Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

I've got a sinus infection or something -- stuffed, runny nose, and coughing, for the last few days. People have been treating me like a leper, and I find it more funny than offensive. My stepmom politely asked me to step back from her at one point, a new person at work wouldn't shake my hand (I don't like handshakes anyway), the shuttle driver who took me from the airport looked back every time I coughed after calling the bus of 6-year-olds he shuttles a germ fest or something (so I know I made him nervous lol), and my roommate told me to cover my coughs differently. 

I've been noticeably sick 3 times since the spring, and for the first time since I was a kid maybe. Before now, normally when something was going around, I'd only get very mild versions of its symptoms for maybe a few hours and then it was just gone. Well, that's changed, and I blame it on the stress and self-care difficulties I've had since graduate school! 

8 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I found a pre-1965 quarter in some change I received today. Weird how those guys still sometimes slip back into circulation. 

Yeah I have a jar of old coins at home and still come across the silver quarters a few times a year.  Older rare-ish dimes and nickles not that uncommon either... back before christmas I picked up a buffalo nickel in some change which I thought was neat.  Hadn't seen one of those since I was a kid

So l, I'm doing a routine rewatch of Lost and I realize how silly the term African-American is in our increasingly globalized world.

Bernie is asking Mr Eko about him seeing the dead bodies from the plane crash. He asks if any of the bodies were African-American. 

Here we have an American asking an African if he recognized any of the dead bodies as being African-American. Mindfuk.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working in the grad office right now. Somebody taped a piece of paper over the door's window. I find this funny, though I don't know why they did it. I work in here fairly often and I can't say people peeping in the window has been a nuisance but maybe I'm just here during more peaceful hours?

Also it was an obstacle course getting in here today. The building I normally cut through to get to this building was locked, so I went through a side path outside. The sidewalk was pretty well covered in ice, but there was bare spots and non-sidewalk areas I used to get around the icy walkway, that and I just tread carefully or grabbed onto things if possible when there weren't good places to walk. The fact that I'm in worn boots that really lack traction made this a little more risky. It was all actually kind of fun, haha. I actually want to walk that way again on the way out, heh.

I think my days of gastritis (if that is the problem) are coming to a close. It's been a pain for 8 months or so. My appetite has been very poor, I have nausea on and off over the day and sometimes almost all day, I typically eat from 5 pm until midnight or after everyday because food goes down slowly and my appetite is worst during the day so I under-eat, and then I only get 5 hours of sleep a night because my hunger wakes me up. It's just a pain.

My doc realized a few weeks ago that I might have gastritis and recommended I take whatever Prilosec is made of. It seems to be slowly but surely helping to fix my stomach.

On the flip side of this experience, I think I have more empathy for people with health issues and I think I'll feel more grateful about my own health.

:(:grouphug:  Do you have more irons in the fire?

I have a cold and haven't left the house since Saturday. My boss expects me back in the office tomorrow so we can chat about cover for a colleague's upcoming three-week-holiday. I can't say more than two words in succession at the moment due to wheezing. I intend to take paper and pen so I can write my responses...

13 hours ago, Zoë Sumra said:

:(:grouphug:  Do you have more irons in the fire?

I have a cold and haven't left the house since Saturday. My boss expects me back in the office tomorrow so we can chat about cover for a colleague's upcoming three-week-holiday. I can't say more than two words in succession at the moment due to wheezing. I intend to take paper and pen so I can write my responses...

Ugh; I hate colds so much and EVERY winter I get a bad cold'chest infection without fail! Can't you take any more time off??? I like the pen and paper idea though lol - hope you feel better soon. 

I really, really wanted this job and I would have been good at it too and i'm not applying to any others at the moment; I have a part time job, working on a MA and live with my parents lol but I honestly can't wait to get out, get my own place and work full time/close to full time. I'm gonna just stay here for a bit and learn to drive and maybe try and volunteer again in my local museum for a few months. I'm just worried about being stuck here where there's really NOTHING for me 

Archived