[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

2 minutes ago, Ser Greenseer said:

Another thing that bothered me, when Brienne was explaining the situation to the Blackfish she said that Sansa wants to reclaim her home and take her rightful place as lady of Winterfell. The thing is she is not the rightful heir to Winterfell. Bran is, and she and Jon KNOW he is alive yet have made no mention of him.

Yeah, considering Jon knows about Bran being alive and everyone knows Rickon is alive now, the talk should be about finding Bran and placing Rickon as Lord of Winterfell in the interim, like how Robb acted as head of the house when Ned went to King's Landing. Sansa is third in line, second at best if they can't find Bran and assume he's dead.

I wouldn't be surprised if the writers are intending on killing off Rickon and placing Sansa as head of the house because they can't find Bran and they're getting ahead of themselves and showing their hand in the dialogue without realising.

Either that, or Brienne has been having secret meetings with the Bad Pussy Brigade and they've convinced her to accept Dorne's ways as her own and she's planning to Queenmaker Sansa.

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Yeah, considering Jon knows about Bran being alive and everyone knows Rickon is alive now, the talk should be about finding Bran and placing Rickon as Lord of Winterfell in the interim, like how Robb acted as head of the house when Ned went to King's Landing. Sansa is third in line, second at best if they can't find Bran and assume he's dead.

I wouldn't be surprised if the writers are intending on killing off Rickon and placing Sansa as head of the house because they can't find Bran and they're getting ahead of themselves and showing their hand in the dialogue without realising.

Either that, or Brienne has been having secret meetings with the Bad Pussy Brigade and they've convinced her to accept Dorne's ways as her own and she's planning to Queenmaker Sansa.

Just based off Rickon's screen time, I'd say he's dead. It's bullshit, and I hope he fares better in the novels.

6 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Just based off Rickon's screen time, I'd say he's dead. It's bullshit, and I hope he fares better in the novels.

I agree. I think that poor Rickon is toast. Why else would they not bother to develop his character or show his imprisonment? I think he's fairly irrelevant to the end game and thus he has become expendable. They want to kill off a Stark so we hate Ramsey even more, but the other Starks are too important to the story to die.

I would love to spend time with Rickon and Osha on Skaagos in the books and I also hope he fares better in ASOIAF.

1 hour ago, Stannistician said:

There was no consequence or sacrifice for him being resurrected either.  This is terrible writing, I agree.  

For me the candle thing is really bad because they actually went out of their way to establish a consequential decision, and then either forgot or just said "fuck it, you know what would be cool...." and then went on to write this garbage also known as season 6 with no thought about any of the plots established in the prior seasons (or repercussions for plots in future seasons for that matter).   

Called having their cake and eating it too

2 hours ago, Ruhail said:

I miss Joe Dempsie as Gendry :/

He is safer wherever he is... Now that they sold him down the river, he could be anything in any storyline. Maybe he and Hot Pie started a bakery. He tends to the ovens. With his shirt off. Arya will ask everyone, where do hot blacksmiths go?

So let me get this strait, GRRM, in the books, has Arya assume many different identities. Arry, Weasel, Nan, Squab, Salty, Cat, Beth, Mercy, and I'm sure there might be some minor ones that I'm missing. And somehow, after reading their crib sheets, d$d figured that a good way to adapt this amazing character from the written page to a visual medium was to give her the identities of Wolverine and Sarah fucking Connors. 

Like what???? Seriously d$d. these censored, censored, censored, censoredare not only showing no interest in even attempting to adapt the books anymore, but they are vindictively doing everything in their power to destroy and defecate all over this brilliant and beautiful story.

You know, after things like "play with her arse", "You want the bad pussy", warty fucking cocks, enough crude dick jokes to fill a "101 funniest lamest" book, along with the countless other atrocities that d$d have committed while adapting this story, I have had absolutely zero faith in them to make an even palatable adaption of ASOIAF. But even I, one of harshest cynics of d$d didn't think that they could stoop so low as to give us this horrible, and offensive of a show as they have this season.

I am so utterly embarrassed to think of all the people that I talked into watching this show after season 1. :blushing: :leaving:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/13/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-explains-why-arya-was-never-goin/

"I wanted her to look like she was struggling. I didn’t want [the chase stunts] to be unnecessary or superhuman. I got on set and they were [going to have Arya] rolling around, and diving, and I was like, 'That looks amazing, but no.' I’d be like, 'Why would she run over there? She’d just duck under here and just get out."

LOL you know there are serious problems with the writing when your 19 year old actress is questioning the logic in the scene and could probably write a better storyline than the actual writers themselves. They wanted to have her stabbed for the shock value but also wanted an epic chase sequence so they ignore all the inconsistencies to make it happen. Just proof that they wanted to have their cake and eat it to.

Does anyone else think the ensemble cast of GoT is kind of weak to most huge shows?  Peter Dinklage is the superstar, and sometimes the dialogue doesn't even make him look great, and he's a fantastic actor.  Maisie Williams is good. Sean Bean and Mark Addy were good.  I like Alfie Allen.  Aiden Gillen was great in The Wire and Queer as Folk but he is shit in this show.  Same thing with Iwan Rheon.  He gives it his all but Ramsay is boring.  Turner is obviously out of her league.  Clarke and Harrington, eh....not exactly amazing.  I wonder how much it has to do with talent vs. shitty material to work with.  I think one good example is the Rome alumni - Indira Varma, Tobias Menzies, and Ciarán Hinds. They were really great in Rome but pretty unmemorable or boring in GoT.  It really is hard to tell when it's this bad. And honestly, I haven't seen most of the cast in other things.  

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

I think that poor Rickon is toast... I think he's fairly irrelevant to the end game and thus he has become expendable. They want to kill off a Stark so we hate Ramsey even more, but the other Starks are too important to the story to die.

Otherwise known as the Weasley Cop-out

------------------------------------------------------

After all my bitching, and everyone else's, about the terrible writing, I think what we're really seeing here, above all else, is that there simply isn't enough time. The writers are producing the show as well, and they're trying to get ten hours of TV done in a year, filming in 3 or 4 different countries, with a complicated story and a massive cast, etc, etc, and there simply aren't enough hours in the day.

This isn't meant to absolve them: rather, it's to say that they ought to delegate more, or hire more writers, or stretch out the production schedule, or whatever they have to do to compensate for the difficulties inherent in this production. If you bite off more than you can chew, then you'll have a hard time swallowing it. I'll go further: if you knowingly bite off more than you can chew, then you've only got yourself to blame when you choke.

1 hour ago, teemo said:

Does anyone else think the ensemble cast of GoT is kind of weak to most huge shows?  Peter Dinklage is the superstar, and sometimes the dialogue doesn't even make him look great, and he's a fantastic actor.  Maisie Williams is good. Sean Bean and Mark Addy were good.  I like Alfie Allen.  Aiden Gillen was great in The Wire and Queer as Folk but he is shit in this show.  Same thing with Iwan Rheon.  He gives it his all but Ramsay is boring.  Turner is obviously out of her league.  Clarke and Harrington, eh....not exactly amazing.  I wonder how much it has to do with talent vs. shitty material to work with.  I think one good example is the Rome alumni - Indira Varma, Tobias Menzies, and Ciarán Hinds. They were really great in Rome but pretty unmemorable or boring in GoT.  It really is hard to tell when it's this bad. And honestly, I haven't seen most of the cast in other things.  

IMHO, Dinklage hasn't been very good ever since the overacted trial speech scene. I know I'm in a minority on this, but I think he is overrated. Not bad, but not all that good, either. Really good, I feel, are Alfie Allen, Maisie (most of the time)), and many of the lesser characters (in fact, I think Menzies was great; also Lady Crane, and many others in the past, like Kari; in the past: Tywin, of course, and Oberyn.) I think Finn has done a very good job with what he has been given. But overall, yes, I think the cast is not outstanding as, say, the cast of Six Feet Under was.

On 6/12/2016 at 8:57 PM, LadyDoom said:

Super Arya survived a deadly stabbing and falling from a window 

I've seen people get crazy problems from swimming in city water without having an open wound in their gut, but I guess the blood of the House Stark has some pretty handy antibiotic properties, huh.  

32 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

IMHO, Dinklage hasn't been very good ever since the overacted trial speech scene. I know I'm in a minority on this, but I think he is overrated. Not bad, but not all that good, either. Really good, I feel, are Alfie Allen, Maisie (most of the time)), and many of the lesser characters (in fact, I think Menzies was great; also Lady Crane, and many others in the past, like Kari; in the past: Tywin, of course, and Oberyn.) I think Finn has done a very good job with what he has been given. But overall, yes, I think the cast is not outstanding as, say, the cast of Six Feet Under was.

I think even a show as weak as The Walking Dead has a stronger cast than GoT, to be honest.  They have Andrew Lincoln, Lennie James, Seth Gilliam, Chad Coleman, Lawrence Gilliard Jr....they are all amazing.  And that show has just a tiny fraction of the casting budget than GoT does, I'm sure.  I feel like GoT has one of the weakest ensembles on television right now.  

I liked Dinklage way more in his movies before GoT. 

26 minutes ago, teemo said:

I think even a show as weak as The Walking Dead has a stronger cast than GoT, to be honest.  They have Andrew Lincoln, Lennie James, Seth Gilliam, Chad Coleman, Lawrence Gilliard Jr....they are all amazing.  And that show has just a tiny fraction of the casting budget than GoT does, I'm sure.  I feel like GoT has one of the weakest ensembles on television right now.  

I liked Dinklage way more in his movies before GoT. 

I'm not watching TWD and I haven't seen PD in anything else, but I'll take your word for it! 

I liked Indira Varma in Rome, so when I accidentally spoiled myself she was cast (I was totally unsullied then), I was thrilled! And then... well, no words necessary.

ETA: Coming to think of it, the only other current show I watch is Silicon valley, which I enjoy.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Nice to meet another in the minority.  :cheers:  I completely agree on the over-egged trial speech.  Added to that, possibly one of the worst "English" accent approximations since Dick Van Dyke. :)  For me, he's better when he underplays, but he's had nothing worthwhile for the past two seasons anyway.

3 hours ago, teemo said:

I kinda agree... the problem to me is not that there are a lot of average actors (it always happens with huge casts), it's that the average actors were given the main roles while the good actors play secondary ones.

It's OK to have somebody average like Kit (who strikes me like a very humble genuine guy, btw), but you can't have him play Jon Snow when Pedro Pascal, who is twice the actor, plays like 4 episodes (he wouldn't be phisically apt to play Jon, but you see what I mean).

Dinklage is amazing, especially the downplayed scenes and how he constantly acts also with his eyes, not so many actors can do that (one of the best one at acting with his eyes was Alan Rickman - RIP - imo). It's sad that at the emmy ceremony they always recall some over-acted bit in the intro, while he does play sublety very well. For example, the scene between Tyrion and Oberyn in the cell was great, especially his reaction when Oberyn-Pedro told Tyrion he thought he was just a normal small newborn and not a monster. In this season, I liked how he told the story to the dragons, the part about the dragon being 'little like me'. Both downplayed. Same with his goodbye scene with Bronn, I really liked it. And one of his dialogues with Amelia in season5 was intentionally downplayed as well, I think. That said, the sh** material certainly impacts on him, the problem is that D&D totally ruined Tyrion in S6, having him act like a joke and say the most idiotic things..we have to thank he's good, just think at those stupid Missandei-Greyworm-Tyrion scenes, already bad as they are, in the hands of an average actor...#panic. He is very good but you can't do miracles when the script is sh*** and the narrative arch doesn't exist. I think they also ruined his Emmy chances and - unless something really big happens in the last episodes - Alfie Allen or somebody else might be nominated instead of him. I think, though, that he must have a big role in S7 and meaningful scenes (especially if GRRM pities D&D enough to help them with the script, after he releases TWOW) so the character might 'recover' and the actor might have another chance the following year. I've seen some of his other movies and I think The Station Agent and Game of Thrones are his best performances (I haven't seen his teathrical performances tho).

I can't say anything about the accent because honestly this is a problem only US people and in a smaller % UK people feel... the rest of the world doesn't care and doesn't even notice. I've seen on IMBD that US people especially care a lot about the UK/US accent iussue in general when posting comments about the movies ('like oh his bostonian accent was terrible' and stuff like that) as well as they usually care a huge lot about the nationality of the actor, which I've always found weird to be honest, why should I care? I just want him to be good ... for example I've noticed that usually US people complain when an american character is played by an european actor, it's not something we really care about in Europe and in my country specifically...I don't think any 'true' italian actor has ever played an italian person in any Hollywood movie.. they just take someone with an italian surname because there was an italian relative back in the days (btw, it's not like the dish 'fetuccine Alfredo' really exists, just to let you know ...) if the situation was the opposite, US people would burn the Studios complaining that a native US actor should have had that role or something like that..

Charles Dance was amazing as well, I totally love him and I place him in the same league as Peter, even if he was in his comfort zone (the stern authoritative figure is his stereotypical role) while Peter was not (his previous roles were quite different).

There were/are a lot of very good / good / decent ones, for example Pedro Pascal, Liam Cunningham, Lena headey, Alfie Allen (but he was hepled by the super-emotional scenes he was part of.. I mean you need to be a sh** actor to not make people feel most of the scenes he was in), Diana Rigg, Conleth Hill, Jerome Flynn, Gwendoline Christie (even if her role doesn't always let her show it) and I would even add Jack Gleeson, especially if we think he was so young and without experience. AidenG is Ok as well. I always thought Nicholas CW was average but since the show started he has improved, I think...same with MaisieW. Also many of the small roles are well played.

Then we have the average ones.

The problem is not that there are few very good actors and a mix of good and average actors, the problem is the average ones play the main roles (Kit, Sophie, Amelia, etc.- I was totally taken by surprise by Amelia's Emmy nom... I was like ehrrrr) and the good ones play secondary ones. I unferstand that phisicality had a role and that it's a commercial show with its rules, but I guess they could have done better.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Agree with all of that. I would add Rory, he doesn't let the weak actors (looking at you, Sophie) overplay in scenes with him, and he does humor well, too (makes it work with what they give him). Tobias brought his A game from Outlander, he really stood out, I forgot I was watching this dismal show during that scene with Jaime.

Archived