50 Dead, Dozens Wounded in Orlando Club Shooting

Jace, Extat

2 minutes ago, Maester Drew said:

As the Devil's advocate I'll ask, Where did his homophobia come from? It may indeed come from his religion, given that Islam isn't exactly what one would call, "gay friendly."

But those that knew him most closely said he's not very religious.

25 minutes ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

The media knows that if they make this about Islamic terrorism, their audience will keep watching.  If it's about dead LGBT people, they'll change channels to the Golf Channel.

Yep. A combination of who the victims are and the Islamophobia the permeates the media and society as a whole

15 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Funny how a brown person does something like that and it's all about religion, but when some shitfuck white person commits violence on behalf of Jesus everyone just says motherfucker is crazy.

Either that or they are "not a Responsible Gun Owner" or it's an "isolated incident." So sickening.

My thoughts and condolences to those killed/injured and their loved ones. :( 

18 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Funny how a brown person does something like that and it's all about religion, but when some shitfuck white person commits violence on behalf of Jesus everyone just says motherfucker is crazy.

Funny how people get butthurt when the motivation for the tragedy du jour cannot be used to further their own personal agenda. Wait, that's not funny; it's fucking sick.

RIP. This one hits close to home.

And now the police in California have arrested a man with weapons and explosives that says he was heading to the Gay Pride parade.

There isn't a connection, but the hate they both felt. (so far)  http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-gay-pride-la-weapons-20160612-snap-story.html  I am so glad this one was stopped.

In the past year there have been over 100 anti-LGBT laws put forth in various US States.

But people get butthurt when this is made about radical Islam instead of about the combination of hate and easily available weapons? 

I'm so sorry for all of this.

FYI: many ISIS soldiers aren't particularly religious and certainly aren't devout. The idea that he couldn't have been part of ISIS or couldn't have been inspired by them isn't really reasonable. That said, no one knows anything.

43 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Maester Drew,

Chrisitianity in most forms isn't particularly friendly towards LGBT either.  

That's true, and if the shooter had been a fundamentalist Christian, I'd be pointing out his religious background as a possible motivation behind the attack.

Anyways, a friend of mine said this:

The worst thing we can do to our enemy is to carry on...

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I think it's at least partly a function of who reads the news early on a Sunday morning and then thinks to come here to comment on it. It's still before 9am on the West coast of the US, and before noon on the East Coast.

Yeah, I only just heard about it, and that's because I was checking the Broncos message board for info on Von Miller. They had a thread there. It's really awful. I think people (Americans in question) won't take this as just passing news. This is truly shocking to see. You see something like Sandy Hook and hope that is the last time you'll ever see/hear/feel that again, but it keeps happening, and it's the same gut punch again and again.

I have seen a lot of Islamaphobia being bandied about the internet (not here, that's why I like it here), and I hate that people forget how often this has happened by our own white, homegrown terrorists for the last 25 years. It is getting worse. I don't know what to say, except that we see the power of ideology presenting itself in powerful, disturbing ways. I suppose that's a topic for another thread.

2 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I suppose that's a topic for another thread.

I would say so, yes. And perhaps another time, when we know more about what's happened.

Right now, we know one thing: innocent people have died and been injured. It's a moment for grief and sympathy from us all.

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Partly what Xray said in that it's still early on a Sunday here.  But also, there really isn't much to say about it anymore since this country decided that they were perfectly fine with a room full of kindergartners being mowed down.  This is my daily reality.  People will be mowed down by bullets, the brown perpetrators will be called thugs or terrorists, the white ones will be mentally ill.  No one cares because the NRA has convinced them that they all need to have to have guns.  

After Sandy Hook, I don't know what to do. I've written this before, but I'll say it again. When I left the military and found I had access to higher quality assault rifles on the civilian market, I was speechless. There is no reason for citizens to possess high capacity weapons created to kill as many people as possible in as little time as possible. When our second graders were murdered and nothing happened, I lost hope. I remember the solution being bandied about then, as I was still teaching in public schools, was to arm the teachers. Because of my military experience, people would say, "you'd be ideal for this, right?" I'd say every time that I would never carry a gun again. Not as a teacher, as a parent, as a citizen. Certainly never in a classroom. That's not the kind of world I wanted to promote or promise to the students.

But even then, nothing happened.

3 minutes ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

I would say so, yes. And perhaps another time, when we know more about what's happened.

Right now, we know one thing: innocent people have died and been injured. It's a moment for grief and sympathy from us all.

I meant a more general discussion about the problem of ideology in general, like an Althusser inspired Marxist-themed thread on ideological state apparatuses--I apologize if it came off specifically judgmental. I'll be more careful. :mellow:

18 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm so sorry for all of this.

FYI: many ISIS soldiers aren't particularly religious and certainly aren't devout. The idea that he couldn't have been part of ISIS or couldn't have been inspired by them isn't really reasonable. That said, no one knows anything.

Maybe we should have a separate thread for this?

In any case, we do know some things. For example, Reuters says that the IS has claimed responsibility for the attacks. There's also this CNN article which claims that the FBI investigated him in two cases related to Islamic extremism, but didn't find enough evidence to charge him. It also says that he called 911 and outright stated his allegiance. It's not quite enough to be sure, but it certainly looks that the people who thought they knew him well enough to determine his motivations didn't know him as well as they thought.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. My condolences to the victims and their close ones. A great tragedy with many innocent lives lost and I find myself unable to find any appropriete words to describe what's going through my mind. People should be allowed to live without the risk of being gunned down.

The question of "religious motivation" in a case like this is complex. Someone who has the degree of hatred toward some group of people who they define as being "different" from themselves may well justify that in their own mind as "doing God's will" without them being active participants in a religious community. Actually, having that degree of hatred may lead to being LESS involved in a mosque, church, or synagogue precisely because the hater knows that in most such places in the USA -- even those who may spout some anti-gay rhetoric -- he will also hear that his degree of hatred and violence is wrong. Such people will often think that average religious people are "too soft" on whatever the group is they hate.

One of course will need more information about this particular case -- but it's perfectly possible this man believed he was doing God's will even while realizing that most other Muslims would disagree with him, and while not participating overtly in religious activities.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to bring your attention to this: The Upstairs Lounge Fire in New Orleans.

All I can say is, I am glad to live in a world in which this recent tragedy faced by the LGBT community isn't met with casual indifference as it was for the Upstairs Lounge all those years ago. And instead, we see so much love pouring out for the victims, the families, and the community, it really warms my heart. :love:

Archived