the show. But I always thought this would happen in the books, too. This is going to be a big moment, when Arya finds out what they did to Jon.

And they likey the big moment on the show. I think they are setting up two of these big moments, the other with Sansa and Sandor. And I bet they tie the Arya and Sandor stories together, to lead up to the big moments.

The only thing I'm wondering about is Brienne. She's about to have a big moment with Jaime. How does that tie in? I bet it all ties in. Collision course in the Riverlands. Larry HAS to break it off with Carol, and become Jaime.

But what does Jaime do after that? That's the real spoiler, not this stuff we already guessed. That these reunions are ahead is inevitable. The next book will be the good stuff, the rest of the story...

12 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

That has basically been Emilia's text for the two episodes she was in - reciting her titles. Other than that she got to shoot some rape talking Dothraki's dead with her eyes unsuccesfully.

Dany spent a season(year) with the dothraki. She should know by now that they don’t give a frak about titles. Those are hammered down every episode for us viewers.

She is the mother of dragons. Drogon will make an appearance, and she’ll be riding the best mount in the world.

She’s the unburnt. So they’ll probably make full time immune to fire(the brazier scene). This way, they can convince her to show us her boobs again. And make her the bestest Targ ever, yay. She did say that she will do nude if it’s for ‘plot purposes’.

Breaker of chains. She will change the traditions, becoming the first Khaleesi to rule a khalasar.

I hope D&D will realise someday that we do have a longer memory span like that of a goldfish, but I wouldn’t hold my breath about it.

2 minutes ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

Dany spent a season(year) with the dothraki. She should know by now that they don’t give a frak about titles. Those are hammered down every episode for us viewers.

She is the mother of dragons. Drogon will make an appearance, and she’ll be riding the best mount in the world.

She’s the unburnt. So they’ll probably make full time immune to fire(the brazier scene). This way, they can convince her to show us her boobs again. And make her the bestest Targ ever, yay. She did say that she will do nude if it’s for ‘plot purposes’.

Breaker of chains. She will change the traditions, becoming the first Khaleesi to rule a khalasar.

I hope D&D will realise someday that we do have a longer memory span like that of a goldfish, but I wouldn’t hold my breath about it.

Emilia was a total nobody before the show. The excessive nudity probably put a lot of others off going for this part. Emilia got the part because she looked good nude. Now we have to suffer the consequences. Maybe the directors realise how bad she really is and give her few lines. Like with Jon Snow.

16 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Arya is one of the few ones I still sort of care about on the show. But I always thought this would happen in the books, too. This is going to be a big moment, when Arya finds out what they did to Jon.

And they likey the big moment on the show. I think they are setting up two of these, the other with Sansa and Sandor. And I bet they tie the Arya and Sandor stories together, to lead up to the big moments.

Agree with this. I think that is what they are doing with both stories.

14 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

First, I do appreciate that dead-Jon was not carried out beyond two full episodes... but everyone, even show only people, knew he was coming back.

I think this whole thing demonstrates their mindless obsession with doing the "big dramatic reveal." I mean most informed people knew Jon was coming back. But, D & D instead have Kit go out and basically tell a few big whoppers. They could have just had him say just watch next season to see if Jon is coming back with no further comment.
Yet, they have Kit go out and tell a big whopper that most informed people really didn't believe.

Re: Emilia.  They shot the pilot with another actress, the woman who played Catherine Howard on The Tudors.   So, I don't believe it was the nudity...young actresses for a chance to do a major show on HBO...I'd guess 8/10 would have no problem with it.

I don't know what has happened to her, I really thought she was good in Season 1.  She was terrible in Season 2, and has never fully rebounded..but it may be that as others have said, she only has those 3 talents...the deadpan regal delivery, the long gaze and looking good in the blonde wig.  She probably needs more direction, but she must have gotten that on Terminator..and no good.  She doesn't really bother me anymore except for the most egregious stuff like I will break the wheel DEADPAN+LONG GAZE.

Emilia now is far down on the list of GOT problems though.  Far down.

GRRM liked the actor who played Dany in the original pilot. He had good things to say about her. And she played the wedding night scene with Jason the way it is in the books. He said the scene was sexy. (It's funny, he said even the horses got excited!) Emilia asked to change it. She couldn't work it out with Jason, but the other one could.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Re: Emilia.  They shot the pilot with another actress, the woman who played Catherine Howard on The Tudors.   So, I don't believe it was the nudity...young actresses for a chance to do a major show on HBO...I'd guess 8/10 would have no problem with it.

I don't know what has happened to her, I really thought she was good in Season 1.  She was terrible in Season 2, and has never fully rebounded..but it may be that as others have said, she only has those 3 talents...the deadpan regal delivery, the long gaze and looking good in the blonde wig.  She probably needs more direction, but she must have gotten that on Terminator..and no good.  She doesn't really bother me anymore except for the most egregious stuff like I will break the wheel DEADPAN+LONG GAZE.

Hey, she looks good without the blonde wig too!

And she...uh...

Hmm....

Wears blue dresses well?

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Re: Emilia, I truly think it has to do with the directors and the tone they are trying so very hard to achieve for the show.

Have you seen the previews for her newest movie Me before You? SHE HAS MORE THAN ONE FACIAL EXPRESSION!  Her face moves, she smiles :lol:, she sometimes looks sad :crying:, and sometimes in-between :drool:... but never deadpan.

23 minutes ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

As far as Dany's titles, having her recite them every episode means that much less actual meaningful dialogue they have to write. Because they really are quite terrible at writing dialogue these days!

I'm sorry to say but I think a lot of show watchers who are not obsessed with the source material or the show ... Really don't remember these things. I have a super nice acquaintance who used to ask me for book spoilers about his favorite characters and after five seasons, the only character whose name he knew was Arya's. Otherwise he just referred to people by their attributes - the little guy, the dragon girl, etc. And he definitely didn't remember or care about people like Greatjon etc. I think maybe the show is now geared to that type of casual watcher more than to people who've read the books and that's resulted in a lot of the plot holes that are so painfully obvious to us. I mean, it's still spectacular (if dark) to look at and between that and affection people have built up for the characters carries the show a long way. But it is, IMO, absurd to call this the best show on tv right now (or of all time) when shows like "The Americans" are on the air.

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Re: Emilia, I truly think it has to do with the directors and the tone they are trying so very hard to achieve for the show.

Have you seen the previews for her newest movie Me before You? SHE HAS MORE THAN ONE FACIAL EXPRESSION!  Her face moves, she smiles :lol:, she sometimes looks sad :crying:, and sometimes in-between :drool:... but never deadpan.

Wow! That's actually a movie I think I'd like to see (and the fact that Janet McTeer and Charles Dance are in it is icing on the cake!) Emilia looks lovely and what is that word I'm looking for ... human??

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

She definitely seems to be showing more range.  Though her manic pixie girl seemed like it was coming on strong to me in the trailer, but that's subjective.

I always thought that Euron was at least 40 something, so it seems that he is the best magician in Westeros; he was able to mask himself as a 30 something who looks more like Theon's older brother than Theon's uncle and he doesn't even wear glamour.

I don't care tho. WELCOME KASPER! 

8 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I always thought that Euron was at least 40 something, so it seems that he is the best magician in Westeros; he was able to mask himself as a 30 something who looks more like Theon's older brother than Theon's uncle and he doesn't even wear glamour.

I don't care tho. WELCOME KASPER! 

Maybe Euron is also secretly 500 years old. maybe he's BLoodraven. Anything is possible! Except an eyepatch apparently!

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree, we'll see how she does w/that.

Well, she comes across as very charming in her interviews so if she is playing herself, I'm sure she'll be charming ;)

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I can't get over the "not one weak episode" line. I mean, seriously, we've watched only 3 episodes so far, and the holes in the story are even worse than last year's. I can't remember one scene that didn't require some level of mental gymnastics so far, the only difference is how hard you have to work to make any of these plot lines to "work". 

There's not one weak episode, there's ten of them!! :commie:

2 hours ago, Gabriele said:

Can we have Dr. Who just ereasing seasons 4-6 then? 

I would love this.

2 hours ago, The_half_fan said:

With all the budget they had, they could have hired a team of writers to help them out. Instead the money went on dire wolf CGI.

Chance would have been a fine thing.  Unortunately it was spent on the sooper speedy skeletons.  Damn, I hate those.

3 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I did not mind her acting much last season during the scenes with Ian McElhinney? Maybe it has to do with the fact it was no deadpan, nice scenes (except manipulation), or maybe it was because she acting towards Ian?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7QWRPw0eFA 

This scene is a good one. It was just before Barry died :frown5:

Archived