Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

Is it just me or have there been a weirdly large number of people losing their phones lately? I swear like four friends have posted on Facebook (publicly, so it's not just that all my friends hate me and are pretending to have lost their phones so I won't call them) in the last two days about losing their phones and only being contactable by email/FB. Maybe they all had Samsungs and the company is sending ninjas out to steal them back before they do something embarrassing like burst into flames...

My estranged wife has a cousin who is a doppelganger of our daughter! They look so alike that if it were not for the obvious age gap of four years, you'd think they were twins. If I were to introduce them as sisters, no one would have any doubt. I always ask myself why this is so. I remember many years ago when I held my wife's cousin as a baby in my lap that I hoped I'd get a daughter like her.  

Americans, is there a work-cultural thing over there where people's personal hobbies are considered somehow relevant? Is that why this person has used her cover letter to tell me about how much she enjoys playing competitive water polo? "Great, I'm sure that will come in really useful with helping to run our website."

3 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

Americans, is there a work-cultural thing over there where people's personal hobbies are considered somehow relevant? Is that why this person has used her cover letter to tell me about how much she enjoys playing competitive water polo? "Great, I'm sure that will come in really useful with helping to run our website."

No idea, but my dad used to work and hire people in the US and was constantly running into cultural differences. He loved it when people would put their fraternity on their CV. He'd reasonably point out he had no clue what these greek symbols meant and invite the candidate to explain in detail why they were relevant to the job at hand.

11 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

Not an american, but I have taken a CV-writing class where it was said we can include hobbies in at least our cover letters. I assume there's a bit of teamwork going on in competitive water polo? If so it might be relevant in that regard. People with the same or similar interests can of course bond over them as well, so you might get a better fit for the team if they too enjoy playing competitive water polo.

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Tue rhymes with chew for me

Interesting.  

I don't think I've ever noticed anyone pronouncing it any other way.  I might need to start polling people...

I'm frequently mocked by the GF for my pronunciation of umbrella (UM-brella).  And ever since this started I've noticed that no one else really pronounces it that way, including my parents, so I have no idea where it came from.

1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

Interesting.  

I don't think I've ever noticed anyone pronouncing it any other way.  I might need to start polling people...

I'm frequently mocked by the GF for my pronunciation of umbrella (UM-brella).  And ever since this started I've noticed that no one else really pronounces it that way, including my parents, so I have no idea where it came from.

Do they say umber-Ella? I know people who pronounce it that way but I do the same as you

Long ago (10 years ago?) I used to visit SciFi Wire for news on science & science fiction, but then it turned to shit and I asked the board, "Oh board, whereforth shall I go that isn't shit for news on the topics of interest to me?"  And Lo, the board responded, "Get thee to the io9.com and thy questions shall be answered."  And I was content, that io9's content was not shit content.  But now io9 has gone to shit, and I asked the board again, "Board, whereforth shall I go for science and science fiction news that isn't shit?"

The other day I was at the movie theater. I was walking toward the snacks stand and glanced and smiled at a girl. She laughed nervously and told her friend 'He smiled at me!' I overheard and turned around and said to her 'Yes I did!' while smiling. This made her blush more and I continued to the snacks stand.

Archived